What SUPPLIES 2 take on a trail ride ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 11:09 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I REALLY luv this site . I am also glad everyone uses it respectively , no machine bashing & so on . OK . I am a female rider . I have a MoJave 250 , 1988 . I am also in a ATV club . We did a trail ride this past week . In deep woods , we did 30 some miles . WHAHO . I have no racks on my MoJave . I have saddlebags for small crap only . So we were riding & my buddy pulls up next 2 me & shouts " ur drive chain popped off ". I think , o jezz , I have no tools w/ me & we r in the woods .I am the only 4x2 on this ride [ mind u this is PA in the winter , we r in 6-8 inches of sno ]& I could kinda tell w/ the other riders w/ "big as#" atv's , were getting a little annoyed by me . I got stuck a time or 2 , a bit slo on sno uphill . The guys were kool , but I could "sense it" . Anyway ,one rider had a monkey wrench & a screwdriver in his storgae box , he fixed it & showed me how 2. It had 2 much slack . I thanked him w/ my life . After that I gave most of them a break , me & another rider , who is not a "speed demon" , did a trail on our own , a " sunday drive " so 2 speak . I luv jumps & speed 2 , but that day was not working 2 my benefit .I had a great time still. Give me the famous PA coal piles on a summer day & o , "it's jump city" . So my question , WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT 2 TAKE ON A RIDE ? [ besides hot dogs & beer =;~) ] WHAT EMERGENCY SUPPLIES ? & WHAT IF U HAVE STORAGE BOXES OR NOT ? Some riders had a tire patch kit , a tire air pump that runs off a cigg. lighter , monkey wrench etc. What about me, w/ no racks ? [ I guess the BEST thing 2 bring is a winch ,thats the "catch all" tool ] =;~) , RIDE HARD & RIDE SAFE ..............

Old 01-19-2001, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Here are some of the things that I carry with me, depending on the length of the trip and how far I will be venturing from my truck. I used to carry an air compressor, but found that a can of fix a flat is a better choice. Anyway, here's the rest of the list. basic tools, wrench, screw drivers, etc. A rag, oil, spark plug, rope, first aid kit, cell phone, jacket, toilet paper (never know when you gotta crap in the woods)

Old 01-19-2001, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Mojave88
If you really would like to be prepared on the trail it might be worth it to get 6 pack rack and a small tool box. There not too big and won`t get in the way. This can also be easily removed easily when not needed.

On the rides I do typically 30 to 40 mile loops and a long way from the trucks. The following items are nice to have. Can of fix-a-flat to inflate tires, a plug kit to plug the hole, a spark plug, a master link, multi head screw driver, an adjustable wrench, a tow rope, a roll of duct tape and of coarse lunch with oreo`s for dessert. This may seem like a lot but it`s fairly small stuff and it`s nice to be prepared. If you get some foam packing material or something similar it helps keep things from bouncing and rattling. Extra gloves and jackets will work also. HTH

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250
See my pic`s at http://www.picturetrail.com/riskracing

Old 01-19-2001, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Everything the other guys said and a curling iron.LOL.

I'm sorry I had to say that.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 01-23-2001, 12:25 AM
Range Rover

Thankx guys 4 the imput . Here is what I decided 2 thro in my saddle bags ; cell phone , water , utility knife , a can a fix a flat , a dispose-able camera [ that home page is coming eventually ] , pad lock & key [ my ride has no ignition switch , so if I have 2 leave her , she'll still b there later-on ] & I should try 2 fit in a wrench a screwdriver. Again thankx . =;~)

Old 01-23-2001, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

Most people do't realize this, but a bicycle pump (especially a high-volume version) works just fine to add, or even inflate your ATV tires. The one that I got from Wal-Mart has served me fine. Although I have a rack to strap it to, a smaller one may work well, and beats carrying one that needs an electrical plug.....

Old 01-23-2001, 02:45 PM
Range Rover

Where in Scranton are you from? I am from Carbondale. I think that was the first time since being here, I heard someone else talk about the PA coal piles. Here are some things that I carry along with me: pump, plugs, first aid kit, cellphone, cooler, tow ropes, and some tools.

Old 01-23-2001, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

Your quad should have a little tool bag for small jobs like tightening the chain.The Fix is nice to have because it fix and blow up the tire in one shoot.It sounds like you do not ride alone so just throw you cooler and ice on some big dumb utility quad bringing up the rear,they do it to me all the time and call me the "mule".

Old 01-23-2001, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Char, you might want to consider getting a small back pac to put some of your trail things in, I used to a backpac on my atc when i went out and it worked very well for me.

Old 01-23-2001, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer

There is a tire kit that has a cylindercompressor combo for flats, and you should always have a screwdriver and a wrench. My hubby and I ride a 400ex and 300ex, no racks, but we both have out-n-back racks. Also, robh, how did you make that link for photo? I can't figure that out.
Could you email me with the information? lilred300ex@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: What SUPPLIES 2 take on a trail ride ?