Your favorite riding partner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 03:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite person to ride with is my 19 yr old daughter.She knows the dos and dont's,She isn't afraid to ride the places that i enjoy and best of all she doesent whine.Just like most i ride in some real remote places and i do protect myself.

Old 12-21-2000, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's that again, FKNA? You have a right to shoot someone dead for theft in Texas, when the thief poses no threat?

Is the right to shoot a thief dead taught in the Texas Concealed Carry Course (I presume you are a graduate)?

Can you shoot thieves dead with impunity, even if they are unarmed? If they surrender, give up?

I'm not disputing you; I am, however, surprised if no element of threat is required in Texas to justify use of deadly force. This legal situation must save lots of time and trouble with law enforcement officers; if they observe a theft in progress, they only must merely shoot (dead, preferably) the perpetrator(s); no need to bother with tiresome administrative procedures of arrest, charging, and trial; or, are law enforcement officers held to a higher care than ordinary armed citizens (whom you claim have an unrestricted right to shoot thieves dead)?

Yet, I understand you to say you would not exercise your right to take a human life if another alternative were available. Why not?

Certainly, there's no law against boasting about your weapons, even on an ATV website. Go ahead. Make my day!

Tree Farmer

Old 12-21-2000, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

I carry a S & W 745 in .45ACP. The first two rounds are CCI snake shot, after that are 7 185 grain Remington +P hollow point rounds. The snake shot works very well, I killed a 3+ foot timber rattler this summer. The hollow points are for coyotes, feral dogs, armadillos and two legged snakes.

Old 12-21-2000, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

I usually ride at Clough State Park. They have lots of wooded trails and convenient parking. Also, from there you can access some very extensive power-line trails that are part of the NH snowmobile corridor.

I also ride in the Raymond area. I have a friend who lives in the area and lets me use his driveway to park in to access some other great power-line rides that can take you into Bear Brook S.P. and another State Park who's name escapes me right now. The snow is finally here and that means that all of those snowmobile trails will open up to us ATVers as well.

I am fairly new to riding. I usually ride alone, (ARMED!) and would be willing to share my limited knowledge and maybe acquire a riding partner.

Feel free to EMail me.

Old 12-22-2000, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

You guys are what is known as "real americans" all right. I can understand the threat of a wild bear out in the woods, I have been there! But do you really need to "pack the heat" against other two-legged animals? Scary. Remind me not to get too close to your quad...

Sounds like I will be riding here in "safe territory". If trouble brews I will just point to my riding buddy Zorro and say "he did it"!

Old 12-22-2000, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

My favorite riding partner would have to be a Camel Back in the summer time, we dont really have the threat of wild animals or crazy people, I just need my water!

4 gallons in a day

Old 12-22-2000, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

Xplor,

Did you ever see the movie deliverance with Burt Reynolds? There are some really screwed up people out there in the woods.

Its better to be safe than sorry. We have the bears & a few big cats in our area but they aren't really a threat. Unless they are hurt or have young ones around.

For now I am glad we americans can bear arms in the future that could be different. Our Austrailian & Canadian freinds know about unfreindly gun laws.

Old 12-22-2000, 05:01 AM
Range Rover

.....30-06 here boys. Just messing around. later guys, Kenny

Old 12-22-2000, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

My favorite riding partner is my Wife and as far as protection, hmmmmmmmmm......
Guess it will be the old fashioned way and use my fists! lol!

Old 12-22-2000, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer

Well now... looks like I've stirred up some kind of hsit storm here.

I try to believe- especially at this time of the year- that most people are, for the most part, good. However, I would also like to preface that by saying, as a product of the suburbs and having rarely been exposed to any overt violence, I consider myself to be a little naive.

Perhaps I have been swayed, by the preponderance of liberal media rhetoric. They would have us all believe that we are trapped in a downward spiral leading to entropy and violence unchecked. I don't believe all of what I hear but I have studied enough psychology- specifically social psychology- to know that not all people are good and some don't need a reason to be bad. This is why I own and carry a handgun.

How easy would it be for a group of older teenagers to decide that they either would like to ride your machine (because they have a buddy who doesn't have one or any other reason) or just plain want to steal it. It doesn't take long for the mob mentality to overtake a crowd. Next thing you know you're lying in a pool of blood.

Any number of scenarios could be imagined that would end up with you laying on the ground beaten- not necessarily shot- unconscious and bleeding. It could be hours or days before someone found you. You can sure bet too that it wouldn't be the police. Does this happen every time I ride? NO. Could it? I don't know. Do I want to get caught with my pants down? NO! Isn't it better to be prepared than not.

The unfortunate reality is that these things happen. It happened here. Not exactly the same story but it goes like this: A man and his wife are walking looking at Halloween decorations. The man sees a group of kids smashing pumpkins. He calls to the group to knock it off and grow up. They approach and beat his wife unconscious one pulls a .22 revovler and pistol whips the guy. He staggers to his feet and manages to drag himself to a nearby home where he calls the police. Oops, too late. Not prepared!

Carrying a gun does nothing to my psyche. It doesn't make me violent, I don't wave it at cars that cut me off, it doesn't make my chest get all puffed out. You know what machismo is... machismo is thinking that you are actually big enough to fight or even properly defend yourself from a group of teenagers. Four or five teenagers could likely overcome a full grown man. There are 17yr olds that are 200+ lbs. Is this paranoia or is it preparedness?

It is a fact that if you shoot someone no matter how clean it was, you will spend the night in jail... maybe more than that, but you will be alive. One of the nicest features about guns is that it is not always necessary for a round to be fired, frequently the mere presence of a gun being brandished in self-defense is enough to stop a perpetrator in his/her/their tracks. Oh yes, be prepared to use it if you draw it but even those who are not always good and those who don't need a reason to be bad will know that there may be consequences.

Quick Reply: Your favorite riding partner?