Kids, pay attention. You might learn something.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids, pay attention. You might learn something.

This is a general topic thread that would apply to the whole board. Three reasons I am posting here. One, I've always owned Yamahas. Two, this forum seems to be the largest forum on this site. Three, there's not a site comment section like most sites have for me to post it in.

The topic is use of grammar, spelling and puncuation when posting.

It's something that has been obvious my entire time here on this site. It's been brought up by more than one member on more than one occasion. You kids put zero effort into communicating with other life forms like yourselves.

My eight year old daughter's comment a few minutes ago prompted me to start this thread. Something I've been wanting to rant about for awhile now. She was looking over my shoulder and reading some replies as I was surfing the forum. She asked me (keep in mind she was VERY serious when she asked this) if there were a lot of kids on here that are in the First and Second grade? She came to this conclusion by trying to decipher some of the lazy code that you seem to think is normal for the real world. She said that all of the kids in her class could write better than the kids on here. Pretty much a slap in the face if you want my opinion.

How are you going to pass High School, College, get a job, start a business, learn a vocation or anything in life if you don't put a little effort into using a period, a comma, or typing out a word instead of using some slang like "bcuz"????

I frequent many forums on the internet. I own a truck accessory store so I spend a lot of time on truck forums. I love offshore boating so I spend a lot of time on forums related to this topic. What's the point???? Four Wheeler forums are the ONLY forums that I have seen that have this problem. Wonder why? Maybe because the average member is younger? Probably so.

Put some effort into communicating guys. Your questiions and replies will be taken much more seriously. Not to mention you will be respected much more by your peers on here.

I'm off to start deciphering some more replies.

Buck

Old 09-27-2005, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer

fyi.."puncuation" is spelled punctuation.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

<edited by ATV Connection Moderator>

punctuation*

Old 09-27-2005, 01:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: mototoyz
fyi.."puncuation" is spelled punctuation.
lol, nice.

I agree that additional effort should be made towards coherent posts. Buck has a good point, but you have to understand there is a line to be drawn. Case in point another forum I will not mention the name of where the admin has gone **** retentive with spelling and grammar rules taking even more attention away from posts with innappropriate content. I think there should be a happy medium where the posts are at least understandable to the average viewer yet you dont need to have an english teacher edit them before you're allowed to submit it.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

Buck,
I agree 100% with what you say! The fact is it is cool to be "Axing stupid"! Just look around at some of the young idols that kids emulate. Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton (famous for being famous), Nelly, 50 cent. The biggest issue I have is that in a group session this is when it is prevelent to act stupid, the IQ drops 30%. Take them away from the "stupid" group setting and put them around an older crowd and they don't act that way. Maybe I'm getting old or my tolerance to ignorance is growing shorter. I'm with you here buddy your not alone.
I can't wait until it's cool to be smart again.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think I just found my long lost english teacher! Ola Dr. Buck

Ps. I enjoy my Clymers manuel alot better than Moby Dick.

Pss. Dick, that word reminds me of a long lost english teacher.

Psss. Should I underline the name of a book? Or can you still get it if I don't?

Old 09-27-2005, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Let it be known that I typically type around 80-90 WPM. I will make mistakes. That doesn't mean I can't spell. There's a difference between hitting a wrong key and simply not putting an effort into a sentence. If finding "one" word not spelled correctly in a post that long gives one that much pleasure you should be able to spend hours on this site ripping the majority of the replies apart.

Maddog....I figured you would chime in on this one. You are usually the voice of reason and maturity when you speak. Thank you.

There are a couple of replies I expected. I obviously hit a nerve. Sorry if the truth hurts. Your age is showing.

Buck

Old 09-27-2005, 01:48 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Riderr
shut up, and stick a tampon in it.

punctuation*
Stupid remark, but at least he spelled it all correctly and even used punctuation!!

Old 09-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kbweathe
I think I just found my long lost english teacher! Ola Dr. Buck

Ps. I enjoy my Clymers manuel alot better than Moby Dick.

Pss. Dick, that word reminds me of a long lost english teacher.

Psss. Should I underline the name of a book? Or can you still get it if I don't?
You're off to a smoking start on this site. Many more replies like this one and your time here will probably be a short one.

Buck

Old 09-27-2005, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LivinInVegas
Buck,
I agree 100% with what you say! The fact is it is cool to be "Axing stupid"! Just look around at some of the young idols that kids emulate. Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton (famous for being famous), Nelly, 50 cent. The biggest issue I have is that in a group session this is when it is prevelent to act stupid, the IQ drops 30%. Take them away from the "stupid" group setting and put them around an older crowd and they don't act that way. Maybe I'm getting old or my tolerance to ignorance is growing shorter. I'm with you here buddy your not alone.
I can't wait until it's cool to be smart again.
Vegas, don't get me wrong. I have no problem with slang terms myself. The example you give is a good one for sure. I am guilty of typing "kewl" instead of "cool" when I reply to threads sometimes. What gets me is a reply that's 20 lines long and doesn't have a capital letter or a period in it anywhere to speak of. It's just a bunch of words slammed together coming out of someone's mouth at a hundred miles an hour.

Having fun with words and screwing around is one thing, not putting an effort into it is another.

Buck

Quick Reply: Kids, pay attention. You might learn something.