Transporting Atv

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the preferred and easiest method of hauling a quad. Trailer or Truck?

Old 11-15-2000, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

"All generalizations, including this one, are false."

Generally, a truck is preferable when hauling ANYTHING.

A trailer is a real pain, although a necessry evil in many cases. You've gotta look out for the trailer when maneuvering, when passing cars, and: when BACKING! Like on a twisty mountain road at night along the edge of a 1000-foot cliff . . . You've gotta couple and uncouple the dang thing; hook up the lights, find a place to stow/park it when you're not dragging it . . .

Special needs and circumstances may sometimes dictate a trailer; avoid it if you can.

Diogenes

Old 11-15-2000, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

How do quads fit in smaller trucks like the Dakota as compared to a Ram? Is it a big difference with ride and ease of loading?

Old 11-15-2000, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

Hey- try it out. My 300ex is a perfect match in our Toyota's, but the wife Recon doesnt fit as well. The Recon grill hits the window, so I have to pull it back to the tail gate and strap it. If more than 2 of us go, we use a 16' trailer. It works ok, but can be a PAIN!!

Old 11-15-2000, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

We used a 16 foot enclosed trailer that we had all decked out on the inside with everything we needed
for sport quads until some LOW LIFE SCUM SUCKING TERD stole it from me and took everything out he wanted then lit it on fire.
Now we use a crappy lawn trailer.

Old 11-15-2000, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

We used a 16 foot enclosed trailer that we had all decked out on the inside with everything we needed
for sport quads until some LOW LIFE SCUM SUCKING TERD stole it from me and took everything out he wanted then lit it on fire.
Now we use a crappy lawn trailer.

Old 11-15-2000, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Depending on how many ATVs you have you can choose one or another.
If you have 1 atv, go for the truck (it's a car, no maneuvring or anything like that). I think any ATV will fit in a small size pickup (I hope, that's what I'm planning to get -ranger, sonoma/S-10, tacoma, mazda Bseries...don't know which one yet-).
If you have 2 ATVs, then a trailer would be better,although you can fit 2 ATVs on a single pickup (with I don't remember who makes an "overbed" rack so you put your quads sideways over the bed). It's recommended to have a full size pickup then (like you said ram, Ford F, chevy/gmc or toyota tundra). A longer trailer will be easier to maneuver (like 2 quads one behind each other).
If you have 3 ATVs, you still can fit them on a pick up!! It's the same as described above, but you have like a "drop rack" behind the bed and can put a 3rd quad.
4 ATVs, trailer necessary.

I would go all the way with a pickup (you can still pull a trailer with the pickup), easier to drive...more convenient.

Old 11-16-2000, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

For transporting ATV's in a truck, there are 3 makes of ATV racks. Two of them make in-line models as well as side-loading models. Check out www.atvpickupcaddy.com, www.quadcaddy.com, and www.saf-tload.com. I purchased the ATVPickupCaddy (double in-line) for my dually, because of the concern that the side-loading ramps would hit the extended dually fender flares. WayneB has the Saf-TLoad version, and is equally as happy with that. P.S. The single versions allow you to still carry a lot of gear underneath the rack, in the bed of your truck.

Old 11-16-2000, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For (1) quad a truck is the ticket, for (2) it will work, but once past (2) Id go with a trailer. One major benefit of the trailer is that there usually much lower than truck bed and so easier on the back to lift and load. Depending on how many times you tansport your quad(s), the lower height of a trailer might be a neat feature.

Rude Dog.

Old 11-16-2000, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

For me I use a trailer, reason being is I have a car. I could not justify spending $5000+ on a truck to haul a $2000 used atv. Of course I would prefer to through to use a truck.

Quick Reply: Transporting Atv