Need to buy a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to buy a helmet

Looking to buy a helmet for ATV. Interested in hearing opinions on most comfortable, reasonably priced choices?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

i always go on the internet to sites like rockmountainatv.com and look what they have on sale. like this fox v3 striper helmet. just because it is last year model they cut the price in like half. its only 160 and its a very good helmet. this time last year it whould have cost 300 most likly and on top of that there are meny codes for $20 off 150 over more so it whould only cost 140.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

I prefer to actually stick my head in them to see what feels best so I go to a place that carries different brands. Last time I wound up with a HJC because that is the most comftorable one they had.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Fit is important but so is safety. I always look for Snell and DOT approved and I like the feature of having a washable inner linning so you can easily wash the sweat and dirt out. Then cost.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the Thor Quadrant if you want something nice, DOT and SNELL approved, that does not cost a fortune. SNELL is the most important because they actually do independent testing whereas DOT just take the manufacturer's word in it.

I've had HJC, Shoei and Arai over the years and they are all good.... some are more expensive than others but anything Snell approved is going to keep your head safe.

The Thor Quadrant is a great buy at under $200 bucks. But HJC also has a couple in the $150 range that are nice too.....

Old 03-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought an HCJ CLX-5 Sapien from bikebandit for $72 plus $7.95 for shipping.. this is Last-years Helmet that sold for $150!! great helmet with removable liner so you can clean it! What a concept huh?

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/3014

Great Deal! I finally (I know here come the flames...) replaced my HJC helmet that was AT LEAST 10 years old.. Doh!

Old 04-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go DOT/Snell approved and if you can, go to a few dealers and try them out. I have had a few helmets over the years, and HJC always seem to fit my dome well and offer good quality for the cost. Actually, I don't even own an HJC right now, that is just what I have experienced over the years.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

I just picked up a new helmet (my old one got a little smashed up last spring, but it saved my head!) from www.bellhelmets.com, they have their SC-X series on sale for $100 right now...cant beat that price. They are very comfortable, and they definitely stand up to some abuse (like I said, mine saved my life last spring).

BUT...you cant buy one without first trying them on to see which one fits correctly, so head to a local shop to test-fit the sizes, and then order online to save a few bucks.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

If money is a concern then check out denniskirk.com closeouts.......just ordered a new Z1R helmet for $ 41.95 shipped.....and it is both snell and dot rated.......have found you can find quality helmets at a very good price.....ordered 2 new ones last fall one HJC and one Thor for about $40 each again both dot and snell rated.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Great article in this months QUAD magazine. Pick up a copy and read before buying. Will shock you what some companies pawn-off as good helmets. Always buy high quailty, Snell approved. DOT approved is the lowest level testing. I have always gone with Bell, whether snowmobiling or atv.

Quick Reply: Need to buy a helmet