Semi-automatic, Automatic, and Manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-1999, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of clutch do you all use. I like my friends Big Bear 4x4 that has the clutchless semiautomatic. What all company's make a clutchless quad? Are there downsides to have one to a manual. Is there any sport quads with it? Sorry bout all the questions I'm tryin to lean a little bout what I want to buy.

Old 10-06-1999, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baseball2B, you approach a large topic. Many different types of clutches may be involved with ATV's. I hope this post may answer part of your excellent question.

Since a question of this scope can hardly be answered on the Forum, I'd suggest a visit to the library for some reading on drivetrains, clutches, transmissions, etc., on motor vehicles in general.

You may also unleash your Internet search engine on these key words.

A manual-clutched ATV may have only a single disk-pack clutch.

"Semi-automatic" ATV's generally have two clutches; a centrifugal primary clutch releasing at low rpm and engaging at high rpm; and a secondary disc clutch pack.

On manual ATV's, the clutch is controled by a dedicated hand lever; the semi-automatic's secondary clutch is controlled by the foot gearshift lever, momentarily disengaging the clutch when changing gears.

"Automatics," like the Suzuki/Arctic Cat system, employ centrifugal clutches engaging belt drive systems.

Other clutches may exist within an ATV. "Limited-slip" front differentials, for example, may use clutch packs biasing torque from a spinning wheel to one with traction.

Again, I hope you find this information of some use; your approach in learning about ATV's before you buy looks like a wise course to me.

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 10-06-1999).]

Old 10-07-1999, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BASEBALL2B, Just to add a little to Tree Farmer, You will generally find that the faster "Sport" Bikes will generally have manual clutches, while the "Sport-Utility" and "Utility" will generally have either automatic clutch/manual shift (foot shifter) or Fully automatic (you ain't gotta shift) One exception is the Honda 450ES and soon to be released Honda 350's, which have no manual clutch, but the shifting is done via buttons on the handlebars, giving you the best of both worlds.