Kids, pay attention. You might learn something.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 02:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids, pay attention. You might learn something.

I don't use any punctuation at all usually......I am notorious for my little period things(.......) in between sentences. The point of these forums to me is just to get the point across so you understand one another. I type very fast, and have many of other things going at once, so I have little time to pay attention to good grammar, instead I'd just like to get the point across and help someone out......and if they don't understand what I'm saying due to my poor grammar, is it seriously that hard to type "I don't get what you're saying".......I'd rather them have to type that, than me punctuate all of my posts..........

I do understand you, but probably will continue to be lazy in my punctuation.

Brad

Old 09-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

heh.... *shrugs*

Old 09-27-2005, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: buck183
Originally posted by: LivinInVegas
Buck,
I agree 100% with what you say! The fact is it is cool to be "Axing stupid"! Just look around at some of the young idols that kids emulate. Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton (famous for being famous), Nelly, 50 cent. The biggest issue I have is that in a group session this is when it is prevelent to act stupid, the IQ drops 30%. Take them away from the "stupid" group setting and put them around an older crowd and they don't act that way. Maybe I'm getting old or my tolerance to ignorance is growing shorter. I'm with you here buddy your not alone.
I can't wait until it's cool to be smart again.
Vegas, don't get me wrong. I have no problem with slang terms myself. The example you give is a good one for sure. I am guilty of typing "kewl" instead of "cool" when I reply to threads sometimes. What gets me is a reply that's 20 lines long and doesn't have a capital letter or a period in it anywhere to speak of. It's just a bunch of words slammed together coming out of someone's mouth at a hundred miles an hour.

Having fun with words and screwing around is one thing, not putting an effort into it is another.

Buck
I'm not against slang either or some abreviations but when you can't understand what the persons point is that's another story. Lord knows i'm not perfect and my two cents are just my two cents. But I believe laziness is accepted to easy, it's like another social language. Kids will be kids and that's fine we were all stupid once, but when you can' read a post to help someone...

Old 09-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
I don't use any punctuation at all usually......I am notorious for my little period things(.......) in between sentences. The point of these forums to me is just to get the point across so you understand one another. I type very fast, and have many of other things going at once, so I have little time to pay attention to good grammar, instead I'd just like to get the point across and help someone out......and if they don't understand what I'm saying due to my poor grammar, is it seriously that hard to type "I don't get what you're saying".......I'd rather them have to type that, than me punctuate all of my posts..........

I do understand you, but probably will continue to be lazy in my punctuation.

Brad
Thanks for the reply Brad.

Just reading your reply is easy on my eyes. That isn't something that would stand out if I were reading a thread. I too am guilty of using the occasional periods in a row sometimes.

I may type up an example in my next reply. Although it wouldn't be hard to but and paste one from just about any thread on here and save some time.

Buck

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2005, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

Here's one for ya. Only had to go down about two threads from this one to find this.

The following is a cut a paste. The owner of the reply already has about three replies just like this one on the same thread.

Cut and paste....

haha dats awsome my quad usta sputter an i couldnt go past half throttle on 1st gear or it would die out and i was riding w/ my buddies once on an illegal trail and it started sputtering i was scared out of my mind i told all my friends to go on ill meet up with them bak at the house it was probally the worst expireance iv had

Buck

Old 09-27-2005, 02:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

wow.........I didn't realize it was that bad........I am with you now.........I seriously can't read that post, or even make myself read it. I read a lot, being an engineering major in college, we have to read about 130 pages a night total, in about 4 different books. So I am used to reading good grammaer,etc. My eyes can't focus on what he is trying to even say.......that is pretty bad.

I agree, and I'm probably going to start watching my own grammar now. Thanks Buclk.

Oh and I meant to say to you......The comments page is kinda the same as the "off topics" page, found lower on the page. Lots of bs goes on in there, along with a lot of very poor grammar. Hopefully this post will end up getting transfered into there.

Brad

Old 09-27-2005, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
wow.........I didn't realize it was that bad........I am with you now.........I seriously can't read that post, or even make myself read it. I read a lot, being an engineering major in college, we have to read about 130 pages a night total, in about 4 different books. So I am used to reading good grammaer,etc. My eyes can't focus on what he is trying to even say.......that is pretty bad.

I agree, and I'm probably going to start watching my own grammar now. Thanks Buclk.

Oh and I meant to say to you......The comments page is kinda the same as the "off topics" page, found lower on the page. Lots of bs goes on in there, along with a lot of very poor grammar. Hopefully this post will end up getting transfered into there.

Brad

Been on here for about a year now and I didn't even notice the comments section. Sorry about that guys. This should obviously be there. Please feel free to report this to a mod and have it moved.

Buck

Old 09-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I start reading a post like that I wont continue. A little slang is ok but when the whole post is butchered then forget it. Typing is not my strong point but I dont use spell check either. Maybe I miss some spelling here and there, but that's ok. Correct grammar (or trying to use it correctly) makes you look much more intelligent. I need all the help I can get[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Buck, I cleaned up your post indicating the letters BS, since your 8 year old daughter is reading. Later.
Gary

Old 09-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

I'm with you Buck. I didn't know if its just me getting old, or the problem is getting worse. (or both) If people would just take the time to proofread their post before hitting the reply button, it would help a bunch. From here on out, I think I will try to reply to all the grammer challenged post with "I don't understand you". I bet after 10 or 15 replies like that, people will do something different!

Quick Reply: Kids, pay attention. You might learn something.