ATV communications: FRS or handheld CB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-1999, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Motorola 10X radios and they claim 5 miles. Have not ever tested that, but that would probably require optimal conditions that don't ever exist. But, so far I know I have been at least 3 miles away and they worked just fine and clear. You can either use nicad rechargeable batteries or put in regular alkaline batteries for longer use. They are very durable and have not had any failures.

Old 12-08-1999, 08:37 PM
Range Rover

We've been using the Motorola Talk-Abouts for deer hunting this year. In hilly, wooded terrain I find they are crystal clear up to 3/4 mile (verified w/ GPS). I'm sure it might not be the same somewhere else, but thats what I have found. Beyond that distance it fades rapidly. They are great for line of sight communications.

CB's are excellent but not as compact. And will work fine providing any locals aren't playing with a "modified" radio, or are fuedin' with other locals screaming across all the USB and LSB channels and all 40 in between. I won't even mention about when "the skip is in..."

Old 12-08-1999, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

TX DOC@;we to have the motorola sport 10,we have gotten 8 miles but that was pretty flat ground.More realistic in the moutains is 2 miles I can verify that.Thats alot of trees and rough terrain.We use them more for snowmobileing,we use the speaker mike like the cops use work great.I've had mine 3yrs trouble free.
PROSPECTOR;I to have diesel pickup with 26ft covered snowmobile trailer ,we use radios to backup and what have you no trouble hearing,and I am hard of hearing.
Whats that quad duster site again,I wanted to go back and lok see again.
[This message has been edited by corncob2 (edited 12-08-1999).]

[This message has been edited by corncob2 (edited 12-08-1999).]

Old 12-08-1999, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Old 12-09-1999, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

Just so everyone knows: the Motorola 10x is a GMRS radio. They share 6 channels with FRS so they are compatible but not with the higher channels.

------------------
Kevin Staton
Y2K Polaris Magnum 325 4x4
<a href="www.korrnet.org/watvclub">Windrock ATV Club</a>

Old 12-09-1999, 07:48 PM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CB frequency (30-50 Mhz) Referred to as "low band" Does not use repeater system. (simplex in other words) This particular freq. will "skip" off of objects or the atmosphere and therefore, at certain times, will be able to provide a good distance for radio to radio communications. Draw back, very noisey and no privacy, radio is big and bulky.

VHF (Very High Frequency) 136-174 Mhz C/W CTCSS Tone for privacy. Simplex or Duplex operation available. 5 watt capability for portables. Coverage is completely subject to the terrain for unit to unit communications. Rule of thumb is line of sight. If you cant see them, you probably cant talk to them. A Repeater system will provide extended coverage, although if the portable is not in line of sight of the Repeater tower, chances are, it wont work.

UHF (Ultra High Frequency) 406-420 Mhz Same characteristics as VHF apply to this Freq.. 1 or 2 watt power output. Portable radio is considerably smaller and lighter.

Cellular (800 Mhz) Once again, same functions as the UHF, VHF, except no simplex operation, and if you cant see the cell site, it probably won't work. Power output 0.6 watt.

RF communications are subject to a lot of variables. If you are out Quading, and there is an emergency, find the highest point that you can see, and ride up there. If you have a Cell Phone or a Two Way Radio, this is the best point to achieve communications with the outside world.

Old 12-09-1999, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

r34!,

Nice post! You failed to mention that CB's are AM transcievers. The are "low band" but AM, not FM as is used primarily in the rest of the bands that you mentioned. Also, a CTCSS tone (I've never heard that one) I'm assuming is the same as a Private Line tone, or Channel Guard tone. It is a tone riding on the carrier and the reciever of a radio that is looking for that carrier and tone will only unsquelch when it sees both. But no scanner looks for that tone, only carrier. Yes it is private if others are on the same frequncy and are also listening for other pl's on their radios.
Next VHF will ususally work alot better without being in the line of sight, than UHF will. True you can buy radios on the FRS or itennerant frequencies (usable by the public) that are only 1 or 2 watts, but their are many good portables in the UHF band that will put out 4 watts.
As far as cellular goes, even if you can't see a site that doesn't mean it won't work. Just depends on how far away it is. Also a mobile or bag phone will generally put out 3 watts. You are correct about the .6watts on the portables though. Also, cellular reaches into the 900 mhz range now.

"LOCK 'EM AND LEAVE'EM!!!"
SwampMonster

Old 12-10-1999, 04:07 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the info. The more I read about it, I think CB best suits *my* needs.

For quad-to-quad comms, most of the time we should be within 1/2 mile of each other when riding. We do most of our riding in very mountainous areas with lots of trees (except when we get above timberline ) These trails are so crooked, you could ride 20 miles and still be less than 5 miles from the starting point the whole time!

I can put inexpensive mobil CB on the quads
I already have a CB for the truck (need to install it though).
I can use a handheld CB to talk to CB in the truck for trailer-backing.

Still shopping for the "right" handheld.
- I saw a package of 2 for $57 at Walmart .. but they don't have any capability for external power (cigarette lighter plug), external mic or speaker. Sorry, but the external power source is a *MUST*.

Best prices I've found so far has been <a href="http://www.bills2way.com/equip/handheld.html">Bill's 2 Way</a>... even cheaper than a dutch-auction on E-bay! Now the hard part is deciding which model to buy .. real cheap (factory refurb. Cobra HH-36-ST $19.88), Small (Midland 75-830 $92.95), or in-between (Midland 75-810 $44.88 or Maxon HCB-30A $31.95) ...
decisions, decisions, decisions
------------------
Tim Bundrick
'98 Polaris Sportsman 500
'00 Yamaha Kodiak
<a href="mailto:tbundrick@cos.wantweb.net">tbundrick@ cos.wantweb.net </a>

[This message has been edited by Prospector (edited 12-10-1999).]

Old 12-10-1999, 04:39 AM
Trailblazer

Has any one put any thought into integrading a CB antenna with a flag whip on the back of your atv. I have a handheld CB and I've been wondering if it could be done. I know the antennas need a ground plane but wouldn't they impove a handheld CB performance if you had a full size antenna about 6-7 feet off the ground? Wilson antennas makes a non-grounding type of antenna for non-metalic RV, do you think that would work better? As far as being tangled up in wires you would want a quick disconnect for the antenna wire that would pop off if kind of easy. And since you have wires coming off your self already, you might as well wire some sort of PTT button to your left handle bar by your thumb, plus wire 12v power to boost the wattage a little. Or just hard mout one of those little Unidens and figure out some sort of mic/headphone thing. I don't know, anyone else have any thoughts along this line.

[This message has been edited by oregonrider (edited 12-10-1999).]

Old 12-10-1999, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider

hmmm... you could fab a ground plane by cutting a piece of sheetmetal to fit the FRONT rack ... then your CB antenna could also replace the willow stick for keeping spider webs outta your face

------------------
Tim Bundrick
'98 Polaris Sportsman 500
'00 Yamaha Kodiak
<a href="mailto:tbundrick@cos.wantweb.net">tbundrick@ cos.wantweb.net </a>

[This message has been edited by Prospector (edited 12-10-1999).]

Quick Reply: ATV communications: FRS or handheld CB?