Here we go again...biased anti ATV media

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005 | 08:07 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Here we go again...biased anti ATV media

I'm watching the CBS early show and here it comes again. Another story about how unsafe ATV's are, and how there need to be stricter blah, blah, blah.....

Why is it every one of these stories rolls out the same tired footage of 3 wheelers wrecking from 1986? 3 wheelers haven't been produced in over 15 years, so aren't you kinda beating a dead horse? Also, they always show 4 year olds riding 500cc quads. How is that the dealer's or ATV's fault? Looks like the parents fault to me - or do you expect me to believe that a 4 year old walked into a dealership and managed to get approved to finance a quad?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2005 | 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Would you expect anything less from the LIBERAL CBS network.

Old 08-19-2005 | 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i hear ya, its definetly the parents fault, they let their kid hop on a machine where they cant even touch the floorboards without a helmet and they come crying back to dealers and all the other liberals who want to ban atvs when something terrible goes on. my cousin is an atv safety instuctor and he is sick of all the bad stuff on the news trying to impose our sport.

450kodman

Old 08-28-2005 | 11:08 PM
Range Rover

ya i know i ride in a group with half dirtbikes and half quads, and someone falls at least once on each trip.anyone on the quads never fall.

Old 08-29-2005 | 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

this is why trikes are banned me being pro trike know that parents were buying there kids that are young,small and un experianced tecate,250r and tri-z's and any other kind of fast trikes and then the parents say 'well we didint know that you can get hurt on a trike" like there retarded
Now i admit i started off on a tecate yes, but i took it slow.

Old 08-29-2005 | 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

Hey the media really suks, and they dont care about what effects their work has on others, but there is an honest problem with so many people being seriously hurt or worse.

The media problem seems to be that these bottom feeder types are so intent on providing a sensationalized story with the least amount of effort and $$$ possible that they not only miss any chance at actually helping the problem, but seem to really make things worse for all involved.

Maybe if the real underlying problems were exposed and dealt with accordingly by both the media and our legislators we could help solve the associated problems seen by our sport, and also save a large amount of lives and suffering by families.

The real issue may be finding a legislator willing to not just blame the mfg's (who are not 100% without blame either) but to address the real problems of parents protecting their children and themselves and not just letting a 50lb child run free on a 600lb atv unattended.

Maybe some would prefer a big neon sign on the atv warning not to let your 2yr old ride this alone or he will die etc, but that wont fix the problems and their causes and we would still have all the related losses.

Guess its just a pipe dream that something actually gets fixed right, but hey we can hope right.

Old 08-29-2005 | 07:03 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Raptorx44
Would you expect anything less from the LIBERAL CBS network.
Yea they are really liberal.

Old 08-30-2005 | 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

I just re read my previous post, and think I need to add that on a local basis we have actually been able to get some positive press. It wasnt easy and its only been 4 or 5 pieces but its a start.

What we have to think of when trying to understand all the BS that comes out of the press is that they are looking at pretty much everything (stats, deaths, environmental etc) except what is really happening.

I dont think anyone would say its ok for hundreds of young children to die from riding an atv, but its up to us to show the media and force it down their throats if needed that these tragic accidents are not the fault of the machine, but the fault of the rider, parents, and even the govt for not providing enough controlled legal ride areas in most places in the country.

So if we can do that then when mr and mrs middle america tune into to cbs ro whatever news they will not become anti ATV due to seeing a misrepresented news show, but will become wiser in general due to seeing proper coverage that includes an honest showing of what is really causing these injuries and maybe getting involved with our side as much as so many have with the anti atv efforts.

I just dont think most americans know why these kids are really getting hurt so often, and I know if they were shown the real deal things would be different in their minds.

Only thing that concerns me is that its going to take a lot of effort and hard work from the atv community, and most of the riders I have met cant be bothered to do much of anything beyond ride.

Suks that the finger of blame points right back at us.