How to Prevent Rust???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Prevent Rust???

How do you guys (and gals) prevent rusting? I was thinking of misting the frame after each ride with WD-40 or something similiar to help prevent rust. The only problem with this idea is that dust and dirt will stick to any petroleum based product.

What do ya think?

Bil
____

Old 03-31-2007, 01:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Your ATV frame should be either painted or powercoated. Either one should be more than enough to protect from rust.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is to park the machine in a heated garage and don't ride it!.....

Sorry, couldn't resist that. I ride my machines on saltwater beach much of the time. First let me say that there are many ways to prevent rust but not many ways of stopping it all together. Rust is the natural decay of steel when exposed to oxygen. (key when exposed to oxygen) You can slow it down but it will still rust eventually. I use WD-40 to hose things down when I am going to store them for a week or so (doesn't happen to often unless I go on a vacation) otherwise I use some of that salt-away washing spray that you use to wash your boat off with and flush the motor after its used in salt water. It can be found at most Marine stores.

I just finished repainting the frames on both machines this last winter. Powder coating is great stuff but when you get a chip in it from a rock the steel underneath rusts and it slowly speads a surface rust that peels the powder coating off in a big sheet.

I repainted my frame by stripping all the plastic and racks off, wire brushed and had sanded the frame and A-arms, coasted everything with a rust neutralizer called Os-Pho (It has phospheric acid in it). Washed the Os-pho off and primed all bare metal with a good primer, then I painted it black again with a good high quality marine enamel ( $80 a quart stuff yikes!).

Both machines are 4 years old and I have well over 5000miles on each most of which is on a saltwater beach, plus they are stored outside covered. So I will see how things go the next 4 years.

Hope this helps

SJ

Old 03-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks SJ...Could you please elaborate on this part "I use WD-40 to hose things down when I am going to store them for a week" ?

Whether it's painted or powdercoated, it still going to rust where there's stone chips, scratches, etc.

What do you think is the best petroleum product is for misting the frame...WD40, Rust Check, ?????

Bil

Old 04-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

Sure can, I have found that by coating the underside of the plastic fenders mud ans debris does not stick as easy and it cleans off easier with a hose or power washer after riding. Plus, I give the shocks and springs, a-arms, and exposed sections of frame a coating as well. You have to be careful not to get it on the exhaust or muffler as it will put off a nasty smell when it heats up and burns off. I also want to STRESS this is all done with a cold engine as WD-40 is flamable.

Since the beaches I ride on here in Alaska are mostly loose gravel, large rocks and a little loose silt the A-arms, CV boot protectors, shocks and springs, and exposed frame (mainly by the foot rests) get rock blasted. Think of it as sand blasting but with pea-gravel. Also, if you are not paying attention and go over an ice chest sized rock it can hit and scrape the undercarriage.

This causes the nicks and dings in the powder coating which expose the steel to air and causes the rust. I suspect that no matter where you ride sticks, gravel and dirt will do this to any machine.

As to what is the best rust preventative? I can not say exactly. I use WD-40 some and the boat wash stuff and things still rusted. It took 4 years but they rusted. Actually I rusted out a muffler in about a year and a half. Went to an after market muffler it lasted 9 months, as I backed into a tree. Went back to stock which is now needing to be replaced along with the exhaust pipe. I do not think there is anything I can do here as I am fighting heat as well.

I think you can delay the onset and progression of rust with good maintenance and cleaning it really good after rides. I do not know of any products that will keep things from rusting if they are exposed to the elements. Heck, even stainless steel will rust if not taken cared for properly.

I use a hot water pressure washer to wash my machines after each ride and I have an injector that use to automatically inject dish soap into the water so this keeps the oil residue from building up.

So other than WD-40 or similar products, and the boat wash stuff I am not know of other products for you. I used the last of my Boat wash stuff in back in September and no longer have the container so I can't give you an exact brand name there. I do know it is called "boat wash" and is designed to be used to wash down your boat and run through your motors cooling system and remove salt deposits when its been used in salt water.

My racks no longer rust as I had them Rhino-coated about a year ago and it has worked great. I do not think you can, nor would I advise anyone to do this to the entire frame though.

SJ

Old 04-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

Awesome reply SJ...Thanks. Guess what I will be doing today???? The side benefit from applying WD40 is it will make the parts look cleaner too!!!

Bil

Old 04-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

My frames red and i never go in mud or watter so i never see a dot of rust. I use wd40 to make it shine up more even on the plastic and it gives it a wet look even when its dry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

I like to use armor-all as well on the top of the seat and plastic. It gives it nice shine and protects from the sun too.

You have to be careful to keep it off the hand grips and not apply too much to the seat as you butt then tends to slide off to one side or another too easy.

It does make it really nice for shifting your weight though and it comes off when it rains or you take it through water.

SJ

Old 04-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Oxygen by itself is no enemy of painted steel. For rust to form you need water and oxygen. So all you need to do is wash machine after every ride. Start up and ride enough to dry out and prevent condensation in motor. Complete all required maintenance, give good coating of WD40, and store in dry garage. I don't believe the garage even needs heating just dry should be enough.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

all the paint is worn off my front a-arms from riding through long grass, Havn't even had the bike for a year yet and they are covered in surface rust...i keep wiping it off and spraying with WD-40 but it comes back in less then a week....bike is stored in the garage but its pretty damp in there from all the frost melting and water is pushing up through the concrete inside [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: How to Prevent Rust???