Goofy Dumb Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-1999, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember that Darby thread on Stupid Stuff?
Well this morning I went out for a ride, mostly trail clearing duty. When I got back home, I shut my 400EX off. I went to start it again and it wouldn't fire up. I thought "oh I must be out of gas" I flipped it to reserve. STILL won't fire up. Now I am worried. I pull the plug. Dry as a bone and this is after cranking it for more than ususal. So, now I am bound and determined there is a blockage somewhere in the fuel system. I crack open the float drain. Gas runs out. Float? Well, I tapped on the float bowl, like that will be the magic trick. Nope, check the plug... nope still dry.
Ok, NOW... I pull the air filter. Get out my can of ether (where the heck is that now?!?... Oh yeah found it...) Ok, I get the nozzle ready glance down to hit the starter button... THE STUPID BAR MOUNTED KILL SWITCH WAS OFF!!!! AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!
Ya see, I have the switch pack twisted way down and around, because when I ride agressively my knee would constantly bump the starter button. So, when I go to start my quad, it is mostly by feel. I haven't had the kill switch bumped to off before and I never use it. Plus, it is too early in the morning to be up and about anyway.
I am going back to bed...

Later
Phil

Old 08-21-1999, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Been there done that. Dooooouuuuuupppp as Homer Simpson says.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-21-1999, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're in good company, Philzie!

Who hasn't duplicated your scenario?

Is there intelligent life on Earth?

A competitive rider tells me even in race events, he's seen M/C riders charge into a check point in a cloud of dust, then spend five minutes kicking their machines, trying to start and get back into the race, finally discovering: Ooops! Kill switch!

Tree Farmer

Old 08-22-1999, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, same here, it's happened a number of times. I also had a leak in one of my quads, so I'd turn the gas off after I'd ride, and I'd accidentally run it out of gas after a couple of blocks because the gas was off. Either that or if you leave the ignition switch on your quad, you forget to flip it on before starting it. One of those 3 things.

- is the kill switch on?

- is the gas on?

- is the ignition on?

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 08-23-1999, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

On a new Polaris quad the bar mounted kill switch is also the starter. side to side to kill like a Honda, push up on it to start. My girlfriend sometimes goes to start her TB and the switch won't go up because it's in the off position. She always just looks at me like "What did I do"? I give her the "Use your damn head" look and then we are off
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 (New & improved with RCR kit and more raisins than ever) & '99 Trailblazer for Baby Butt Cheeks...

Old 09-11-1999, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

Changing fouled out spark plug on my little brother's AC 454. I got the old plug out, popped the new one in, tightened 'er up, put the tools back in the tool kit, slipped it under the seat, and hit the start button.

NOTHING.

All she would do is grind. I played with the choke, checked the gas, checked the kill switch, AH-HA!!! It helps if you reconnect the plug wire!

Old 09-11-1999, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

I have a similar story. It was the third week that I had my 400EX and I pulled it out of the garage to go on a little ride. I choked it, and hit the starter button. It wouldn't start. Tried it several more times. Nothing. Now I was starting to get mad. This was my brand new machine and it wouldn't start. I checked the air filter and it was fine. Checked the kill switches. They were fine. I didn't check the plug because the plug is in a very nasty spot on the 400EX! Next, I pulled the air filter off and sprayed some starting fluid in there (dad's advice). Tried starting and no luck. Now I was furious! Then my dad says check the gas. I looked in there and what do you know, bone dry. Was I ever relieved! Switched 'er to reserve and bam, started right up. Don't ask why I DIDN'T check the gas. Dumb!

Old 09-11-1999, 11:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My buddy took his quad to the dunes last year but all weekend we could not get it started. We tried pulling it, starter fluid, new spark plugs, but still nothing. All weekend long we sat around trying to get this machine started ( we had others of course), to no avail. I asked if he had gas he said, "yea i filled it before we left town". Ok.... We get back home and guess what, he calls me a few days later and says the tank is empty. Talk about a wasted weekend for him! Too funny.

RoostKing...

Old 09-26-1999, 04:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

if you want to hear somthing really stupid, this guy was selling a 87 banshee w/30mm carbs duel k&ns W/outerwears, 6+ swingarm, new FMF rad valves, new FMF Fattys, Trinity stage iv cool head w/18cc domes, new seat cover, reanthal bars w/twist throtle, Hauler 8 on duglas wheels and dune runners up front and the nobies on stock wheels. plus some show alluminum parts, all for $2500!!! ok whats wrong with it right? well I took it for a test ride and that thing was uncontrolable!! the stearing was so bad. it wanted to turn hard, it took every thing i had to keep it strait. I looked it over and asked if he ever painted the frame? It looked to good to be stock. he said yes. I looked at the a-arms (lower) and they were backwards!!! the left was on the right and the right was on the left.he had switched them when he put it back together! so I dident tell him what was wrong with it just went home with it and 1/2 hour later I had a nice and fast banshee for the wife.cool huh?

Bruce 92 Banshee now a 87 for da wife

Old 10-05-1999, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

When doing donuts on a gravel road, try not to hit the AWD switch on your Scrambler. Or at least, wear a helmet.

Quick Reply: Goofy Dumb Stuff