E85 Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 Fuel

Can you really run this stuff without big motor problems?

I found this while searching:.............................

I was wondering if you could help me with a question. This morning I mistakenly put in E-85 in my 2000 Buick Regal, 8 gallons. The clerk told me to add as much regular fuel as I could, and that was only 4.5 gallons. What are the consequences to the car? Will this ruin the engine?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Heather

. . .

Heather,

Although your vehicle was not manufactured to run on E85, no problems should occur if you inadvertently add a small amount of alternative fuel such as E85. The largest difference between an E85 powered vehicle and a gasoline powered vehicle is that the computer within each vehicle is meant to read different amounts of oxygen within the fuel. E85 contains a higher amount of oxygen than gasoline and E85 compatible vehicles are made to read that higher amount. When a higher amount of oxygen is read by a gasoline powered vehicle, your "check engine light" may come on. However, in our experience with this matter, your vehicle should operate just as it will with gasoline. Actually, there are many people that have contacted the NEVC and said that they have consistently run E85 in their gasoline powered only vehicle and that it runs even BETTER than it does with gasoline. We do not advocate or condone the use of E85 in a gasoline only vehicle, but simply give an account of reports that have been received.

Thank you,
Michelle Saab

Old 04-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E85 Fuel

Originally posted by: squeege
Can you really run this stuff without big motor problems?

I found this while searching:.............................

I was wondering if you could help me with a question. This morning I mistakenly put in E-85 in my 2000 Buick Regal, 8 gallons. The clerk told me to add as much regular fuel as I could, and that was only 4.5 gallons. What are the consequences to the car? Will this ruin the engine?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Heather

. . .

Heather,

Although your vehicle was not manufactured to run on E85, no problems should occur if you inadvertently add a small amount of alternative fuel such as E85. The largest difference between an E85 powered vehicle and a gasoline powered vehicle is that the computer within each vehicle is meant to read different amounts of oxygen within the fuel. E85 contains a higher amount of oxygen than gasoline and E85 compatible vehicles are made to read that higher amount. When a higher amount of oxygen is read by a gasoline powered vehicle, your "check engine light" may come on. However, in our experience with this matter, your vehicle should operate just as it will with gasoline. Actually, there are many people that have contacted the NEVC and said that they have consistently run E85 in their gasoline powered only vehicle and that it runs even BETTER than it does with gasoline. We do not advocate or condone the use of E85 in a gasoline only vehicle, but simply give an account of reports that have been received.

Thank you,
Michelle Saab
There are other problems besides the ECU not knowing how to deal with the ethanol ...... I know the Ford Taurus Flex-fuel vehicles have totally different ECU/ECM computers. But there are some other issues that you might face.

Part of the problem is that ethanol contains a lot more water than gasoline. Most of the fuel delivery systems in a car are made of steel (and not stainless), and the high water content of the ethanol will cause corrosion and rust within the fuel system..

A big problem are the fuel rails on most vehicles. The fuel rails are coated with a chrome type finish on the inside that can break down when exposed to too much water. The coating breaks off and clogs injectors, and everything else it touches....

Flex fuel cars that are designed to run on both use PVC plastics, aluminum and stainless steels, on almost every part of the fuel system to prevent this....

There is also the injectors themselves that are different, and for some reason (though I'm not sure) a lot of the gaskets are different on the flex fuel vehicles.

So yea, it will run in most vehicles, but it might cause problems beyond the computer tripping the "check engine" light, and not being able to correct the mixture.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 Fuel

ss97 did a great job of explaining what can happen.
Another thing that can happen is this. Lets say that car has a 16 gallon tank. That means that person had a 50/50 mix of eth and gas in the tank.
The puter in the car can make adjustments for the O2 /fuel ratio. The system was designed for only gasoline use. Now you have a new fuel in the tank that was not designed to be in there. "IF" the injectors can't keep up with the fuel demand, (getting close to buring twice the fuel with eth) the engine will run lean. If it runs too lean with eth in the tank your going to burn a piston or other bad things.
The CE light will come on more than likely because the O2 sensor is reading a lean condition but the injectors are going full rich. Like I said above, if you get too lean, bad things happen.