"Girls Riding ATVs?"

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with BurleyOne on this, but I must say it would be cool to always have a riding buddy ready when I felt like riding.

Old 11-13-2000, 07:01 PM
Range Rover

Wanna here from a female...from ME????
I am 32 and I LOVE to ride!!
I have a 2001 400ex, yellow..FMF pipe, K&N filter, Renthal bars, DG nerfs, Rath racing front bumper!!Before the 400ex...I had a tricked out 300ex.
I like to jump, get muddy, kick it up on the trails and climb some hills!!
This past weekend I tried to take my 400 for a swim!!! I went thru a mud hole and got stuck smack in the middle. There was mud up to the bottom of the fenders!!! I just sat there with my feet propped on the front fenders, laughing my head off, waiting for the guys to throw my a tow strap. My husband got a picture of that!!
My riding buddies are all guys and I really don't mind!!! Right now...I don't know any other females who like to kick it up on a quad with the guys. Oh well...
My husband(he rides a sweet 440ex)encouraged me to get into riding and has taught me everything I know. All the other guys I ride with are so cool too.
I would really like to see more females out on the trails and the tracks!! This is the best sport out there!!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!!

/////////////////////////

THIS POST EDITED BY THE MODERATOR:

The ATV Connection Forum Guidelines prohibit profanity, whether used directly or indirectly (AND it's not ladylike either). You have placed your Forum posting PRIVILEGES at risk. Continued use of foul language WILL result in disciplinary sanctions up to and including TERMINATION of your posting privileges. Thank you for your cooperation in helping to make the ATV Connection Forum a suitable site for the whole family.

Moderators log all instances of foul language. Three strikes and you're out.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

ATVBBS

///////////////////////

Old 11-14-2000, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

nice pics slb300ex,
I just bought a raptor and my fiance is really interested in riding and I will probably get her a 300 ex. She wants mine but.... 300ex will be perfect for her. My buddies also have their fiance's or girlfriends involved and if you guys didnt live so far away we would come join ya sometime. We are going to be riding in haspen acres, badlands, amish ville, and the new lawrence county area(all in Indiana).

Old 11-14-2000, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

Ive been riding for a bit and have been trying to get my fiance into it. Ive showed her how to operate one but she hasnt really got on it and rode. I hope to take her out on it when it gets a little warmer and teach her. The only real big problem right now is I have only one quad, the shee, think she might stall it about the first 20 times.
I plan on buying her a 300ex or a 250ex whichever she feels more confortable on.

Hope all goes well when I throw her on the shee!

Old 11-14-2000, 09:12 AM
Range Rover

Creeper..we live on opposite sides of the state!!!!! That sucks. Have you all ever been to Wayne nat'l???? We have been going there a lot. I hear the Badlands are radical. We have plans to go to Silver Lake next year and play in the sand. I can't wait!!! Ever been there???

JIGA...get her a 300ex....I really did like mine. And yeah..she will stall it a lot..I did!!! Man..just be paitent with her PLEASE!!! You two will have a blast when she gets her own quad!! She may end up smoking your butt in the end!!!! LOL!!!
Good luck....

Old 11-14-2000, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

JIGA, I would'nt buy her a manual clutch machine if she's a first time rider to atv's. The 300ex might seem a little intimadating to a beginner.
I see a lot of women riding polaris trailblazers and they love the ease of use, do to the auto tranny.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 11-14-2000, 09:39 AM
Range Rover

A Banshee is not exactly a beginner's bike. Perhaps you'll have better luck convincing your fiancee to engage in ATVing if she has an easier more forgiving bike to learn on?

Certainly buying a second quad is an expensive proposition not to be undertaken lightly if you're unsure that your fiancee will really use it. But have you considered renting one? While places that rent ATVs are few and far between, they do exist. The one that I saw advertised in Ohio rents Polaris 250 Trailboss quads, just the kind of bike that is well suited for a rank beginner.

Try looking around for a place that rents ATVs. Or worst case, put the arm on a buddy who has a beginner's bike your fiancee could borrow occasionally until she is sure she wants to continue in the sport.

Next, get her signed up for the ATV Safety Course. They usually require that you have your own quad, but when I looked into the safety course they did have two loaner quads available (but they got snapped up pretty quickly).

Finally, please reconsider putting her on the Banshee. Starting her, or any beginner, on a vehicle that is too much for them, does no one any favors. An initial bad experience could sour her on ATVs for a long time, or worse yet, it could result in an accident that could leave you with a lifetime of regret.

My brother is an airline pilot. He is now a captain on a Boeing 757… but he learned on a Cessna 150. Years ago when my best friend was in the US Naval Academy, his first flight was not in an F-4 Phantom, it was in a T-28 (the “T” stands for TRAINER). There are real and very good reasons all pilots start in training planes, and those reasons are no less valid for motorcycles or ATVs. But unlike flying a plane, there is no “FAA” looking over the shoulder of beginning ATV pilots. Instead we must rely on the commonsense of the user, a commodity all too often in short supply.

My first motorcycle was not the Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours I ride today, it was a Tohatsu 50. In any automotive learning situation, it's always a good idea to carefully size the machinery to the student's abilities. You can always put her on the Banshee AFTER she has mastered the basics.

Army Man

Old 11-14-2000, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

Just bought a Trailblazer for my wife she`s been wanting one for some time. I told her if you REALLY want one we`ll get it. She finally said I REALLY want it, so we got one. Now it`s too cold to ride she wants to wait untill spring for her maiden voyage.

My only concern (it may sound sexist but) is if she were to get hurt. We have 2 kids 6 yr old boy & 3 yr old girl to take care of. The bad part is I travel all over the world average 150 to 160 days away from home yes thats 5 to 6 months a year away. If she broke an arm or something we`d be up a creek.

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250

Old 11-14-2000, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

My wife rides her TrailBoss, and she can really haul! Of course, she started off on 3-wheelers, and spent most of the last 10 years with a dirtbike. She can handle a clutch, but prefers to not have to worry about it.
My daughter, who is over 18 years old, can ride either of our ATV's, as well as the dirtbike that is hers. Since we got the ATV's, though, she hasn't spent a lot of time on the dirtbike. She also has a 4x4 pickup with a 5-speed, that she owns and drives. And she can handle a gun better than most folks!
I figured out a while back, that if I wanted to spend a lot of weekends riding, I needed to include my family. The dirtbikes were fun, except if it got muddy. Nothing compares to ATV's, though. Riding 6+ hours a day on weekends is not unusual for us!

Old 11-14-2000, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

SLB300ex,
I previously owned a 300ex and loved it and I feel she will love it to death also. I let her try on my rapter and she only stalled once but she never got out of first gear(not enough room where we were at the time). We have a 8 and a half month boy which is hard for her to get to practice riding. She is wanting to take the safety course that yamaha offers and she will be doing this on my raptor but that thing is way too big for her you are right the 300 ex would be perfect. She is only 5'4 and around 105lbs so the 300ex will be plenty for her. I have not been to any legal riding areas yet but will be soon. If you guys decide to head to Indiana sometime let me know I can get quite a few people to go and it would be a blast.