Wench or come along?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2000, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys I hear alot of talk on here about mud riding and am wondering what most of you guys recommend. The wench is there all the time and may be seized up when the time comes to use it, on the other hand the come along can be a real pain to. The come along is by far the cheapest but is it the best for a real MUD RIDER?

Old 01-06-2000, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have a winch on my 454 and I don't use it much. The Winch comes in handy in tight situations and is not likely too seize up. There are times when you get into a place where you don't have anything to winch to, but on the other hand your not going to have anything to hook the come along up to. I would rather have the winch over the come along anyday. Just my opinion.

Old 01-06-2000, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

I have used electric winches since 1977. I have never had one "seize up" or fail. You would be amazed at the abuse one can take and the various conditions they will operate under. A come-a-long is cheaper and works well, also. It would depend on how often you plan to use it as to which would be best for you.

Old 01-06-2000, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Winch or comealong?

Lemme think.

If price is no object, electric winch (You said "wench," too many variables exist in these products for definitive and general evaluation!).

Fifty feet of line pull beats twelve or so, often. With the right accessories and techniques, an electric winch will get you unstuck quicker.

On the other hand, if on a budget, a genuine $ 15 made-in-China comealong is a whole lot better than nothing at all, not to mention better than spending the night in the swamp.

Still can't decide? Go ahead, buy the comealong! Try it out! If you find it adequate, you've saved yourself some money. If not, $ 15 won't break you. The comealong may come in handy even after you mount your wench; pardon, winch.

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 01-06-2000).]

Old 01-06-2000, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Smokin reply Treefarmer!I use my winch more frequently now since I'm plowing snow but have used it only half a dozen times.(ATV only 6 months old)Pricey but worth every penny if you really need it.Treefarmer is right on.

2000 450ES Red.

Old 01-06-2000, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Dang tree farmer that was cold. I caught the winch thing too. I wasnt going to say anything though. Last time I said something about someones spelling. I got ragged by someone. It was also a joke. But that was a harsh joke.

[This message has been edited by BIGBADCAT (edited 01-06-2000).]

Old 01-06-2000, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me,neither a winch or comealong will do.I learned way back in 1987 to stay away from anything that could possible get me stuck while I was riding alone.Now,I carry a tow strap and so does my brother on our quads at all times.As long as we are riding together,we will try anything.If one of us do get stuck,we allways have each others tow strap and quads to help out.Think of how inexpensive the tow strap thing is to,compared to a winch or cumbersome comealong?I realize not everyone thinks as I do,but hey,give it some thought?====BILL

------------------

Old 01-06-2000, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

But a winch is a lot easier to get than a riding buddy for some of us. Not to mention alot cheaper.

I have a lot of people with quads around where I live, but I don't think a Recon or a stock tired 450s is going to pull me out where I get stuck. My buddies 450s with Mud Bugs has trouble sometimes.

Old 01-06-2000, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Many times I have to ride when I have time without much time to make plans. Consequently, I go when I can and sometimes I ride by myself. It is really nice not to have to depend on finding someone. I have used my winch for pulling wire thru conduit, pulling up shrubs instead of digging, pulling barbed wire fences tight (I have the Warn brake kit installed), etc.

Old 01-07-2000, 04:00 AM
Range Rover

Sure, it would be nice to have a............

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you wanted a WENCH to come along.

Quick Reply: Wench or come along?