I Learned a valuable lesson this past week

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-1999, 09:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was screwing around in a mud hole on the shore of a lake and managed to bury my Foreman . I tried to use my winch by hooking up to my friends Sportsman 400 . My machine wouldn't budge and pulled him towards me . We both carry tow ropes so we got the brilliant idea to hook the two ropes together and to try to yank my machine free . One good pull and a brand new 6500lb. tow rope gave way sending the metal hook of the second strap right into my friends back , knocking the wind out of him and we thought he had cracked or broken some ribs . I had a jacket over one of the ropes but it wasn't enough to stop the the elastic effect . If it would of hit him in the head who knows what the hell would have happened . Anyway, from now on I will never use a strap or rope with metal hooks on the ends and I will be alot less inclined to play in the mud just for the hell of it .

Old 10-06-1999, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

I carry a 1/2 inch nylon rope with me. I just tie it in a good knot. It is bad enough to get whipped by a rope, much less one with metal hooks. It sure comes in handy when my uncle burries his Polaris and my Max comes to he rescue.

How much mud did it take to stick your Foreman? I mean pure mud, don't include water.

Old 10-07-1999, 06:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Max6x6, since your Max is unstickable, what possible significance lies in the characteristics of the mud sticking Foreman4x4?

Whether the Honda stuck in four inches or forty feet of mud, you and your Max remain superior, right?

Tree Farmer

Old 10-07-1999, 01:41 PM
Range Rover

I guess I took this bait hook line and sinker . I thought that maybe this was just "comparing" stories . Now I realize that this was an attempt to prove that my machine is less capable in the mud than a Max6x6 . My theory is that any stock machine is limited for mud use and that the driver and aftermarket equipment makes the biggest difference . I wonder how come if Max6x6's are so great how come I've never seen one ? Where is the closest dealer ? I don't mean to bad mouth any machine because I really don't care what you ride or drive . You ride what you like and I'll ride what I like . Most of the people on this board realize that the common bond of being owners and users of ATV's is enough to show each other respect . If the day ever comes that I have nothing better to do than to try to push one make or model on people , that's the day I quit riding .

By the way , I'm headed out Friday for a 10 day elk hunt here in Utah . If I have any other experiences or stories of interest I'll post them when I get back home .

Old 10-07-1999, 02:59 PM
Range Rover

I lost momentum when the skid plates and frame ground in to the muck . The mud was actually deeper but the machine was kind of resting on top of it via the skid plate and foot pegs and the stock tires would just spin. The second worst part of the whole experience ( other than the tow rope experience ) was that the mud smelled so bad that I'll probably have to trash the shoes and pants I had on . It took about 45 minutes shoveling and placing rocks and logs into the muck to get out . Another thing I noticed that kind of surprised me was that the stock tires , Goodyear tracker ATT's just gummed up with mud . They have large open spaced bar type lugs that look similar to me as tractor tires . I thought they would clean out mud pretty good but I thought wrong .

Old 10-07-1999, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

I've said this before, but Max knows his machine is far less superior than any fourwheeler. The only thing they could outrun is MAYBE a Breeze or go cart. As for not ever getting stuck, thats part of the fun of fourwheeling with buddies. I would rather risk the chance of getting stuck then have to poke around like a motorized wheel chair every where i went.

Thats a good point, I've never seen a dealer ship, and the only one i've ever seen was for sale. :-) What was left of it anyways.

------------------
Jeremy Cross

1993 Yamaha *turbo* T-wolf

Old 10-07-1999, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer you need to lay off all the stupid comments about me. I was curious about how much mud it took to stick a Foreman. You say the Max is unstickable. I do not know of a single machine on this earth that can't get stuck. A Max is just harder to get stuck than a 4x4. Please talk some sense or don't talk at all.

Jeremy, when I bought my Max do you think I wanted the fastest machine out there? NO, I wanted a machine that would take me far beyond where any quad could go. Neither you or farm boy has ever driven a Max, so how would you know? I have owned several different quads so I can compare them to the Max. I am not at all worried about speed because where I ride you can't go over 10mph no matter what you are driving.

Come on over to my house and I'll show you how to tame some terrain.

There is nothing mightier than the Max!

[This message has been edited by atvbbs (edited 10-12-1999).]

Old 10-08-1999, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

Brandon, You think they look at you funny now, get a Max. Then Everyone will be looking at you funny, as you creep along the trails in a motorized Wheel Chair. The polaris model your talking about, i think i've seen. The one i saw had a bed on the back, similiar to a mule. The polaris will go pretty good, but it is hard to take tight corners and stuff.

------------------
Jeremy Cross

1993 Yamaha *turbo* T-wolf

Old 10-08-1999, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

Just curoius. Who makes Max 6x6? I've seen a Polaris 6x6, is that what yur talking about? If so, those things are beasts. I'm more into hi-performance quads, but am interested in getting some sort of 4x4 quad to take camping in the mountains. The rest of the campers look at me funny when I'm doing 65-70mph on my 250R! And I WANT REVERSE.
BrandonV

Old 10-08-1999, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

That hook breaking realy scares ya.even with the coat trick make sure you hook the hook with open side up if it does break will drive it in ground not air.
COB

Quick Reply: I Learned a valuable lesson this past week