STREET LEGAL - why not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-1999, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would be great to ride your quad on the highway legally. It is surely safer then the crotch rockets that are flying up and down the roads. Motorcycles like the ninja, and katana, etc.. the local sheriff doesn't even bother with them because they can not catch them. I think fourwheelers are safer than motorcycles anyways.

Jeremy Cross
93 "turbo" T-wolf

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited 07-19-1999).]

Old 07-20-1999, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Now that the highway was mentioned...imagine flying down the highway with the speed limit 75!

Old 07-20-1999, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, guys,I just have to put my two cents in. My opinion, unsupported by any facts, is that one major reason quads are not automatically street legal is that they would be required to have differentials, allowing the inside wheel to rotate slower in turns, minumizing the tendency to bicyce in turns. Even tho some quads have differentials, most do not & the laws couldn't give preferential treatment to a select individual manufacturer.If this theory is true, then the question doesn't concern the law, but the manufacturers. Then the answer is :cost versus their perception of sales volume.

Anyway, another thought to chew on.

Cal, the Az hard packer

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 07-20-1999).]

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 07-20-1999).]

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 07-30-1999).]

Old 07-20-1999, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Cal. Quads with differentials would be fine, but a solid rear axle wouldn't. It would be freaky to be going 60 around a turn and have your tires lift off the ground. It would be pretty dangerous. Dirt bikes only have one wheel being driven so they don't have to worry about it.

Old 07-21-1999, 04:55 AM
Trailblazer

On the differential thing... I've driven a truck on the highway for years with a locked up rear diff. No, not a locker. Welded spider gears, so it's like a solid axel, and I've had no problems going around curves, etc. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

------------------
Michael "Lordmik" Magee

Stranded on a tropical island, for now...

Old 07-21-1999, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

Any 4 wheeler or greater vehicle falls under all the government safety regulations of an automobile. 3 wheelers fall under the same regulations as motorcycles. Until those laws are changed it will be impossible to ride our ATVs on the road legally without turning them into automobiles.
Scott.

Old 07-21-1999, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

who in there right mind would take a turn at 60MPH?
i would in a sports car maybe but sure as heck not on my atv DUH
so many people just DIEin to go faster

------------------
Chad "ZORLOC" Petersen

96 Yamaha Warrior K&N, Shock wears, WB E-series, AMP Link, Lone star Axcaliber axle, Realtor tires.

Old 07-21-1999, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

EXACTLY...it's not like we will be taking corners at high speeds in the first place. I noticed someone said something about that they are illegal unless we turned them into an automobile...what exactly does that mean? Let's just consider them automobliles and there we go. Really, though, giving them blinkers, mirrors, etc..., would that be turning them into an automobile?

Old 07-21-1999, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

I think turning them into automobiles might also probably entail seat belts, airbags, minimum rated bumpers and other things we can't even dream of that the suits in Washington would surely think up! Big Brother has to be in control and decide what's best for us since we are too ignorant to do it ourselves you know! (At least that seems to be what they think) Personally, I prefer riding mine in the woods where the cars can't go. I drove a Dodge Maxivan for years and there were a lot of people who couldn't seem to see me in it. At least they didn't seem to be able to - people were always pulling out directly in front of me, changing lanes causeing me to swerve and even hit me causing minor damage a couple of times! I figure I wouldn't have a chance on my quad!!!! I'll stick to the river bottoms thank you!

Mark Vinson

Old 07-26-1999, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

Since I have had several run-ins with the cops (unfortunately), I know now that in the state of Georgia you can ride a quad on the streets if it has blinkers, brake lights, insurance, and a tag, and the driver is wearing a helmet. I would never do all that but that's what I've been told.

------------------
Kevin JA Works of Georgia

1996 Yamaha Warrior

Quick Reply: STREET LEGAL - why not?