rancher 350es 2wd battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rancher 350es 2wd battery drain

slow drain on new battery--pull starts ok and when charged--any clues--may have been going on longer than realized--------any help---thinking of installing battery isolater switch if can't locate problem--need help

Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not that good when it come's to the electrical system on atv's or automobile's either , but i do know how to check to see if there's a short that's causing a drain on the battery ! ; take one of the battery cables loose from the battery terminal's .

Then touch the cable end to the battery terminal , if there's a short you will hear and in most cases see a spark when you touch the battery post ; but first make sure everything is turned off even the run swith on the left handle bar could cause a short !

It could be anything from the battery terminal's to the ignition switch , i would need the wiring schematic's to trace down the short ; however if the charging system is putting back enough power to keep the battery from going dead while it's running you could remove one of the battery terminal's when you're done riding !

At least untill someone pop's in with more info on how to trace down your problem , i wish i could do more ; but like i stated above you will need the schematic's to go through the system !.....

Old 03-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks--if i can't find thr problem i will install a battery isolater switch to delete the drain problem

Old 03-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The battery could have a weak or dead cell causing it to drain down on it's own , i would put it on a so trickle charge over night ; use a battery charger with a low amp rating of no more than 2 amps i use a motorcycle/atv/lawn mower charger anything more than a 2 amp charge will be to much for this small battery !

Some automotive battery chargers will work i have one that goes from 2 amp 10 amp to 50 amp start with a switch for 6 volt/ 12 volt ; it's made by Schumacher cost was $29.99 at Sams Club ; but you can get one now for under $20.00 !

The same Brand Name Schumacher AUTOMATIC 10/2 AMP for 6 and 12 volt Batteriers for under $20.00 , the one i bought from Sams Club was more because it had the 50 AMP Start feature ; and that was over 15 yrs. ago they're probally cheaper now !

After charging the battery take it to Auto Zone , Advance or O'Reillys Auto Parts Store and have them check it ou for you ; they have the test equipment ; and they will let you know if it's bad free of charge !

I should've mentioned this first , i just asummed you had already checked the battery ; because that's the first thing other members of the fourms that know about the electrical system's alway's say to check first !

But do the thing i told you about unhooking the cable from the battery first , because if there's a spark when you touch the cable back to the battery terminal it will spark if there's a drain on the battery ; when you're sure everything is turned off !

You don't need any kind of test equipment to check for a short or slow drain on the battery doing this test , that's why i mentioned it first and good luck i hope it's nothing more than the battery !......