Street Legal ATV's in Arizona?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Legal ATV's in Arizona?

I am working with a group in Oregon that has finally been sponsored by a congressman to put forth the first "Quadbike" bill that would essentially allow properly equipped ATV's to be street legal except for Interstate Highway use (don't ask). It is already being evaluated by the state legistlative counsel and a rapidly growing petition is underway. But, I had heard that Arizona already acheived this and allows ATV's on roadways. Can anyone tell me how they accomplished this so that we could be better prepared for any potential hurdles?

Old 09-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

not sure but dune buggies are also legal in AZ.....

Old 09-23-2006, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Arizona, Montana, Idaho, South Dakota and maybe another state or two have a system to get atvs legal for the street. here in Montana, we have to have or install an electric horn, rear view mirror, high/low beam headlights, tail/brake light, reflectors on the side toward the front and rear of the atv, and speedometer (i think).

this allows us to license the atv for the streets and roads, but we cannot travel the interstate highways (the DOT and common sense prevent that).

my Brute is licensed for the street. we have to do this to legally travel the forest service roads from campground to trailhead and back. and then we need the off road sticker. it is great fun to putz around town on nice afternoons doing errands or joy riding.

monty

Old 09-24-2006, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

That is really great info. Is there any way you can point me to the stature or link that will get me to the Montana language that allows this. And we also submitted in our bill draft to not allow ATV's on interstates or any roadway that exceeds 55mph. Any help appreciated.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:43 AM
Trailblazer

The whole "No ATV's on roadways" never made much sense to me either (except highways, of course). I mean really, they let bicycles (no impact protection), motorcycles (that go over 100 MPH and no impact protection) and those new "UTV's" (electric golf cart-type vechicles with no doors) on New York roads but not 4 wheelers!!! That's New York for you!!!

Old 09-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

I wholeheartedly agree, which is why we hope for success here in Oregon at the October special session. Anybody that can send me statutory rules or laws that permit this in their state is really really appreciated.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:03 PM
TPR
The Champ

Yeah, when I see GEM cars being used as taxi's downtown to get people to the ball games I think that I could do that with my rhino and pay it off in a couple of months..Why are they allowed on the road?

TPR