Search this Thread

Old 11-24-1999, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He held on the hole time?

Old 11-24-1999, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unforgiving spills?How bout the girl that sued McDonalds for the hot coffee that spilled on her lap? LOL LOL

Old 11-24-1999, 10:11 AM
Range Rover

Recently, here in East Tennessee, a couple of guys were out in a field on an ATV and some other folks on a John Deere Tractor. THey were both out in a field riding around at about 2:00 AM so I'm guessing alcohol was involved.

The guys on the ATV were going pretty fast and lost track of the tractor. When they located it again it was right in front of them. They hit it pretty hard and the passenger on the ATV ended-up in the hospital. The driver ended-up in the morgue.

I've been riding since 1988 and have had my ATV upside-down only once. I count my blessings every day. I've read all of the posts here see a common thread to most of them: you're most likely to get hurt when riding fast.

------------------
Kevin Staton
Y2K Polaris Magnum 325 4x4
<a href="www.korrnet.org/watvclub">Windrock ATV Club</a>

Old 11-24-1999, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in 1987,I had a brand new 87 King Quad 4x4.After 2 weeks of ownership,I was at this gravel pit and found a mound full of gravel,my bro was watching on his Warrior.This mound of gravel was tempting.So I locked up the 4x4 in diff lock mode and up I went.The quad tipped and thru me off.The handle bar wound up in the middle of my back,knocking the wind out of me.I look back at this,it was a very STUPID thing to do.I wound up with some back pain to.As the saying goes-----STUPID HURTS.

------------------

Old 12-07-1999, 09:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I had a spill I will never forget it was last year my friends and I were riding around some backroads well my ATV was in the shop so my friend told me to come with him so we went we were on our way home going a little too fast on the twisty open roads when we were going too fast to make a turn hit loose gravel and went over a 7 foot imbankment. I wasn`t paying attention when it happened so when it did i just held on for the ride. well my helmet wasn`t strapped tight enough so it popped off and suffered from a broken jaw and internal bleeding in my ear also some road rash i was hopitalized for a week and my mouth was wired shut for 6 weeks. i had to eat liquid food for 8 weeks. but i have to say i`m lucky to be alive

Old 12-07-1999, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

Heres one for ya,

Not long after I got my Xpedition I was climbing a clay bank. It was excavated flat with maybe a 1' near vertical drop at the top. I knew once i got close to it I might be in trouble, but I wasn't about to stop. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but I believe when i hit it I blipped the throttle. Next thing I know I'm rolling down the hill thinking the quad is following me. After I was through with my panic flopping, I stood up, looked back up the hill, and saw my bike standing on it's rack at the top. No damage, no injuries, no pictures, but plenty of witnesses to remind me way to often.

Old 12-07-1999, 04:17 PM
Range Rover

I guess I'll add another one, I have alot of stories & experience I was riding my old 300ex and a friend was on his 250x, we were crusing about wide open down a long straight sand road. He was in front of me by about 30 yds. I could see a 2 inch think wire cable going from telephone pole to pole across the trail. I started to slow down but Mike did not, when he got within 10 yds from the cable he jumped off of the back and the atv slammed the cable. As the 250x got hung up on the cable and started flipping he went sliding by, tumbling a few times. I could not believe my eyes, he slid past the cable without hitting it, BUT when he stood up and turned around SLAM-O, that 250x ran right over Mike. He did get up but was alittle dizzy. The cable was blocking the army property off.

Old 12-07-1999, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

I have got to put my 2cents worth in here.
Back in 85 or 86, my cousin had a Honda quad(utility) and he let me ride it. Since there was only one quad and 3 younger kids plus myself(18 or 19 at the time) we were taking turns riding and timing each other. I ended up about 15 seconds slower than anyone else so I begged for another chance at this trail around the pasture. Here I come toward the finish line in high gear, these kids right beside the trail when I hit a bump. It was like it just picked the quad up and put it back down right in front of the kids! All I could think was to turn the handlebars( Im not sure I even knew where the brakes were) and thats all I remember. I woke up on the couch with a bad headache and everyone gathered around wanting to take me to the ER.
I had a concussion, did about 800$ damage to the quad, and about 1000$ damage to my truck. Yes, I ran the quad right into the front fender of my own truck. It even bent the upper a-frame of my 80 Chevy truck.

I have another story to tell when I have more time

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 12-07-1999, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Part 2...the plot thickens

Up until last year, Ive had no desire to ride a quad but a friend of mine bought a Polaris Sp500 and SP335 and let me ride. After a few minutes, I was having a blast. After a few invitations to join him at the river near his house, I was hooked...I had to have my own quad.
With the help of another friend, we found a 85 LT230. I was worried about the manual clutch but he assured me it was easy to get used to and that these quads were pretty good and rugged. After a few repairs I was ready to ride.
The first ride went without incident, the second was another story.
Everybody was climbing this hill, not too tall but steep with a lip up top. I was ready to prove myself. I stopped to let the guy ahead of me go then I eased out on the clutch and headed up. I climbed the hill just fine but, the quad remained up on rear wheels for a moment before I fell off. I landed flat on my back on hard ground, wind knocked out of me, I could feel my lower back swelling by the minute, and we were miles from the trucks.
After catching my breath, we headed back to the trucks but there was one more obstalce to overcome. I remembered this dry creek bed that was pretty steep going down, I wasnt looking forward to going back up but it was the only trail. I paused for a second, scooted up on the gas tank, and started up. It wasnt very big at all, but more of a "hop" up onto the rock trail leading out of the creek. As my luck would have it, the quad stalled right as i started up, I grabbed the front brake but it was no use. The front wheels werent even on the ground and over I went, quad landing on top of me. I kicked it off and got up saying "It just aint my day is it?". This time my glasses had shifted up my forehead and gouged 2 "snakebite looking" cuts. Thank god these guys talked me into buying a helmet!
I made home and on to the ER, nothing broken but badly bruised. My entire lower back and cheeks of my a$$ were purple in a matter of days. That was July 4 and my back still hurts occasionally.

The moral of the story.....
If you want a big 4 wheel drive quad, BUY ONE! Dont try to save a buck and put your
6-5, 300 lb a$$ on a little sport quad, it hurts too much!!!

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 12-07-1999, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

Well it all started about 7:30 one morning when I was going to work. It was raining and I always ride my quad to work.(about two blocks on a rural route road) Well the road I live on is just oposite the "main" road so I often road across in the raised median to where the two roads become one(about 100 yards apart, it is a loop off of the main road) Well I decided I would just hurry and it wouldn't be a problem. I cut across the median and no problem until I got to the other side, the grass was about a foot tall and I didn't see it had water in it until I was on top of it. When I hit the water I was doing about 35 and it instantly jerked the handlebars out of my hands. It cut a hard right but I continued to go straight. I hit the pavement and skid about 30 yards. I had shorts on, no helmet, but I had on a really tough ski coat to block the rain. My hand was ripped up pretty good as well as the side of my knee. The worst was the pain in my shoulder and side. The pavement never touched my side, but I hit hard enough it severed a nerve and still tore it up pretty good. I slowly got up and my 300 Xplorer had roled, landed on its wheels, and was still running. Broke the brake fluid res. and bent the bars slightly(bent them right back out). I learned later at work as I raised my arm and it popped that it had been out of it's socket and I just thought it hurt. I am a little more careful in all aspects of riding. God was with me that day or my head would have hit the pavement instead of hitting my arm.

Quick Reply: Unforgiving spills