Ethanol E-10 run in ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanol E-10 run in ATVs

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with the effects of using Ethanol E-10 in ATVs? It's now standard in all gas stations throughout my area of upstate NY as of this summer. I've heard pretty much all bad news for use in ATVs and small engines alike. Pretty much how it destroys plastic and rubber fuel line and carburetor components. I've heard of trying to use Marvel Mystery Oil added to the fuel to help lubricate the fuel line components but not sure who has tried this and if it helps. Also when I tried to Google "E-10 in small engines" Believe it or not, the first hit came up with my local newspaper with an article/interview of a local ATV and lawn&garden dealer, go figure. Anyways the owner's recommendation was just to run premium gas. But I guess my final question is, do any of you 4x4ers run premium? Last I remember my manual for my Kodiak said to use 87 octane. Would premium (91 or 93 octane) have any negative effects? Thanks, Sal

Oh and if you want to hear the Ethanol folks opinion, look no further than Ethanol.org. Here is was they have to say, "yes, it's safe" Hmm . . . sure of-course you would say that

From the horse's mouth - Ethanol.org:
E10 is safe to use in small engines such as motorcycles, lawn mowers, trimmers, boats, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, ATVs, and many others. Manufacturers understand that a considerable portion of the gasoline sold in this country contains ethanol and ensure that their products are compatible with oxygenated fuel.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

You are correct. Unleaded gasoline has a certain amount of ethanol added - usually 10%. My understanding is that that is standard across the different grades.

Midgrade and Premuim would not have any "negative" effects. Octane rating has to do with the detonation temperature of the gas. The higher the rating, the more resistant the gas is the autoignition. Probably won't benefit the Kodiak either.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>E10 is safe to use in small engines such as motorcycles, lawn mowers, trimmers, boats, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, ATVs, and many others. Manufacturers understand that a considerable portion of the gasoline sold in this country contains ethanol and ensure that their products are compatible with oxygenated fuel. </end quote></div>
I would pretty much agree with that statement.

We in Kalifornia have had O2 fuels for over 20 years. Either MTBE or alky added to the fuel. When this stuff first came out there was a lot of car and engine fires. The fuel line would get hard and break and instant Car-B-Q. With the advent of fuel injection, the hoses are much better. Even the carb hoses hold up pretty good now. Not perfect, but very good.

All that being said, if I could find 100% gas or o2 fuel what would I buy? The 100% gas for sure. With 100% gas I can pick up a mile or two mileage. Adding O2 to fuel is like wipping air into ice cream. You don't get as much of the good stuff.

O2 fuel has less BTU's but you can get more power out of it.

Would I freak out if I could not get 100% gas? Not at all; we haven't has the good stuff where I live for over 20 years so that will never happen again and I don't worry about it.

I also hear this garbage about fuel only lasting a month or two in the tank. I don't know what they put in fuel in other parts of the country but around here that is pure Bovine Feces. I have equipment that has gas in the tank for over a year. Hit the starter and it runs fine. I use to mess around the Stabil and all of that stuff. I don't anymore because I have had no problem for years and years.

All in all just buy the 87, O2 fuel and go have fun. Once in a while you might squeeze the fuel line to see if they are getting hard. If so, change them out. Done deal, go have more fun!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 03:17 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always run E10 in all my ATVs and never had a problem with it. Methanol will rot rubber and plastic but ethanol is okay. 10% ethanol doesn't hurt 4-strokes but I heard years ago that in pre-mix 2-strokes if you get any moisture in it, the water mixes with the alcohol and separates from the gasoline and oil. Something like that, and somehow that's supposed to keep the engine from getting any oil as it burns off the water and alcohol. It may be just a rumor.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the good info. Kind of what I had in mind but it thought i would post and to see what comes back. thanks again.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:50 PM
TIC
Pro Rider

been running e 10 in all our stuff for years, Both ATV'S have had it since new 2002. living where I Do in Kansas. some stations have no other choice.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

If it won't hurt anything in cars, it won't hurt anything in atv's. They run the same way, and are made of the same materials.

The theory jumbofrank mentioned makes sense, but i've never had a problem using it in my 2 stroke dirt bikes. Never had an engine failure of any kind actually, knock on wood.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Range Rover

I Called polaris Industries, and talked with a tech and he said no more than 10% E10 is fine but no more.

This was pertaining to the 08 sportmans we have.
I just found out the couple of Local Shell stations hear have a Special pump that uses none E10, Gas. so look around at your local stations and see if you have the same.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:17 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

REAL GAS!!! No alcohol??? Wow.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Bullwinkle358

If it won't hurt anything in cars, it won't hurt anything in atv's. They run the same way, and are made of the same materials.

The theory jumbofrank mentioned makes sense, but i've never had a problem using it in my 2 stroke dirt bikes. Never had an engine failure of any kind actually, knock on wood.</end quote></div>

This is not entirely true.....

Ethanol while safe for combustion, does have a higher amount of water in it and thus is not great for steel automotive fuel delivery systems....it can cause premature rust in fuel pumps and steel lines, as well as fuel rails......

This is why flex-fuel vehicles have stainless steel or plastic fuel lines and fuel rails. The Ethanol sitting in those steel components can eat them up from the inside out and make a mess of the fuel delivery system........ I've seen fuel rails break down and litter the system with chrome coating in the injectors and such........

Ethanol is also not usually available in the higher octanes so if you have higher compression like in a sport machine you really cannot run it.......