Winch Power & Control Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some confusion exists regarding the application of solenoids to winches. Warn typically provides an in-line solenoid (Single Pole Single Throw, or SPST) as a circuit breaker. On the Warn A2500, a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) solenoid (called a "Contactor" by Warn), controlled by a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch, is added and used to both power and to control the direction of rotation of the winch.

Superwinch also markets solenoid kits, usually used with larger-capacity winches. These kits have considerable bulk and weight; mounting them on an ATV may be a challenge.

The advantage of solenoid-controlled winches include potentially lower resistance than a manual reversing switch, meaning more juice to pull with; also, a light-gauge cable can be used with the low-current SPDT control switch, permitting remote operation of the winch.

I have been in search of a suitable DPDT solenoid for upgrading winches with manual reversing switches (like the Warn rotary switch, or the Superwinch rocker switch).

When asked, "Do you catalog a 12-volt, double pole double throw solenoid, capable of handling over 100 amps?", most electrical supply parts countermen either shurg, run screaming from the room, or call their buddies together, saying, "Hey guys, you'll never believe this. Listen! Now, fellow, just ask them what you asked me, a minute ago." This interrogation is followed by gales of laughter and enthusiastic jeering at the rube who asked for the unattainable part.

The performance demands are great for this solenoid, because winches pull so doggone many amps. If a sufficiently robust solenoid can be found, will it have the shunt capability, needed for dynamic braking of small permanent-magnet winch motors? Without a shunt, the winch will "coast," reducing control for operations like raising snowplow blades. (Manual winch switches typically have a shunt circuit built in; when in the "off" position, a dead short is placed across the winch motor terminals.)

Size is cricitcal--no one wants a solenoid too big to mount, as in requiring its own trailer.

But, don't despair! I've just received an (800) number, a part number, and a price ($20) for a promising piece of "electrical power management hardware," a 12-volt DPDT solenoid that might do the trick. Poster aczr2k asked me about this gadget; assuming others may be interested also, I'll check it out and report right here.

Tree Farmer

Old 10-03-2000, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TreeFarmer, what I have been using is similar to the setup that Superwinch sells as an accessory. It is 2 SPDT units used in conjunction. The parts I buy are actually sold as golf cart reversing switches. They are rated for 100 amps continuous. I get them through a local supplier for $8.95
I prewire the entire system do many of the connections with a "buss bar" rather than wire. I then install them in a PVC tube (approx 3 x 8 inches)and seal the ends leaving enough wire to reach the battery, the winch and light gauge wires to to the control switch to
minimize any exposed connections.
This setup has worked flawlessly for me for a number of years and I have used the same solenoids for about 7 years now. I also have installed it on 20 or so other quads with only one "comeback" due to a defective solenoid.
It has been a less costly alternative to buying
the Warn contactor. (which by the way they sell separately for 104 dollars I am told)
Trailboss450

Old 10-03-2000, 06:10 AM
Pro Rider

Would a fender mount starter solenoid work off an older Ford product? They are cheap, easy to find and are the same size (look the same) as the solenoid I got with my Warn winch. Not sure if they are SPST or DPDT.

Old 10-03-2000, 06:52 AM
Pro Rider

The Ford solenoid is a SPST type and is not able to switch current direction (polarity)by itself.
It is the same as the solenoids used on some Warn models but not the same as the CONTACTOR type switch used on the 2500 Warn...You could very well configure this type to work but you would need four of them to control the switching of polarity necessary to change winch direction.

Trailboss450

Old 10-03-2000, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

Your ideas should be adapted by the ATV winch manufacturers, trailboss450! The PVC pipe housing offers an advantage over typical sheet-metal winch solenoid boxes; the PVC pipe appears more water-resistant, and possibly can be made waterproof. Also, your rig is probably more shock-resistant than the store-bought setup (strong PVC pipe and the buss bar connectors), and mountable almost anywhere. Thanks for "transferring technology!"

Tree Farmer

Old 10-03-2000, 10:45 AM
Range Rover

I agree. I have a setup with 4 SPST solenoids that has worked great. It was a nightmare to wire the first time (I've got the boiled battery and fused wires to prove it!)

trailboss450, I will be getting in touch with you when I get next machine.

Here's another question for you guys: what kind of switch do you use to control the solenoid(s)? I've got a dual-throw, center-off momentary rocker switch made for a kitchen stove mounted in the "pod" of the handlebars. It's not as waterproof as I would like and I'm worried about dirt and dust getting inside. Has anyone found anything better?

Old 10-03-2000, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer

What am I missing here?
What's the problem with the unit that came with the winch?
Mine works fine. Could it be better? How? More power / less drain? What?
BTW, I mounted my Warn 2000 solenoid in the dry box and the on/off switch is in the seat release lever well, where it can't be bumped.

Old 10-03-2000, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

"Some confusion exists . . ."

You prove my point, 4wheelindakota.

The solenoid provided by Warn with A2000 winches merely interrupts or connects the hot wire from the battery to the control switch, a manually-operated reversing switch.

The solenoid power and control systems discussed, like the "contactor" on the Warn A2500, powers and reverses the winch through solenoid relay contacts instead of the manual reversing switch. I mentioned the advantages of this system above.

In fact, the only difference between the Warn A2000 and A2500 is the electrical power and control system, I think.

Tree Farmer

Old 10-03-2000, 07:38 PM
Range Rover

Tree Farmer, my post must have been deleted, but I am glad you seen it before it was. Thanks for the info and let me know what you find out. I called around again today and I seem to get the same answers/comments as you. I am posted on the electrical engineering newsgroup as well. You can email me if you like at bchristianson@astound.net
Thanks again
aczr2k

Old 10-04-2000, 04:12 AM
Pro Rider

I use a Cole-Hearse brand momentary switch.
Part# 55021-07. I also put a "toggle boot" on the switch. Part # M81264 also Cole-Hearse brand. Both should be available at most Auto stores such as Napa or others. Another thing I like to do is make a switch guard to prevent accidental activation of the switch.

Quick Reply: Winch Power & Control Solenoid