Kids, pay attention. You might learn something.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids, pay attention. You might learn something.

Originally posted by: LivinInVegas
Buck,
I agree 100% with what you say! The fact is it is cool to be "Axing stupid"! Just look around at some of the young idols that kids emulate. Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton (famous for being famous), Nelly, 50 cent. The biggest issue I have is that in a group session this is when it is prevelent to act stupid, the IQ drops 30%. Take them away from the "stupid" group setting and put them around an older crowd and they don't act that way. Maybe I'm getting old or my tolerance to ignorance is growing shorter. I'm with you here buddy your not alone.
I can't wait until it's cool to be smart again.
i hate Jessica, paris, Nelly, 50 cent, or anything like that for that matter, and i am 16, and have no problem w/ typing correctly, w/ the exception of shorthand, obviously. lol where i come from we still make fun of the stupid kids, and still try to do good in school to go to a good college. (if you think that's cruel, im sorry) and still try to do good in school to go to a good college.so, j/ letting you know that not all kids think it's cool to be stupid.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

ooooo, sorry, that is supposed to read "we still make fun of the stupid kids (if you think that's cruel, im sorry) and do good in school and go to a good college" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

When I am on the forums, I normally try to write right. Now granted I do use some sort had, and even some slang here and there. For the most part I try to write like I normally would. Sometimes ignoring punctuation and capatalization is my biggest fault on the forums. But then again I am not longer a kid, or at least would not consider myself one. I am in that stage where I can hang out with pretty much anyone, adults to 16 or 17 year olds. So I guess this thread doesnt really apply to me, but when people talk like that, I know, for the most part, what the person is talking about...it also helps that I am a computer science major and can keep up with the technalogical changes and terms fairly easily

Old 10-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Although I agree with you 100%, buck183, but would like to point out that a lot of the younger members here do take the time to type correctly. Granted many do not, but your generalization is a bit too blunt.

I admit I also find myself using acronyms and typos here, but that is probably because that is how I am used to typing on the computer. Generally, when communicating online it is all about speed and not accuracy. But if I find I have made an indecipherable error, I edit it and fix it.

I agree that everyone should make an effort to type clearly. I get PM's a lot from kids wanting computer help, and I often can't understand them. But not every kid on this board talks like a moron.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tyler711
Although I agree with you 100%, buck183, but would like to point out that a lot of the younger members here do take the time to type correctly. Granted many do not, but your generalization is a bit too blunt.

I admit I also find myself using acronyms and typos here, but that is probably because that is how I am used to typing on the computer. Generally, when communicating online it is all about speed and not accuracy. But if I find I have made an indecipherable error, I edit it and fix it.

I agree that everyone should make an effort to type clearly. I get PM's a lot from kids wanting computer help, and I often can't understand them. But not every kid on this board talks like a moron.

Tyler,

You bring up a very good point. Probably something I should have mentioned in my original post. It wasn't my intent to pool "every" younger person who posts and particitpates on these boards into a group of people that are guilty of doing this. I apologize a thousand times over if it was taken that way. I can tell by your reply that you don't deserve to be treated like that. I commend you for voicing your opinion in a mature way. Hopefully other's like yourself will rub off on your peers and they will take notice. I have a funny feeling you will be going places in life just by your wording alone.

As for occasional typos and misuse of punctuation....I don't think that could or every should be an issue. Take my original post for instance. I misspelled a word. Was it because I couldn't spell it? Nope. Just so happens that I type very fast. It's VERY obvious when some puts an effort into replying and voicing their opinion. I would be offended if someone was singled out for trying to communicate on a normal level.

Keep up the good work Tyler. Oh, and by the way.....my quad is faster than yours! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Peace,

Buck

Old 10-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: buck183

Keep up the good work Tyler. Oh, and by the way.....my quad is faster than yours! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Peace,

Buck
Thank you sir. And obviously; my quad probably weighs over 900 pounds and has a lawnmower engine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Old 10-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

fo sho bro...aint no reasopn to talk like a ....hmmm...
sorry I simply couldn't resist

Old 10-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

I put a link to M-W.com (merriam webster) in my siggy along time ago. I 100% agree with you buck

Old 10-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: buck183
This is a general topic thread that would apply to the whole board. Three reasons I am posting here. One, I've always owned Yamahas. Two, this forum seems to be the largest forum on this site. Three, there's not a site comment section like most sites have for me to post it in.

The topic is use of grammar, spelling and puncuation when posting.

It's something that has been obvious my entire time here on this site. It's been brought up by more than one member on more than one occasion. You kids put zero effort into communicating with other life forms like yourselves.

My eight year old daughter's comment a few minutes ago prompted me to start this thread. Something I've been wanting to rant about for awhile now. She was looking over my shoulder and reading some replies as I was surfing the forum. She asked me (keep in mind she was VERY serious when she asked this) if there were a lot of kids on here that are in the First and Second grade? She came to this conclusion by trying to decipher some of the lazy code that you seem to think is normal for the real world. She said that all of the kids in her class could write better than the kids on here. Pretty much a slap in the face if you want my opinion.

How are you going to pass High School, College, get a job, start a business, learn a vocation or anything in life if you don't put a little effort into using a period, a comma, or typing out a word instead of using some slang like "bcuz"????

I frequent many forums on the internet. I own a truck accessory store so I spend a lot of time on truck forums. I love offshore boating so I spend a lot of time on forums related to this topic. What's the point???? Four Wheeler forums are the ONLY forums that I have seen that have this problem. Wonder why? Maybe because the average member is younger? Probably so.

Put some effort into communicating guys. Your questiions and replies will be taken much more seriously. Not to mention you will be respected much more by your peers on here.

I'm off to start deciphering some more replies.

Buck
you're right man, why cant people just take their time and write it out what they are saying and not do it half a** and make it sloppy and all sorts of made up abbreviations....

Old 10-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

And My All Time Favorite - The Capitalization Of Every Single Word. Not Only Impossible To Read (Wonder Why, It's Wierd?), But It Takes Forever To Type Like This!

Quick Reply: Kids, pay attention. You might learn something.