I pulled a real bonehead manuever!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2001, 02:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at work letting my machine thaw out in the heated garage. When it was time to go home, I pulled my truck into the garage to load up. Now, I'm one of those sorry cases who doesn't have a trailer so I carry my Rubicon in the back of my '98 short box Ranger. (Does anyone see where this is going?) There were some other cars in the garage so I didn't have much room. I have read all of the info on how to load and not spit the ramps out from under you as you go up. Most people say make sure you carry enough speed.

Now you know where this is going. Yep, right through the back window. The bedliner was icy and I was going to fast. Boy, that safety glass sure makes a mess. To make it worse some of the guys I work with were standing right there. I felt like such a heel!

So now I'm riding around in the fresh snow with a custom cardboard rear window. What fun!!

Old 01-01-2001, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your accident, GreenRuby; glad the damage was no worse than described; plenty of ATV riders (self included) have come close to the predicament you describe; better luck next time!

I think instead of speed, a better way to avoid ramps slipping while loading/unloading your ATV is to fasten mechanically the ramps to the bed or the tailgate with chain, wire, rope, metal slots-and-tabs, pegs-and-holes, whatever. Some commercial ramps are shipped with systems for connecting the ramps to the truck bed; home-made arrangements can be fashioned for do-it-yourself (as in 2 X 10 or 2 X 12 plank) ramps. I've used, variously, "swing chain" and S-hooks, nylon "parachute cord" and screw-eyes, and a length of angle-iron sheet-metal-screwed across the tailgate fitting slots in the ramps, for example, in different situations.

Physically connecting the ramps to the truck while loading and unloading is a good safety practice, permitting gradual entry and exit, insuring correct placement/extraction of your "load," the ATV.

Battening-down ramps is especially useful when the truck is parked "off-camber," not level, and the ramps tend to slide sideways if not fastened; especially critical in slick (for example, rain/mud/snow/ice) situations.

Thanks for sharing a situation we all may learn from; however, if the witnesses are like my own irreverent associates, you'll NEVER live this incident down!

Tree Farmer

Old 01-01-2001, 09:37 AM
Range Rover

On my last truck, I drilled a few 1/2 inch holes in the tailgate, and in the ramps I made. The ramp's top edge sat flat against the tailgate. I would drop a few 1/2" bolts through the ramps and gate to keep the ramps from shooting out. There's a reason for this.
I was once helping my Dad load his BMW K1100LT into the back of his new F250 4x4. (Thats a pretty tall truck.) Once the bike was started on the ramp, I stood on the back of the ramp, "to keep it from shooting out". His bike was almost all the was in the back of the truck, when the tire spun! It shot out the ramp from under me, dropping me to the ground, UNDER the back end of the motorcycle! He was "IN" enough, that the tire screeched a huge burn-out against the edge of the tailgate, and shot into the truck.
I easily could have worn a 700lb.+ bike for a hat that day. I learned quick. A hand drill and 50 cents worth of bolts would have prevented this. It's called "cheap insurance".

Old 01-01-2001, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

Ramps are scary. For the past six months, I've been using some ramps I made from some light gage steel and 2x6's. I was going to load up this weekend, looked at the ice covered ramps, then looked at the 775 pound Sportsman, and went to Tractor supply and got the tri-fold ramps for $129.00. They are a little steeper, because they're a foot shorter, but I feel they are safer.

Dave

Old 01-01-2001, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

I had a problem with the Scrambler wanting to spin the tires going up the ramps and wanting to slide off the ramps completely. I cut some 1/2 inch plywood into strips and glued and drywall screwed them across the 2x10s. Now I get no wheel spin, everything goes right up the ramp with no problem.
Also, I found that setting the parking brake helps, as the truck doesn't want to roll slightly forward and back when it's in Park.

Old 01-01-2001, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

If you are going to carry your ATV in the back of your pickup truck you need a Headache Rack to save your rear window check http://www.ranchhand.com

Old 01-01-2001, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

My dad and I load our ATV with planks(2x10's) or sometimes he will back up to a hill on our lawn and then drive it right up in without planks...

Those headache things are similar to what my dad is buying for his truck, he wants something to sit ladders up on so they wont scratch the cab or smash the window.

Old 01-01-2001, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Man, that brings up a scary memory. While unloading my ATV after hunting this fall, something didn't feel right so I hit the brakes, the front tires were on the ramps while the rear tires were still on the tailgate (I back it in). The truck rocked back & forth & the ramps fell straight down with me & the Cat along for the ride. I sat there balanced on the front tires with the rears straight up in the air wondering if I was going over on my Head!! Luckily, My Dad & Brother were close by, they ran over & pushed the rear rack down to get the rear tires back on the tailgate.

Now I always use my straps to hook the ramps to my bumper & I also set the parking brake to keep the truck from moving around.

This is a serious concern & serious injury can happen in an instant. I'm thankful all you lost was a rear window & a little embarressment from your friends, but I'll bet you think about it everytime you load & unload now. Be Careful.

Lance

Old 01-02-2001, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

THANKS GUYS!
Thanks to all of you who have scary ramp stories. Here's my point. I have since 1 week a Ranger 4x4 with 6' bed. Obviously, I'll use it to transport my shee. I was hesitating between getting fixed ramps and ride right into the bed of the truck, or find another way to load the quad. I found the other way. I don't want to go blasting through the rear window.
So, if you have a shee, you can use this inexpensive stratagem to load your atv in the bed. I'll attach a mechanical winch (whatever winch will be enough) to a fence tube (1" diam. I think). I noticed that once you take off the plastic caps on the front bumper, this tube fits right in. So there I have a removable wich to load/unload my shee with NO POSSIBILITY to hurt myself or the quad.

So everyone who went with their ramp crash story, thanks, maybe you saved a rear window and some bones. thanks again.

Old 01-02-2001, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

oops, triple post!!

Quick Reply: I pulled a real bonehead manuever!