Hunting Season and quad etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-1999, 04:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a hunter myself, and spend alot of time in the woods either hunting,fishing or driving my quad. I know mysef I have been passed by many atv's while in my favorite hunting spot,and it has never bothered me. I know I've passed a few tree stands along hydro lines where people have been hunting. All I can say to them is if they don't want any atv'ers disturbing them, they should find a better place to put there tree stand than on a hydro line where all the atv'ers travel back and forth. As for laws concerning atv's in the woods during hunting season, there are none around here. All though we do have a law that states you can't walk down the street with a ''snake'' around your neck. Pretty weird eh! Being a hunter I can under stand getting angry if you have a nice ten point in your sights and an atver comes ripping past and spookes the deer,but taking out your anger on an atver by shooting at him or her is kinda crazy I think. But i guess you can say some people are. One more thing, I don't know if you have ever noticed, but I have noticed that deer are seldom spooked by atv's. why i do not know but I think it has somthing to do with the sound of the quad. I think it gets there attention and they get curious as to what it is. I know I have spooked more deer, walking quietly throught the woods than I have on my quad. By the way, not sure when your guys moose season starts but if your going "good luck" and safe hunting.

Old 09-17-1999, 05:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CRASH23 99,your snake law is an good example of weird and goofy laws.In R.I,it's against the law to walk down the street with an Ice Cream cone in your back pocket.In Mass.it's against the law to purposely rob a bank.Stupid laws like these are the reason I ride double on the quad,when our legislators tell us we cant.Put simply,these laws make little or no sense at all.----BILL

Old 09-17-1999, 06:25 AM
Pro Rider

An appeal to common sense:

Regardless of any law, is provoking armed strangers in the woods a good idea? Especially with no witnesses present?

While I believe most are responsible hunters, they don't wear jerseys distinguishing them from the other kind--you can't tell 'em apart.

Otherwise law-abiding citizens sometimes change their behavior and their personalities when they get a gun in their hand and think no one else is around, especially if they've been up all night drinking in the deer camp and may have gargled at breakfast with the "hair of the dog."

An ATVer may be in the right, but he may wind up being "dead" right. For what?

My suggestion to ATVers: cool it, be considerate and try to avoid antagonizing hunters, unless you really want a part in a real-life version of "Deliverance II, The Sequel."

Tree Farmer

Old 09-17-1999, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've been an avid whitetail hunter for over 30 yrs and I haven't had any problem's with atv's. But I'll tell ya, hunters can be real territorial and ya don't want to make a habit of messing up there area when they've spent 4-5 hours sitting in a tree.

I'll be using my AC500 mostly for scouting but when I find an area that look's good, if possible, I'll walk to my stand.

Shoot straight!

Old 09-17-1999, 01:18 PM
Range Rover

I just do not understand why hunters hunt right along atv trails HELLO most likly whatever made the trails is going to be back. I have alot of friends that hunt and they kinda like atvs riding by to stir up the wildlife but they are BACK in the woods not right off the trails. I think if you are going hunt around atv trails then you have to expect atvs will be riding on those trails how do you think the trails get there. I think as long as the hunters go into the woods away from the trails then they should not have any problem with the atvs cause most likely the noise will just send the deer towards the hunters. I will not quite riding my atv on public trails during hunting season simply because if you are hunting you should be one with nature and get off the trails into the woods where atvs aren't around, at least to make it more challenging. The only guys that hunt off the trails are the ones that want an easy clean shot and they want to complain about atvs riding by or they are too lazy to walk deep into the woods. We the atvers built the trails for riding, so if you hunt give us a break and go into woods off the trails. There are more woods then trails, heck tell them to go to a hunt club or private land if they don't want all of the atv traffic. I would not ride on private hunt grounds for anything but public areas are different. I also agree that the deer aren't spooked by atvs. I have come across more deer while riding on the atv then ever walking through the woods, I think they like'em cause I can get real close to them before they take off unlike if I was walking. I believe this is just common coutesy to all that want to enjoy the outdoors, we can share can't we. If you hunt get into the woods not right off the edge of trails there are more and more atvs each year riding so GET OFF THE TRAILS!! Use them as much as you want but don't hunt off of them!

Old 09-17-1999, 02:35 PM
Rod
Trailblazer

Greetings,

Hey Crash, you've hit a point that I've held as the truth for a long time: a deer is much more afraid of a person than of a person on a quad (or any other vehicle). I suspect its because the species evolved before quads were around so they don't have a specific fear of them built-in. They may fear them as an unknown, but they are definitely ingrained with a fear of humans.

I have seen a lot more deer during the day when riding than when walking. This might be in part because you run up on them rather fast, but they still don't act as jumpy around it until they smell or see the human factor.

Deer spotting is the national past time of rural Pennsylvania (no guns allowed). You can drive up pretty close to a deer and, even with a million candle power of spot light on them, they pretty much ignore you until someone says something or the wind shifts just right. I think its a similar thing -- they know people but aren't sure what a vehicle is.

Thanks,

Rod 98 450ES [...and its yellow]

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-17-1999).]

Old 09-17-1999, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hunters in the woods and ATVers on the trails? Maybe, in an ideal world, although everyone might not agree or get the word.

Myscrambler said,

"The only guys that hunt off the trails are the ones that want an easy
clean shot and they want to complain about atvs riding by or they are too lazy to walk deep into the
woods. We the atvers built the trails for riding, so if you hunt give us a break and go into woods off
the trails. There are more woods then trails, heck tell them to go to a hunt club or private land if they
don't want all of the atv traffic. I would not ride on private hunt grounds for anything but public areas
are different. I also agree that the deer aren't spooked by atvs. I have come across more deer while
riding on the atv then ever walking through the woods, I think they like'em cause I can get real close
to them before they take off unlike if I was walking. I believe this is just common coutesy to all that
want to enjoy the outdoors, we can share can't we. If you hunt get into the woods not right off the
edge of trails there are more and more atvs each year riding so GET OFF THE TRAILS!! Use them as
much as you want but don't hunt off of them!"

Myscrambler, who is going to deliver your message to the hunters? How? When? Where? And how will you get the hunters' agreement to follow you recommendation?

If you find someone anticipating that easy, clean shot on your ATV trail, with his .30/30 on half-**** and a 150-grain Silvertip in its chamber, are you going to tell him to move? I believe avoiding confrontation is the best course in this hypothetical example.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-18-1999, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Interesting Thoughts. My main thought during hunting season is to be careful and I try to checkout the areas where I ride during the middle of the day or maybe late morning. Most hunters I run into, are coming out mid morning. Look for those vehicles close to your riding areas.If you see vehicles, look for atv tracks or signs that they are riding too. If not, I just don't go in that area. I'm not sure about other riding areas, but with a little effort and preplanning, I've usually been able to find out if people are hunting. If you do ride up on someone, even if your in the right, stop and wave or just show some general respect. I stay away from some areas completely during hunting season.Even when I'm hunting, I like to take a midday ride. But I look for areas too far for the average hunter to walk to. I don't think there is any good answer to this question. Best bet is to use common sense.

[This message has been edited by pathfinder (edited 09-17-1999).]

[This message has been edited by pathfinder (edited 09-17-1999).]

Old 09-18-1999, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer,You say avoid confrontation?Does the guy or hunter with his 4x4 pick-up or his vehicle avoid using the SAME trail during hunting season that my quad is supposedly bothering some gun happy hunter?HELL NO he dont,he goes right on his merry way on the SAME trail.If we are better off avoiding confrontation,than that better not stand for just us ATVers.Thats why I personally pay NO attention to the ban on ATVs being on trails during the Michigan Firearm Season.You want me to stay off the trails during hunting season,but it's ok to take your vehicle or truck down the same trail?I THINK NOT----BILL

Old 09-18-1999, 05:57 AM
Pro Rider

Bill, Bill!

You ride your ATV anywhere and anytime you please!

I would not presume to tell YOU what to do!

However, I will express my own opinion and offer some considerations regarding risk management when riding ATV's in the woods during hunting season.

ATV's are legal in my area during hunting season. but by local "gentleman's agreement," we use them only to look for or to retrieve downed game.

I was in a permanent tree stand on my hunting lease before dawn when I saw a hunter's flashlight below, clearly infringing on the lease.

In the dark, I signalled with my light and called out to the intruder; I thought perhaps he was one of my own party who decided to move from his original position; I wanted him to know where I was for safety's sake so he would not fire in my direction when shooting at game.

Turns out he was a stranger. I told him he was on our lease, hoping he would leave, because the appearance of an unexpected hunter poses a danger to himself and to everyone else.

Instead of leaving, the man began angrily cursing me, insisting I was the trespasser, and threatening to do something about it. I immediately turned off my light; I didn't want to give him any help targeting me if he started shooting.

My last comment to him was, "You're trespassing, and I'm asking you to leave." Then I began to contemplate the horror, knowing if he shot at or drew down on me I'd have to defend myself (even if I survived, I knew a nightmare of legal, social, psychological and financial terrors would await). While faith in the justice system may be a virtue, I, a "furriner," don't want to stand trial before a court and jury composed of this local citizen's kinfolks and good buddies.

The stranger shouted more curses, but came no closer, finally leaving the area. The exchange of words was heard by members of my own party and by a hunter on an adjacent lease, all confirming the version of events you just read.

The intruder was later identified and now has been banned from the property by the landowner; things could have ended differently.

In my own permanent tree stand on my own lease, I did nothing to antagonize this hunter. I could not let him pass into the area containing other hunters without asking him to turn back; I would not want to live with the knowledge a horrible accident happened that I might have prevented. I did not curse or threaten this man; he can't say the same about me.

Cursing and threatening armed strangers in the dark is not a good idea, but that's exactly what this man did. My point: his behavior made no sense, he had a gun, and we were in the woods alone together.

So Bill, ride on, even if ATV's are prohibited during hunting season, if you want to. Do what you think best. I hope you don't meet this man, or someone like him, for your sake.

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 09-18-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 09-18-1999).]

Quick Reply: Hunting Season and quad etiquette?