Goofy Dumb Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-1999, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can relate with all this,was selling my 400.Guy came to look at it took for ride says I'll buy it.Gave me down payment,got ready to leave told him would put it in garage.He was in his truck I jumped on quad to put it away,as you guessed it wouldn,t start and he hadn't left yet got back off pretended to do something else till he left.Needless to say sweating all the time,have it sold now won't run.I never use kill switch,but he had turned it off when done,happy ending to that story duuhh. LATER COB

Old 10-10-1999, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

last year i went for a ride with my friends in the middle of december. that was pretty stupid in itself. anyways we put the quad in his barn and went out to dinner. when we got back we got them out because we planned to go riding again. they started theirs with no problem and i started mine but it died in 30 seconds. so i kicked it again and nothing. i spent 10 minutes kicking it and then i had my friend pull me. still nothing. i changed the plugs nothing. then i thought to look in the gas tank. nothing in there. i didnt want to look like an idiot so i switched it to reserve and started playing with some wires. i started it and said it was a loose wire.

last week i was at this same friends house and we were riding and it hadnt rained for 3 months. i try to do a donut and my back tires catch and i roll the quad. i roll it over and realize that they taped the whole thing. so now i get to watch it whenever i want!!!

tony
'97 banshee

Old 10-12-1999, 06:53 PM
rdr
Weekend Warrior

I just purchased my new Sportsman. The salesman told me to be careful loading it into the truck as it could hit the rear window. We secured it for the travel home. I pulled up to the house with a grin from ear to ear. Unhooked the machine and tried to start it. It only cranked so I gave it a flick of the gas. The machine jumped six inches forward and busted out my rear window. Yup, I forgot to make sure it was in nuetral when I started. Fortunatly only my wife and kids were witness to this. So now I don't start it without the machine in nuetral and my hand on the brake. I have done other stupid things in my life, so I can hardly wait for my next mis-adventure.

Old 10-13-1999, 02:09 PM
Range Rover

Well last time i went riding i was noticing how rough my ride was. So i so i softened up the rear suspension and that really helped but the front was still pretty rough. I didn't have anything with me to adjust the preload on the fronts so i put up with it. Well tonight i decided to check the air pressure in my tires. The rear tires were about right but when i checked the front i think i discovered my problem. Unless i am mistaken your ride will be noticeably harsher if there is aproximately twice the reccomended air pressure in the tires. I had no reason to do anything with the tires since i bought it. (no flats etc.) So I guess it pays off to check the little stuff.

[This message has been edited by qrdude (edited 10-13-1999).]

Old 10-13-1999, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer

A few months back, a friend and I were working on the ATC250R. We had been toying with the jetting trying to get it to run a little better. Well after the final run, it was running beautiful, but we had to check the plug just to be sure I wasn't too lean. It was a perfect tan--great. Well, it was getting late, and after a few beers I wasn't thinking perfect. I hopped on my bike to take her for a spin and I kicked and kicked and kicked. Was the gas on? Yes. Was there gas in the tank? Yes. Was the kill switch on? Yes. Everything checked good, so here I start kicking again and again and again. About ready to die from exhaustion, I went over to lean on the tool bench--what do I see laying on the bench, a spark plug? Those cranky bikes just won't fire up without those plugs!!!!!!!

Derek Osthoff
1985 ATC250R
1984 ATC200X
1993 Blaster

Old 10-14-1999, 04:01 AM
Trailblazer

Me and a few of my buddies were riding one day and came back to the pickups for a break. When we were ready to go again my friends warrior his girlfriend was riding wouldn't start. Now him being a mechanic started looking it over and decided to jump start it, that didn't work. He tried several things and said it did this once before and that time the stator had died and it cost around 300 dollars. He was getting pretty concerned when someone asked is the kill switch on. He was quiet for a minute then said never mind, turned the switch to on and started it. I said it sure is a good thing that you are a mechanic. I won't repeat what he said back. So just thought I would share this story to let you know it happens to the best of them even mechanics. Mike 400ex

Old 10-14-1999, 12:14 PM
Trailblazer

After a nice day of riding I came back to the truck and hooked up the ramp to load the quad. I usually use low gear to drive up the ramp but this day I was feeling good and used high gear. Well, you guessed it, like so many others ahead of me I too drove my quad through the back window of my truck. (180 Dollar mistake) Now I use a piece of wood to stop the forward motion of the quad before it contacts the window...I use low gear too from now on.
Livin' and learnin'