Scott Kalitta's death

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scott Kalitta's death

A great racer is dead.
From the looks of the tape, it looks like the engine blew and knocked him out and he never hit the brakes and went into the wall at a good clip.
My question to you racers is this. It does not matter if you race cars or quads or motorcycles or whatever:

#1 **** on it, if I die, I die doing what I love doing I'm going to keep on doing it.

#2 It concerns me a little bit, I may pull my belts on a bit tighter when I race.

#3 It wories me quite a bit, I may or may not give up the sport.

#4 Screw this, I'm giving the whole deal up and selling everything.

Which catagory do you fit in and why?
I was #1 a few years ago, but now I'm in #2. Hope it never goes to #4. What about you? Tell my your thoughts.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

A tragedy. Sad to hear it.
I'm not a racer but, we all get a little careless and when on the 450 it's hard not to do some crazy things. I think the majority will start at #1 when were young but, now I have a family to care for I am definitely at #2. I've had nothing happen (Thank god) to me, my family, or friends that would move me to #3.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of like Koopa said, I think the majority of people will answer differently depending on their age.

I've always been #1 up until 2 years ago when I had my daughter, I don't want to leave a family behind so I'm a little more cautious, so I'd answer #2 these days.

My best friend passed away in a ATV accident a few years ago as well, and I thought about hanging it all up for a while. Not that I was afraid of getting hurt, I just couldn't focus and that would get me hurt. After a little while I know my friend would not be happy if I gave up what I love (racing) over what happened to him. I'm sure Scott Kalitta feels the same way.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer

I'm a #2. You can't give up living because you're afraid of dieing.

Recognize the risk, take precautions, and if you die having fun rather than in a nursing home or hospital all alone, consider yourself lucky.

You have to admit there is no cooler way to die. A 300mph funny car flame ball explosion after he won the match...hell yeah!

Godspeed, Scott.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

I have several reasons for not concerning myself with that.

First, I spent most of my adult life in the military, specifically in places where death may come instantly and without warning. I broke my back jumping out of planes and never slowed down getting on the jump manifest.

I was good friends with a dude when I was in 3rd Ranger at Benning that did all the things associated with that unit- airborne, demo, direct and indirect fire, etc. He never got hurt. He lives today in a wheelchair from crossing a street, where a drunk driver ran him over.

Don't need speed to get hurt.

Secondly, I am a cripple now too. Although I can at least limp but I'll be in a wheelchair in my 40's due to injury.

I raced Motocross. Shattered my knee, ankle, back, among other pleasantries. Spent two years in and out of hospitals, had to learn to walk again. I have a never ending supply of strait morphine for the pain I feel every minute of every day (the price of keeping my right leg, had it been amputated I'd feel much better).

The day I trusted my legs to hold up a motorcycle I bought a crotch rocket. Braces on both my knees to do it- but I was back on two wheels. Little wonder I ended up divorced though. I rode for a year with braces on my legs before I could give up just one.

Live, dude. Cause this is the only life you get and living it in fear just won't be much fun. My brother is the opposite of me.....born to me mild I always say of him.

His body is not a broken as mine- but I have truly lived. He just trudges through his existence. I couldn't do it. I'll suffer pain for my mistakes, but I'd rather make those mistakes than never have tried.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just want to say thanks sollylama for making the sacrifices you made so I could enjoy life as I know it! Words just aren't enough to express the gratitude I have for all our military heroes out there......and I agree, you have to live like there is no tomorrow (but plan for tomorrow) and enjoy the one life you have, cuz you never know when that last day will come!

Old 06-28-2008, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

i'm a #2. every racer knows the risks involved. when something like this happens i always check all my safety gear alittle harder. then start looking at new technology to see if i can find something better. i just hope something good will come out of it. like when Dale Earnhardt died Nascar has invested heavy in saftey. i hope NHRA and IHRA will make the investment like Nascar did. maybe something like this can be prevented or survivable in the future.