Snow Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2000, 02:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember seeing a Snow Coversion kit last
year or the year before. But I can't recall the company name. The kit contained a bolt on track system for the rear wheels and a bolt on set of skis for the front. Does any one have the name of the company or a web site name.

thank,

Old 01-18-2000, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

I looked into that myself for the banshee....
It is quite costly...But looks pretty wild. Alot of the magazine reviews I read gave it a thumbs up. they want over 2 grand for the Banshee kit....and you have to run their rear end...
Well check it out for yourself...

http://www.snotraxx.com/

I have yet to see one in action...and was wondering how it really works for the consumer...Not just a magazine test.

Old 01-18-2000, 08:47 PM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a small picture of a converted Quad in the February Issue of Dirtwheels, second from the last page in the lower left corner.
( The guy is jumping it )

Old 01-18-2000, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

This is out of the new March 2000 issue of Dirtwheels magazine.

"SnowTrax Conversions has informed us that the Swedish car company Volvo is working with them on a new version of their add-on ski and track assemblies. The snow track kits will now bolt on without having to swap out axles and be simpler to install and remove for winter riding, says SnowTrax impresario Chuck Shaw. The new kits have also benefitted from a 40-50 percent weight reduction in the rear track assembly. There is also a new tread design in the works. Even the cost of the snow conversion kits has dropped, from $2400 to $1995 for the base version. The SnowTrax conversion kits are available for Yamaha's Banshee and Warrior, most Polaris models, Honda 250R, 400EX, 300EX, 250X, and Suzuki's LT500 & LT250s. For more information contact SnowTrax at (800) 711-7669."

Sounds good to me!

Old 01-18-2000, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

There is a company called TRU-TRAX which also makes a track setup or dual wheels for 4x4's Quads. The track setup consists of an extra rear axle with rims and tires that attaches to your hitch, then the track wraps around your your new tandem rear axles.
Website URL
http://www.trutrax.qpg.com/page2.html

------------------
Ride the "WILD COUNTRY" , South Gillies, Ontario, Canada. Y2K Honda 450ES <a>The "BIGGER BIG RED"</a> <a>JJTH</a>

[This message has been edited by BigRed450 (edited 01-18-2000).]

Old 01-18-2000, 11:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would anyone want to do this to there quad? Would any of these 4 wheelers be able to match like a Polaris XC 500cc twin? You can easily find a snowmobile for much less then the cost of the kit, and will be more powerful and handle better. Ive seen a really nice Indy 600 xcr for sale for $2000. Is anyone with me on this?

Old 01-19-2000, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

A tracked quad can pull more weight through thick bush and deeper snow than any snow machine could. Utility use not for speed on a utility quad.

------------------
Ride the "WILD COUNTRY" , South Gillies, Ontario, Canada. Y2K Honda 450ES <a>The "BIGGER BIG RED"</a> <a>JJTH</a>

Old 01-19-2000, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Dominator, here are some positive things about the snow conversion kits for quads.
*There's no snowmobile made today that has either a manual shift transmission or a 4 stroke engine.

*You should be less prone to sink in fluffy snow, since the two back tracks have more surface area then the one track on a snowmobile.

*When they tested them, they said they could jump a lot higher before bottoming than a snowmobile.

*If you find a snowmobile for less than what that snowtrax conversion costs, then you are buying some old POS more than likely. The older snowmobiles weren't built good and had to be fixed more than they could be ridden.
*Don't want to trip over your snowmobile sitting in the garage in the summer-another reason.

*Don't want to spend hours getting your snowmobile ready for the season-another reason, since your quad is ready because you've been riding it in the summer.

*Do you know of any snowmobiles with manual clutches?

That's all I can think of at this time.

[This message has been edited by rooster (edited 01-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by rooster (edited 01-19-2000).]

Old 01-19-2000, 04:06 PM
Range Rover

I would have to agree with Dominator on the Snowmobile vs. ATV in the snow issue. For the $2500 you can buy a sled that will out and out thrash the best ATV with SnowTraxx there is, on the snow.

“*There's no snowmobile made today that has either a manual shift transmission or a 4-stroke engine.”

Rooster, You are correct, there is no snowmobile made today that has a manual transmission and a four-stroke engine. There is a reason for this however, when riding in deep powder snow it is important to keep a smooth steady power supply to the track, you want to avoid jerky acceleration, sudden starts and keep your momentum up, if you don’t, you could end up buried in the snow. There is a 4-stroke sled manufacturer on the market now however, go here to see it:

http://www.redlinesnowmobiles.com/

Take special note of the 1300cc, 225hp model called the Revolt. (Yes, that’s right, 225hp!)

“*You should be less prone to sink in fluffy snow, since the two back tracks have more surface area then the one track on a snowmobile.”

No tracked ATV is going to go through snow more efficiently or as well as a snowmobile. You must remember sleds are specifically designed to go on snow, Atv’s aren’t. Most sleds are going to have way more track and ski surface than your converted Atv’s.

“*When they tested them, they said they could jump a lot higher before bottoming than a snowmobile.”

Who said that? The majority of newer sleds have at least 8” of suspension travel; most have 10”-12”. How many Atv’s can you say this about?

“*If you find a snowmobile for less than what that snowtrax conversion costs, then you are buying some old POS more than likely. The older snowmobiles weren't built good and had to be fixed more than they could be ridden.”

You can easily find nice low mileage sleds for under $2500 that will give years of service with little more than standard preventive maintenance.

“*Don't want to trip over your snowmobile sitting in the garage in the summer-another reason.”

Good point. Better put a cover on it and park it behind the garage. :-)

“Don't want to spend hours getting your snowmobile ready for the season-another reason, since your quad is ready because you've been riding it in the summer.”

Pre- season maintenance shouldn’t take any longer than installing the Snow Traxx kit.

My Verdict: Atv’s when there’s no or little snow, snowmobiles when there is lots of snow.

Wish: Atv manufacturers would keep up technology wise, with the snowmobile industry.

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric Zeh (edited 01-19-2000).]

Old 01-19-2000, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Seen one a year or two ago,but that was last time I know they thought it was great,but haven'y seen any since,what does that tell you!Snowmobile has windshield and heated grips will give you better ride and I would think that would go more places in the powder.Every thing has it's placeI just don't think it would be real practical at least in this area.Some place where you don't get so much snow maybe great.Snowmobile is 10 ft long,at least long track is(skis and track)track is 15 inches wide.You have alot more surface area on the snow.I was spending that kind of money mine would be on the quad you can buy smaller sled for that amount and get good machine.Alot of people don't put that many miles on them.Friend of mine sold Jag 440 for $1600 this fall it was 94,it was in perfect condition.

------------------
THE FORMER CORNCOB2

Quick Reply: Snow Conversions