Attempted Quad Theft!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-1999, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still would'nt be a bad idea to install some type of an alarm,just something that will make some noise.A sign(like ADT) would probably keep a lot of thieves out too.The Polaris idea ain't bad either.

Old 09-10-1999, 11:16 AM
MCB
Weekend Warrior

someone mentioned putting a lock on the rear sprocket - I am not sure what was meant by this, but it sounds like a good idea. Can someone give me more detail about where to put the lock?

thanks

Old 09-10-1999, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

mcb.
The lock go,s through the holes or around the entire rear disc.locking the rear wheels.

After getting my quad and thinking about security.I decided to get a hardened chain,Not a regular chain.A rockwell grade 7 hardened chain.$8.00 per foot and nearly imposible to cut.I tested it myself with a four foot bolt cutter,Trying to cut the last link I only scrached it,Maaaaan that is hard chain.Each link is forged and stamped with grade number.Avaible at heavy equipment supply (ie bulldozer towing chain).

The lock.
Kriptinite grade 7 forged (99% uncutable)The ony thing that could get through it would be a gas powerded diamond saw!!!!!!

The toughest grade is rockwell 8 $16.00 per foot.(don't lose your key!!!!)

Old 09-11-1999, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

trx430ex, What do you chain iy TO? After reading this, I went out this weekend and bought the approiate items, but when I got home, all that I could find was metal shelving to chain to in my garage.

I think that I am going to buy a metal plate with a loop and screw it to the concrete with 4 red heads. It would not be fool proof, but it may just make it too hard to open.

Another trick that I use is pulling my truck up as close to the garage door as I can, there is not enough room to get a bicycle through, mush less a quad.

Old 09-12-1999, 12:58 AM
Range Rover

Jeeeess! All this talk is making me severely paranoid! I have 2 quads and 2 dirt bikes in my shed. I too park my vehicle up tight against the door so theives would have to break into the car first. I have locked the steering wheel as far to one side as possible so that putting the tranny in neutral and pushing it aside is not an option. It will only roll straight into the house. I am about to wire my shed with a sensor that will sound an alarm in my bedroom. But what about when you are not home? Partying on new year's eve?

A sprocket lock is a good idea. I was also thinking that if you took an old spark plug and cut of the ground electrode, then threaded it into the cylinder again, it would never run. Good luck trying to start it! It would never fire up.

In the winter here it snows for 5 months straight. (Northern Canada). I plan to remove all 4 wheels, store them in the house and block up the quads. Good luck you bastards! Just try and move 'em! One last comment...
I got a tempered chain too. You cannot cut these babies but the weakest link is the lock. If you have a shed or are about to build one first dig a whole in the ground and get an old tire. Fill it with cement and set a good anchor hook in it. Bury it under the shed and run a chain down through the floor that will be attached to the cement filled tire. You will never pull that out of the floor. especially buried under 5 feet of dirt.

Keith

Old 09-12-1999, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Phoenix1.
If that shelf is heavy guage steel?It's not bad,Just bolt the shelf to the wall.And fill the shelves.Remeber a thiefs bigest enemy is time, The more time it takes the more the chance he'll be discovered.Those motion senser lights are good too, The 500 watt kind,and cheap.

Try to make it easy on yourself,It gets to be a pain in the a-- after a while.But soon as you let down your gard,POOF the quads gone.

Myself,there are two quads in the grauge so I chain them together,At the wheels or through the frames.When It's by It's self I chain it through the wheels,So it can't roll.I,m in good shape But I don't think I could drag (or with help)carry a 400 pound machine verry far, Man thats heavy!!!!

Old 09-13-1999, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

The anchors in the concrete floor sound great.

If you have a garage door opener, turn off the power. Put it on a switch in the house for more convienience.

If you have more than one item in the shed, chain it to it. (ie. lawnmower, shelf, fridge, wheelbarrow) Anything to make more noise or slow them down.

The lock on the sprocket or brake disc is probably the most convienient thing for the owner.

My Brother was cleaned out 10 years ago. They took everything. EVERTHING! Furniture, fridge, curtains, plates, chainsaw, trimmer, lawnmower, Warrior, ATC250R, power tools, mechanics chest, etc...

They pulled up just after he left for work in a moving van. Neighbours though he was moving out!

Next thing was he bought a red doberman. Never had a problem since.

It is really sick when someone tries to take your stuff. I feel for ya.

Love the comment about parking it in your bedroom.

RM

[This message has been edited by rennym (edited 09-13-1999).]

Old 09-13-1999, 01:14 PM
Trailblazer

for all you who like the motion detector/siren in the house idea. think about puting up an external siren outside. get the whole neighborhood looking when that thing goes off, and maybe some will see the crook(or rather dumba**).

------------------
TRX250R

Old 09-14-1999, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

I feel sorry for all of my fellow ATVers. I leave my Warrior out in the driveway on summer nights and under a shed in the winter when I don't ride as much. Sometimes the key gets left in it. Been doing that for 15 years and haven't had a problem yet.

------------------
Kevin JA Works of Georgia

1996 Yamaha Warrior

Old 09-15-1999, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

Don't feel sorry, feel fortunate. Those who have had their property stolen aren't asking for your pity. They are sharing their experience in the hopes of educating others. They may not have ever had a problem "before" either. Remember, nobody thinks it will happen to them.

Quick Reply: Attempted Quad Theft!