Winching Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1999, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a trick I learned while Jeeping about getting unstuck that would be even easier to apply to an ATV due to their light weight. If you have a winch, but get stuck where there isn't an anchor within reach of the winch cable, like a tree, rock, etc. you can create a "ground anchor".

You need a small shovel to do this - that's why a lot of off-roaders carry an army surplus, folding shovel with the stubby handle. You also need to carry, or find near where you're stuck, some kind of rigid object to attach to - the shovel itself works, or a jack handle, a tree branch, a short hunk of 2 x 4, a large rock with a rough surface that won't let the line slip off.

You dig a hole to fit that object, deep enough to hold it securely - maybe 9" deep. There are two keys. First, the edge of the hole facing your stuck rig has to be undercut back towards the rig so the anchor won't pull up and out - it will be pulled down into the angled wall of the hole instead.

Second, you need to dig a narrow slit in the ground about 2' - 3' long on the rig side of the hole, almost the depth of the hole, to run the winch line from the rig to the anchor. This will allow the line to pull directly on the anchor, pulling it into the wall of the hole, instead of pulling it up and over the top of the hole.

Secure the winch line to the anchor (it's better to wrap a nylon strap around the anchor and attach the winch hook to the strap), mash it in the hole, take up the winch slowly to make sure it's going to hold. Then up and out the rig goes.

It's awkward to describe, but it's very easy to do. I've done the whole thing in 5 - 10 minutes. You'll be amazed at how well it can work if you dig the hole right and keep that line from pulling up on the anchor.

Here's the clincher that I adapted from snow climbing training. You can even make this work without anything to attach to of any kind. It's possible to dig about a six-foot diameter circle trench in the dirt (or even sand or snow if it's wet and compacted) and then run the winch line all the way around the loop, and winch against the dirt or snow itself. It's far better to have a nylon tow strap to do this because it won't cut into the ground/snow/sand so much. By distributing the load around the big circle, it will work wonders. This trench doesn't have to be very deep, depending on the consistency of the dirt/snow/sand. Again, the key is angling the face of the trench so the cable digs in rather that pulls up and over the lip.

Luck!

troberts - Waiting for my AC 500 4 x 4 Auto to be dealer prepped.

[This message has been edited by troberts (edited 12-10-1999).]

Old 12-19-1999, 01:29 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like your idea, hope i never have to get the chance to try it. I carry 100ft of heavy duty nylon rope with me just incase the cable wont reach a anchor point. ive only had to bring out the rope 1 time and im glad i had it. BOB