Unforgiving spills

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-1999, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Stories guys! heres one:
one very cold day my friend's brother aaron went riding by himself on his 250 quadsport bored to 270, well he was riding about 2 miles away and near a big creek, so he was goin along, and he had to get up a little hill, well it was kinda icy so he slipped off, quad and all, and fell into the creek.(about a 13 foot drop). he said he was underwater for about 50 seconds. he had to climb out, and walk all the way back. me and his brother alex were just coming home from riding and we didnt expect him back yet. when we pulled into the drive way, he came out, told us the story, got some rope, chains, and hopped on his dads quad (Grizzly). we followed him(me on my 93 blaster, alex on his 91 blaster) back to where it was! it was upside down floating cause of the tires! it looked funny! we had to take ropes and chains, and me and alex hoooked them on our grab bars and we let er rip! aaron tried to winch it out. well, we couldnt get it out so we went home. i went to my house and at about 6:00 alex called me and told me that they had to get a crane to pull the quad out!
James LT250R Blaster

Old 12-10-1999, 06:41 AM
Trailblazer

IN CASE YOU GUYS HAVEN'T NOTICED...

One of the biggest posts in the forum is about people getting hurt on ATVs...almost every reply has a story about an injury.

Don't be stupid, use your ATV to get where you wanna go, have a blast in mud, and etc...but don't go hauling *** in a shopping center, or by an area with a lot of trees. Be especially careful on hills, don't hit the gas when going up a hill...and use your body weight to balance out your machine when it gets unstable, and please...PLEASE use your freakin' brain.

...I've been in a few wrecks myself on my Polaris 250 2x4, one time even hit a light pole...heh, but not anymore

ALSO...ALWAYS WHERE A HELMET, it may be uncomfortable, or look stupid...but it might save your life, it saved me some serious injuries.

One time I was on my brother's Honda XL 80 motorcycle when I was about 11, I hit a pothole going about 30 in a field and flew off the bike, the front of my head hit a stump, breaking the "jaw" part of my helmet..

I also have an 89 chevy blazer 4x4 that I had too much fun in, and ended up hitting a tree...but thankfully didn't hurt me or anyone else in the process...my quad hasn't been running for a while so thats my new four wheeler.

Hoping to fix my ol' TrailBoss soon..

Happy Trailin',
Trent
16 yrs old..
Houston, TX

[This message has been edited by BornToMUD (edited 12-10-1999).]

[This message has been edited by BornToMUD (edited 12-10-1999).]

Old 12-11-1999, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, you all have some good stories. I just bought '00 Grizzly a week ago and have already rolled it on it's side (no injuries) so I know there is a lot of potential for injuries if you are not careful. Well, I'll tell my story. No major injuries, but irony of when it happened makes it worth telling. I'm a cop in Air Force and 2 years ago while I was TDY to Saudi Arabia a couple of our co-workers whom were certified ATV safety instructors decided to put on a class for us. Well, we did our thing where we do quick turns and all w/o incident. We decided we'd go do a fun run out in the desert so off we went. Most of us were running newer Warriors. We went a ways out in the desert and turned around to head back in. We were moving along at a good pace, but a buddy of mine lost a piece of his atv (cover for a storage compartment) so myself and another friend stopped and helped him put it back on. The rest of group didn't notice us stop and kept going. We took off and decided to catch up to them. Well, I took the wrong path and noticed that the correct path was about 20 feet to the right of me. So I'm all the way open and cut across the grass to get on the path when I see this ditch. Nothing big, looked like a back hoe or something had dug a little hole and left about a 2 foot lip of sand. Well, I hit this thing full throttle and damn near flip over handle bars when I land. I end up biting a hole through my lower lip and spraining my wrist. I'm totally dazed and don't dare get back on the thing. Finally, the rest of the guys turn around and come see what the problem is. Here we are in the middle of the desert and I'm hurt. We had to send one of the guys back to one of the entry control points and have them dispatch a patrol to follow them out to transport me to the hospital. Funny thing is, I still passed the safety course, hahaha.

Old 12-24-1999, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer

Well just about a week ago me and a friend were riding in the foothills. It was real foggy and my buddy went down this hill. I was following slowy on my 400ex waiting to see if he was going to come back up the hill. When I saw he wasn't I looked back at the hill and right in front of me was a 2 foot deep and 5 or 6 feet wide hole on a already steep hill. I leaned back as far as I could. I should have throtled to get the front end to wheelie over it but all I could think of is rear brake. The next thing I know I am over the handle bars and rolling down the hill with the quad right behind me. Luckly I was able to roll fast enough to get out of the way. The bike rolled quite a few times then landed on its wheels and stopped a little ways down the hill. Me and the bike were ok though I was a little stiff. My buddy could see a shadow of the bike flipping in the fog and came racing up the hill before my bike was even done rolling. I think it scared him as much as me because we had a friend that was killed in a similar accident a few months back. That friend was coming down a hill and somehow flipped over frontwards but the rack on his bike landed on his neck and he was killed instantly. So have fun but be careful cause it can happen any time at any speed.
Mike

------------------

Old 12-25-1999, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Nick says it all! heres a good story for you all and hopefully you all will learn from my stupidity.

It was the day after my 14th birthday and i had just gotten a brand new 1999 Yamaha Blaster for it. I was so excited to get up at the crack of dawn the next morning and ride till the sun goes down. I started out at around 9 that morning and i rode all day until about 1:30 when this accident happened. There is this steep hill where i ride that we all call spider hill because there is hills on all sides of a plateau that you can go either up or down. I was about 50 yds. behind my buddy because i couldnt ride too hard i had to break the engine in. So he went up one of the hills and when i go up to the hill i started on my way up. Not knowing that he had already turned around on the plateau and started riding towards the lip of the hill to make a big jump down. So here i am 3/4 of the way to the top of the hill and the next thing i remember is eating the front bumper of his Honda TRX 200SX. i went tumbling back down the hill but luckily my quad got hung up with his at the top and didnt chase me back down. Somehow the visor of his helmet got underneath mine and gave me a nice big gash just above my eyebrow requiring 5 stitches there and 2 more about 1 centimeter to the left of my left eye. Just a little bit to the right and i'dbe missing and eye. After i was ably to walk again about 10 mins after the accident, some guy that i had never seen before in my life pulled up in a Jeep Wrangler and drove me about 3 miles back to my house. The only thing wrong with my quad is a crack in my top A-arm. So that gives you a pretty good idea of the speed we were going. As for my buddy nothing happened to him or his quad. Learn from this, ALWAYS use a spotter!

Chris
1999 LRD Mod Blaster

Old 12-25-1999, 02:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like your friend was insane!

RoostKing