How important are boots for a weekend warrior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important are boots for a weekend warrior?

Any feedback on necessity of boots would be great. My friend and I just bought ATVs and we are basically weekend warriors....trail, desert, and dunes without the high flying acts or track races. I still think they are important... but I am just a rookie.

Can anyone please give me examples of injuries sustained without boots, or injuries prevented with boots... or if you think they aren't all that important.

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider

what kind of machines do you ride?

if u ride utilities then i'd recommend just wearing some regular hiking boots or something like that

and if ur on sport quads then look into getting some nice riding boots once you ride with a pair you'll never go back to shoes again lol

Old 05-31-2006, 01:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't owned a set of riding boots since I rode motocross bikes. IMO they are not a necessity unless you're racing or ride like crazy. That's not to say that they aren't nice to have though.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

I used to just wear steel toed work boots, good protection for most things, but many years ago, I rode a buddy's Banshee, came off a small jump,my foot slipped off the peg, and got sucked under the spinning rear tire, ouch is an understatement, the bending at the ankle, along with the tire munching on the side of my leg, almost ruined a riding trip. A few hours later, I was back riding, but a lot more carefully. Since then, I wear riding boots when possible, when trail riding on utilities, they are not a necessity, but give you that little extra bit of protection, stabilize your ankle, and protect the shin and calf area. They make very comfortable trail boots, with lug soles, that aren't as stiff as pure racing boots, that give great protection over hiking or work boots. In the end, your riding style and peace of mind are what's important.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Riding boots are nice for several reasons.

Obviously the protection issue is a huge point. They really do save you from a lot of lower leg injuries. They also inspire confidence in your riding because you feel more protected. They are nice for going through nasty trails with lots of branches and such, the protect much higher up on the leg than regular boots.

With all that said a lot of people get by without them just fine. At the VERY LEAST a nice pair of over the ankle leather boots are good. I generally wear some heavy workboots like my Dr Martens or an old pair of Rockeys I have for trail rides and practice. If I race I'll wear my riding boots. But I'd say most of the people I ride with both sport and utility wear leather work boots of some kind.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input. I haven't seen many lower top MX Boots. Icon sells some that they market at Street bike boots... they seem to have decent protection for a lower top boot.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

I went for years just using work boots or rubber boots - even went through a few pairs. Always rode in the company with my brother who had a nice set of riding boots. Basically, I was too cheap to shell out the $$$ for riding boots. Found a pair on sale a couple of years ago and now would never consider riding without them. I ride utilities but the riding boots keep my feet dryer, warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer and overall they just feel better. You can find lots of options in the $100 to $150 range.

Jaybee

Old 07-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: themartinz
Any feedback on necessity of boots would be great. My friend and I just bought ATVs and we are basically weekend warriors....trail, desert, and dunes without the high flying acts or track races. I still think they are important... but I am just a rookie.

Can anyone please give me examples of injuries sustained without boots, or injuries prevented with boots... or if you think they aren't all that important.

Thanks.
IMO boots are great. When I first started riding I didnt wear em. Then I got a pair and was thankful I was wearing them when I flipped my four wheeler. My right ankle got yanked and pulled.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: themartinz
Thanks for the input. I haven't seen many lower top MX Boots. Icon sells some that they market at Street bike boots... they seem to have decent protection for a lower top boot.
yea under that or 50cc boots look on ebay for some great deals

Old 07-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Just as with any other safety gear, namely a helemt, is your body worth it? At first I only wore some work boots but got a used pair of boots cheap off a friend. They've saved my ankles on a number of occasions. They do take some getting used to, but in no time they aren't a big deal. Though do spend some money and get as nice of a boot as you can. I have some O'Neal ELements which are bottom of the line and haven't held up.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: How important are boots for a weekend warrior?