mean people!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 11:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone ever got mad at you for ridding your atv? do they call the cops? thats what they do to me and it gets annoying. even if your respectful they still yell at me. some guy did this to me while standing in front of my atv, with me on it, while it was running, i got verry mad, but i have self control(wink,wink) let me know if anybody has done this to you

Old 01-10-2001, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

redrancher350,

people that do that are just pissed that they don't have an atv, they may be a hardcore al gore symathizer, or you just scared the bird off they that they drove 2000 miles to see. screw 'em and ride on.

texascat.

Old 01-10-2001, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

When confronted by a person who wants to yell at you, or even just talk to you, stop your engine and take off your helmet. Its polite and shows respect -- sort of like taking your hat off when someone answers the door (a long standing country tradition). It also makes you more of a "person" and less of a "machine" -- helps a lot in reducing an initial negative perception.

Old 01-10-2001, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Fact of life, redrancher350, the "mean" man doesn't see YOU, I'm sure YOU are a considerate, sensible, ecologically-friendly and safe ATVer.

No.

The irate confronter sees, instead of good-guy redrancher350, every intruding, abusive, annoying, flower bed-trashing, noise-polluting, trespassing, rut-cutting, garbage-littering, drunken, unsafe ATVer he's ever met! To the "mean" man, that's who you represent!

In other words, the angry man objectifies (you are not a person) and stereotypes (you are every bad behaviorial ATVer model) you.

You are blamed for the misbehavior of others, if not yourself. ATVers do not wear jersies, like football teams, identifying responsible ATVers from irresponsible ones.

How can you humanize yourself? How can you convince your adversary you are none of the things he suspects of you; instead, you are kind, considerate, etc., etc.?

Chances are, you can't. You wear the uniform, you must be a member of the enemy camp. Best approach; humbly and respectfully, get out of Dodge without further provocation, other than your mere presence; a provocation within itself in the mind of the "mean" man.

Diogenes

Old 01-10-2001, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

Diogenes:
Good one, right on the money. My buddy and I got "yelled at" the other day while out coyote hunting. We saw a grand total of ONE sign that read FEEL FREE TO HUNT AND FISH, PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY. Now, do you see anything that says "no atv's", or reads otherwise that we shouldn't be in there?

Anyway, we proceed onward, about 12 miles or so into this place, sticking to the roads, or well travelled trails, being careful not to tear things up. We notice a pair of coyotes up on a ridge a ways away, so we head over towards them-still sticking to the trails, obeying the rules. As we round the bend, there sits a farmer who immediately jumps out of the truck, yelling "hey, what the hell are you doing on my property?". We pull over, turn the 'Cats off, and take our helmets off, then approach him closer, so we don't have to yell back and forth.

This guy basically yells and screams at us that atvs are not allowed, didn't we see the sign? I said no, the one and only sign we saw read feel free to hunt and fish, please respect the property. He basically called me a liar, jumped up in my face and yelled some more. I tried to be as polite as possible, insisting that the only sign we had seen was the one previously mentioned. Again, he directly called me a liar, said I was criminally trespassing, etc. So, as he stepped up in my face, tried to get tough with me, I graciously offerred to drag his pathetic washed up *** right back to the one and only sign I had seen. At this point, he immediately backed down (knowing full well I was right) and apologized for his behavior.

He then proceeded to tell us that a group of guys on motorcycles was out climbing the hills and tearing up his property, doing a bunch of damage all over the place, as well as chasing his cows who were beginning to calve.

My point? You are exactly right that the "mean man" or "farmer" in this case looks at any of us on motorized vehicles as those "intruding, abusive, annoying, flower bed-trashing, noise-polluting, trespassing, rut-cutting, garbage-littering, drunken, and might I add cow chasing-unsafe ATVer he's ever met!"

In this case, I think the fact that we actually tried to speak with him man to man about the instance, while it didn't go over as well as to be expected, I think it may have helped a little more than just riding off into the distance. At the same time, when push comes to shove, I'll be damned if I'm going to back down. I think it was Aaron Tippin who said it best -"You've got to stand for something..."

Best of luck with the "mean man" in your area, a little respect goes a long way.

Mike

Old 01-10-2001, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Nice going, cowboy; you made the best of a bad situation.

I've been called a liar also, and accused of mischief and vandalism in which I had no knowledge or part.

Yet, sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor; backing down is o.k. sometimes in a nonsensical situation, a lot better than being tried for assault or buried.

Diogenes

Old 01-10-2001, 04:30 PM
Range Rover

I have met some nice and some mean people while riding. The only reason one guy was nice was cause he once had a Yamaha 125. On the other hand some are mean as heck. My neighbor called the cops on us twice cause she said my old LT80 was loud. She came outside and yelled at my mom. My mom told her to go inside. then she told me and my firends she is going to call the cops cause we were riding in my backyard. I have tried and tried to cope with these people by getting a stock head pipe and packing my silencer so I cant stuff anymore in. Another neighbor told me to move the trail over near someone else so I wont bother him. Some people are okay but some can be toal a**es

Old 01-10-2001, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Similar thing happened to me....a farmer near me hates people driving on his property, so now in the winter his kids drive on our property with snowmobiles...without asking us.

I'm going to start riding on his property...**** on him!!

Old 01-10-2001, 04:45 PM
Range Rover

i just would like to tell you a little story everyone.when i got my very first atv(recon)i drove it a little bit one night. then when i went to drive it the next day at a vacant lot by my house(i hade permisoin by the owner)some guy came barrelling down the road in a jeep got out and yelled at me while pionting his finger in my face.
saying i cant ride here, or he will call the cops.
then he said ive seen you before young man. well he actuly seen my freind on his atv before, but not me.

well to make the long story short sometimes people do judge us by what we ride. and just so you know i dont litter, drink, damage, or destroy property with my atv and even if someone yells at me i try to be pollite by saying yes sir, no sir and stuff like that.

Old 01-14-2001, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, take your helmet off and be nice. If that don't do it beat the hell out of them with the helmet! I haven't had anyone stick their finger in my face and it better not happen! Once while a bunch of us were riding down the side of the road and minding our own business, this old feller and his woman pulled up beside me on my r hollering something. I could see they weren't the rational type so I just kept revving up my machine when he tried to yell over the sound, therefore causing no conflict. I pay taxes same as that butthead and don't feel I have to explain my presence or opinions to him.

Quick Reply: mean people!!!!!!!!