Atv death....:(

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Atv death....:(

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's horrible.....

I know this is a tragedy that is no one's fault, but I wish these friggin' manufacturers would lighten these huge utility ATVs a little bit (especially Polaris)...... they keep making them bigger and faster and heavier......

One of the reasons I choose to ride a sport ATV is because I don't want to get crushed by my quad.

Last year I was riding with a buddy who has an Arctic Cat and I came around the corner to find him stuck under his quad totally helpless, and he's a big guy who could easily move a 350-400 or maybe even 500 pound machine off of himself....... but his Cat weighs something like 650lbs and he was totally pinned. He said he was there for almost 5 minutes, if it had been water he'd be dead....

I don't know maybe it's just me since they seem to be in such huge demand.......

Old 08-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: ss97
that's horrible.....I know this is a tragedy that is no one's fault, but I wish these friggin' manufacturers would lighten these huge utility ATVs a little bit (especially Polaris)...... they keep making them bigger and faster and heavier......One of the reasons I choose to ride a sport ATV is because I don't want to get crushed by my quad.Last year I was riding with a buddy who has an Arctic Cat and I came around the corner to find him stuck under his quad totally helpless, and he's a big guy who could easily move a 350-400 or maybe even 500 pound machine off of himself....... but his Cat weighs something like 650lbs and he was totally pinned. He said he was there for almost 5 minutes, if it had been water he'd be dead....I don't know maybe it's just me since they seem to be in such huge demand.......
It's not just you. Sport atv's are heavy as is and it seems no manufacturer even worries about the weight of the utility quads. The weight issue is out of hand and the speed of the utility quads are as well. Just my personal opinion. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Old 08-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Range Rover

Its also horrible to hear of another ATVer die like this.Artic Cat and espessally Polaris really need to light there atvs. This is getting to common with the heavy big bores. If Can-Am can keep there 800 outlander a light 4x4, then Polaris should try.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

worst thing that can happen ever
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

I feel really bad for that family and it must be horrible to loose your father that way. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Also the utility atvs are getting rediculous my friend rolled a bayu 300 and he couldnt get the thing off himself luckley i was riding that day and came upon him or he would have been there for hours. THe atv manufactures need to stop making there utility atvs so big. They should be thinking how to make them lighter and more manuverable but still be able to handle heavy loads. It wouldnt be impossible to do that. But i think that the manufactures think that what people want is bigger and faster and they dont seem to worry about anything else. Also I think some of the utility quads out there like the brute force 750 is way to heavy and tippy for its speed i almost flipped my buddies because the dam thing cant take a turn with any kind of speed luckily i have long legs and was able to keep it from flipping on me.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Wow that is terrible.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Really terrible. I can't imagine being in a situation like that, it's worse case senario when your 750lb Polaris traps you under water.

You can't really blame Polaris though, b/c even if it was a Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha or Honda utility ATV which are 100lbs lighter I'd still be impossible to move 650lb's off of yourself in that situation.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

I salute That Man. Thats what a dad is all about. You go man you earned your wings.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Thats a bummer Fred. did you know these people?
nope. but i feel just as bad.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Some of you guys may be ticked at me for saying this, but don't let compassion get in the way of better judgement.

Based off the original post, it appears this guy was riding double with his son, on a road. We can't blame any manufacturer because of the weight of the machines. Sad but true, the guy was in wrong by disregarding the manufacturers recommended usage.

Don't get me wrong, I am as sorry as anyone that the ATV family has lost another rider (we also lost a couple recently here in MN). But we do need to be responsible and accountable for our actions. As sad as it is, these incidents only fuel the anti's fire.