ATV PLOWING

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV PLOWING

Ok I have a 07 KAW Brute Force 750. I use a 48 inch Cycle County plow. Now I have really had no problems with the plow yet, but the Blade is All worn down to the point where Im ridding on the Skid plates. I have only plowed about 6x or 7x with the plow and I dont think it should be wearing down this fast.. Does anyone else have this problem? Is this common? When I plow I usually plow about 5 drive ways on my small street, and the sidewalks. Does anyone know of a Good plow blade to get? I was told that the Cycle county were one of the best, but with my experience so far, im NOT happy.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV PLOWING

I would not think so. Have plowed 2 years with mine and is still fine. Are the skids adjustable? Does it have a wear bar on it? Can you flip the wear bar? Thet should be out of hardened steel and not wear nowhere near that fast.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV PLOWING

Yes the Skids are adjustable, I just adjusted them, and they are ok for Now, but only after plowing a half dozen times I dont think the wear bar should be this worn down.. No the wear bar cant be Fliped, I guess the company wants us to spend the $ and get new wear bars instead of fliping them. But I agree I also thought they were made out of hardened carbon steal, an NOT susposed to wear that fast, O well thanks for the input.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV PLOWING

Are your wear bars UHMV plastic?? Doubt it but just asking.Was just on their page checking. Is there even a wear bar on it? Could try contacting them and seeing how well they stand behind it.

http://cyclecountry.com/support/default.asp

Old 01-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV PLOWING

No Its metal. Yes theres a wear bar on it.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATV PLOWING

Dunno I've been plowing all winter with a cheap Tusk City Slicker 50" plow from Rocky Mountain ATV....

I did a lot of shopping and this was the cheapest plow I could find ($319 for entire assembly) and the thing works perfect and still looks brand new. I try to be nice to and and no ram the heck out of stuff but other than that you cannot be too nice to a plow........

But you are saying the blade is worn already? The wear bar is worn? Not sure what you mean by it is riding on the skids... you mean the "flow feet" that keep the blade off the ground?

My blade does not even touch the ground really... I leave a good 1/4-to-1/2 inch of clearance so I don't plow my grass up when I'm pushing the snow banks back.

Your plow should ride on the "feet" and not the blade at all. You should leave at least a quarters thickness clearance to protect the surface you are plowing. No need really to scrape the ground flush most of the time.....

Old 01-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV PLOWING

Thanks for the reply Pro. And yes I was talking about the Wear Bar. In my opinion the Wear bar wore Down Too fast, and I am just not happy with the quality of it. My brother has a Warn plow with the Warn wear blade/bar, what ever you want to call it. He has been plowing with his for 2 yrs now and Mine is worn down more than his, with only plowing 6x. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem with the Cycle Country" wear bars. And Yes Skids/Flow feet/ plow Shoes/ what ever you want to call them are draggin when I plow. I had to adjust them, went out plowing today and after about 20mins of plowing, I pulled in my garage to inspect the plow, and could see that the skids are about to be riding on the ground agian.

Now Im NOT new to plowing, infact I plow for the highway dept in NY. And the Only reason the plow skids/shoes/ Flow feet or what ever you want to call them Should ride on the ground is to Protect your PLOW Blade. The Wear bar/blade should FLUSH on the ground at all times plowing. I was taught to keep the Skids/shoes/feet/ at least a 1/4 inch below the plow Blade This way when the Wear Bar does wear down The Shoes/skids Keep you from scraping up your Plow Blade, Which should NEVER be touching the ground when plowing. I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV PLOWING

I use a ATV with a plow at work at a school. I had the same problem of wearing out the wear bars and shoes. Did not take long. What I did works great.... A friend of mine, also like you, plows for the county on a grader. He cut me the old blades at 60 inches. I used a torch to blow holes in the same places as the wear bar. Got longer bolts to attach it to the plow and took off the wear shoes. I have been using the same blade for the last 2 years with hardly no wear. Plus the grader blade has weight to it ... it sits on the ground with better force. I plow 2 large parking lots plus 1 mile of sidewalk. I also put a grader blade on my personal machine and its the best. Give it a try it sounds like you have access to the blades !

Old 01-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV PLOWING

Thanks Cat... I do have access to the blades, but will have to find a friend with tools to do the job. I've actually thought about putting one of our wear blades on the plow, but I though that with the weight alone, it would damage the plow. I only have a 48in plow and for the wear blade alone if I use our highway ones, that an easy 60lbs. But you answered my question and since its working for you for the past 2 yrs.. thats all I needed to know. Thanks agian Catpak for Just the info I needed.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV PLOWING

Your Welcome..That would be the kind of anwser I would be looking for also.

Quick Reply: ATV PLOWING