ATV PLOWING

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV PLOWING

I plow with an American Eagle County plow. No problems with the shoes or the cutting blade. They are replaceable parts and thus meant to wear down. The rate of wear is another thing all together. I plow both hottop and gravel. With the shoes set just right there is reasonably even wear on the the cutting blade. It is important to check the forward pitch of the blade. Mine is adjustable. If it is tipped too far forward you will be hard surface scraping and that will cause premature wear. Most of the plows I have seen are designed the same. You may be able to get the replaceable cutting bars from other manufacturers. The Eagle plow I have allows the cutting blade to be flipped upside down so that when one edge is worn the other can be used before having to replace the bar.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV PLOWING

I just started using a Swisher 50" last year and no problems yet. Does snow, gravel and dirt.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer
Default ATV PLOWING

Look into Moose Plows. I am sitting here looking at the catalog now. The 50 inch is 159.95, the univeral frame is 178.95 and the mount is 59.95, so your looking at : 398.95 + tax and shipping. Arctic cat makes a great looking and to me looks like a real dependable plow also. Its made of heavy duty polycarbonate and has a steel frame, runs 199.95 plus the push frame. Im looking into something, Just have to see if I can find a univeral push frame for it.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV PLOWING

We have a Moose 60" Country Plow, and have used it for two years plowing half the driveways and all the sidewalks on our block, along with a two mile long paved hiking trail. The pitch of the blade is adjustable, and the height of the blades wear bar edge can be changed relative to the ground by the adjustable plow feet. I have it adjusted so that the bottom of the blades wear bar is just barely touching the pavement. And I just looked it over because I was curious, and there is no wear at all that I can see on the wear bar, or on the plow feet, which are the only two parts that touch the ground. It is a big heavy plow, but it seems to be real durable. I'm guessing that 10 years worth of use will be no stretch for this plow.

DV

Old 02-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV PLOWING

I have a Kimpex Click'N'Go but haven't adjusted the shoes because the drive I plow has rocks and I don't want to pick them up also the pavement has quite a few ruts and things sticking up that would just slow me down.

I would go to a welding shop and get them to make you a cutting edge(wear bar?) then at least you can see if its the quality of the steel or just a setup problem.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV PLOWING

Ok I hooked up one of our Plow blades that we use when we plow the streets at work. Makes the plow much Heavier, and my lifter is straining to lift it, but it still does the job. I also notice that the plow seems Much more stronger when going over uneven sidewalk slabs. I plow about a Mile of Side walk all together. I have use the plow with the new scraper blade/ wear bar/ or what ever you want to call it. and I just love it. I guess the original scraping blade was a piece of junk. Thanks for all the advice guys. have fun out there plowing.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV PLOWING

FWIW, the bits on the Moose blades are reversible too. However.......I really like the sound of using a real grader bit. I'll be talking to the county roads dept soon. From my experience though(have both Cycle Country and Moose), its the skids that wear out first. I go through several sets each year and mine are HD homemade ones that are much better built than the factory ones.......

Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV PLOWING

Moose plows! They're built tough!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV PLOWING

I like my 60" Moose Country too, but they are "not" indistructable. I am on my second set of push tubes, and this time I reinforced them before I installed them. If you check the welds, they do not go all the way around the tubes, only on 2 sides. The other issue is that thay have no trianglulation. Because of this, if you use them long enough, they will shear apart front to back and you will have 2 bent push tubes. I welded steel plate between the tubes; one towards the front and the other in the rear. Its much easier to fix them before they break. Just welding up the other 2 sides would help and may be enough. FWIW.......

Old 02-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Range Rover
Default ATV PLOWING

i have a 60 in county moose plow and it has been great i plow every storm at my house and for the other neighbors and i havent had one problem yet my dad also had one for his polaris and nothing went wrong with his we had it for 5 years and nothing went wrong

Quick Reply: ATV PLOWING