YXF450 Ques.. Red Hot Pipes? Why do the owners settle for this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default YXF450 Ques.. Red Hot Pipes? Why do the owners settle for this?

Hondabuster makes a great point, nobody wants to have discolored head pipes on their roadbike. Harleys are no exception here, as these things are installed as much for looks/sound as they are for power. You don't find many chromed 4 stroke pipes for the atv/dirtbike crowd for a reason I think. Stainless is just easier to clean and is much more resistant to corrosion/elements. I guess about the only advice I have left for you is not to buy one of these if you can't get your mind around the glowing header. Even the fuel injected models do it, this is a condition seperate from jetting issues. It is rare to hear of one of these modern 4 strokes burning a piston. Quads have been running this generation motor four years now, the bikes significantly longer and there just isn't an epidemic of engines melting down. One thing you could do is install a bigger radiator and some engine ice or something, but the reality of it is that these quads were designed to run and run fast. Pretty much EVERYTHING about the YFZ works better at speed, not just the cooling system. If you want a tractor/sport quad, buy a 300EX and don't ever upgrade to a modern style thin wall header.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:08 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh OK Scooter. I think I get the drift on these particular engine types.
Only one purpose machine, Go fast , competition racing, etc etc etc...
But if you want a leasure time or plow and stop for a beer the machine is not to be left alone idling.
All go no time to stop and shoot the breeze type machine.
I guess that solves it all in a nut shell.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you are right, if you want a plow puller or want to go slow enough to smell the flowers as you ride buy a utility quad of some sort, they are quiet, the exhuast is hidden away from you so you don't feel it. Although they too do get warm, they don't put out the heat to the rider like the race bike's do.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: yz426ex
Yz 400/426/450 all run hot. It is normal for them to be red. Same with the yfz450. The yz's you cant even let idle for more than 2 minut. My pipe glows "BLUE" on my yz426 motor and im running rich and im lucky if i can run it for 20minuts with out the radiator boiling over and i run a pwr radiator and engine ice[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] My oil goes to crap after 2-3 hours.
The oil needs to be changed very frequently anyways on these type of engines. But it IS NOT normal for these engines to be running hot enough to make the pipes glow. They need air to breath, and a lot of owners who throw pipes on them have their pilot jet to lean.

And you hear about major valve troubles with today's modern high-performance 4-strokes, well if it isn't because of lack of maintnance, the ones usually complaining are woods riders. Why? Because of the slower speeds and mud that acts like insulation burn these things up.

Keep these engines cool and NOT having the pipes glow red, along with fresh oil and clean air filters, and they will last you a good while.