Hunting Season and quad etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-1999, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ask this question because hunting season is here and wanted to get opinions from hunters and quaders.

Old 09-15-1999, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

so what is your question??????

Old 09-15-1999, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Yeaa,after looking at this again perhaps I should define the question.

I'm planing a quad trip on the first weekend of october.It turns out that,That saterday is the first day of archery season and being a hunter myself I don't want to **** off any other hunters that may be lurking about.

The path I'm taking Is about 40 miles of rails to trails with about 35 miles of off shoots into thick tite woods nasty creek beds, tressels, power lines with hill climbs.Then off to the five story coal piles for some real action.(Their is a seven story pile but I've only gone down it.That pile is scaarry!)

Anyway I,m gona be pushing it pretty hard stiring everything up in the woods.And was wondering if anybody has had confrontations with hunters over stiring everything up?

Old 09-15-1999, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Are you riding on the same land people are hunting? If so, the only risk I see is an arrow in your tire.... :-)

Old 09-15-1999, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

TRX,
I JUST got some new Spitfires and six new 2213's. PLEASE don't ride near MY stand... ok....!!!
No, seriously, I'd try to avoid any hunters, they tend to get really pissed about stuff like that.
I can't WAIT for opening day, I know of TWO does' that are going in the deepfreeze within the first week!!!!

Old 09-16-1999, 03:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've never had any really serious encounters with other hunter's while driving my bike other than a few dirty looks. But i did get yelled at by a hunter because I was on his private property, whitch was not posted with any signs warning me. As long as you are not braking any laws I wouldn't worry about hunters.

Old 09-16-1999, 07:10 AM

I look at it this way. The hunter's use the wood's for about 3 or 4 months, We quad & dirt bike riders can have the rest of the year. I'd avoid wood's where there will be hunting manly just dew out of respect for each other. When I ride during hunting season I always ride at a OHV park or private land where I have permission. That's what I'd do.

Dave Dossett
atvdave@atving.com

Old 09-16-1999, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

down here in Alabama, people have gotten "killed" over such things as "screwing" up a hunters Prime Hunting area!! Most of the time you will get a warning shot fired over your head- weather it be from an arrow or a gun- the next time you will take your life into your own hands. Bottom line, DON'T MESS WITH HUNTERS, THEY HAVE WEAPONS AND KNOW HOW TO USE THEM.

Old 09-16-1999, 10:08 AM
Trailblazer

forgot to add one thing. Most redneck hunters that i have been aquainted with consider a "Pleasure Rider on a ATV in their hunting area" just as big of a TROPHY as an 8 POINT BUCK!!

Old 09-16-1999, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Michigan where im from,it is illegal to use any ATV from the November 15th Firearm Season till December 1st except between the hrs of 11am-2pm.No law is in effect for Archery season though.The law sucks in a way.The ATV manufactures describe to you how benifical the use of a quad is in retreiving your game,and the law tells us we cant use them unless we are handcapped.In Michigan it is also against the law to ride an ATV double,[OK to ride a snowmobile double though]which I personally pay 00000 attention to.My Sportsman is PLENTY big enough to handle two people comfortably on any flat trails or ice.I also dont pay any attention to the ban of ATVs for Firearm season.Tons of 4x4 trucks and vehicles cross and ride the same trails that ATVs ride during the Firearm season while folks are hunting,NO ban on them.Yes,I did get stopped for riding double once during the Ice fishing season last Janurary.I simply told the DNR officer how I felt about the one sided laws and that there are tons of stupid laws in effect that make LITTLE or NO sense at all.Beleive it or not,he sided with me and told me to just take it easy,and I was on my way with my buddie Dan to our favorite fishing spot.I got lucky.Found me a understanding DNR guy. BILL

Quick Reply: Hunting Season and quad etiquette?