Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foot injuries and Riding boots

hey all,

8 out of 10 times I ride, I use
tractor supply brand waterproof work boots, no steel toe,
but the boot is so tough you wouldnt know.

somthing like this
http://www.tractorsupply.com/w...ge=true&Special=false

the rest of the time i just leave my shoes on.

Anyway, I was doing ALOT of riding recently on my
300ex, aggressive trail riding, and jumping / wheelies / racing around this track we have in the woods.

My foot started to get sore 2 thursdays ago,
and I had a bit of a limp, but I could walk.
I tried to ride the honda, but upshifting KILLED, in shoes that is.

So friday, it felt a tiny bit better, and I laced up the boots, and was able to ride (boot took most of the upshift)
and you know how it is, once you get that adrenalin in you, you feel no pain. So I rode, I jumped, whatever.

Saturday of last week, My foot was a bit sore , but still able to hobble around, than 11pm at night, i was half passed out resting my foot on a pillow, and my damn neighbor thought it was a great time to shoot off his black powder muzzle loader.
I practically jumped out of my skin, needless to say, the sudden shock and extreme movement hurt the foot more.

I woke up at 5 am the next morning to excruciating foot pain.
It took all I had to drag my *** down stairs and get into the bathroom and start soaking the foot in warm/cold water.

This helped a bit, and eventually my friend brought over advil, a generous dose helped it even more. but no walky walky...
still no walky walky.

Its been a week, ive had my foot wrapped up/braced, been soaking in epson salt, resting and using crutches.
It feels ALOT better now, its not swollen, and I dont need
any pain meds, but when i put weight on it, i can tell it wants a bit more rest/healing.

No, I never went to the doc...
Ive had this type of thing happen before, they gave me
an air cast, and Ive been using it.
Ive also never broken a bone, and if I did break or hairline fracture my foot, I cant tell.
Seems like its the tendons / muscles that move the toes and whatnot,and across the arch of the foot, it really hurt to put downward pressure on top of foot when it first happened. not so much now tho.
I think its tendonitis,a sprain, or pulled/partially torn tendons.
I can still move everything, so I know nothing is torn completly.
All I feel right now is a slight discomfort in the foot.

ANYWAY

I want to start riding... when this is better, and I dont want to end up on crutches again.

I remember no specific event that hurt my foot, my only guess is the constant riding and jumping on pegs.

will a good pair of riding boots help my problem?

Do they take the pressure off of shifting on a manual ?

Any input, about the foot or boots?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder

Sorry to here about the foot man, but it would go get a x-ray just to be safe. I don't think that it is the boots.

how is your foot now.

just my 2 cents

Old 09-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

its pretty good, not swollen or in pain, just feels like it wants a few more days when i put weight on it, i could honestly probably
hobble around right now but id rather play it safe

I didnt mean it was the boots that did it, I mean do full length riding boots take the pressure off the foot
with shifting and jumping and put it onto the legs?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a simalar issue before thoe it endded up being a pulled calf mussel after that one issue I broke down and bought some Alpine stars tech 3 a/t boots. This is probobly the best one pice of saftey eqp that I have ever bought they are very comfy and just plain out work any other boot I have ever tried plus they do a decent job of keeping your feed dry.The long boot deff keeps you foot in the right place most of the time. I would highly recommend to any one riding any kind of bike! You eventualy learn its better to be safe that sorry! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

I wear the same type of boots as you. And I have hurt my foot a few times because those type of boots cant support your foot. You should buy some good boots, and so should I! I dont know why I keep putting it off, I guess Im waiting to break it so I can really feel dumb!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

That is odd have had no issues with my boots other than stiff buckles, they have held up great in a hard years time of riding with no problems whatsoever. Must be thes diff in our size/shape of foot! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider

was he talking to me or you?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Riding boots are much better and safer....... but a good pair of heavy work boots will also do a pretty solid job of keeping your feet healthy..... I would NOT wear shoes or sneakers at all. They just don't have the lateral stability and protection to keep your feet healthy.....

I would highly recommend checking out the Fly Stinger Shorty ATV boots..... they are 3/4 height (not 50% like most shorty boots) and they break in fairly quickly. I used to wear work boots, but after landing wrong off a jump a couple years ago I hurt my heel pretty bad..... the work boots just don't have the overall strength of the riding boots for extreme use..... it is also nice to have buckles and not have to mess with the laces on a work boot all caked in mud.....

Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Riding boots are much better and safer....... but a good pair of heavy work boots will also do a pretty solid job of keeping your feet healthy..... I would NOT wear shoes or sneakers at all. They just don't have the lateral stability and protection to keep your feet healthy.....

I would highly recommend checking out the Fly Stinger Shorty ATV boots..... they are 3/4 height (not 50% like most shorty boots) and they break in fairly quickly. I used to wear work boots, but after landing wrong off a jump a couple years ago I hurt my heel pretty bad..... the work boots just don't have the overall strength of the riding boots for extreme use..... it is also nice to have buckles and not have to mess with the laces on a work boot all caked in mud.....

Old 09-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I am not sure as I never thought of that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I guess we will just have to wait and see!

Quick Reply: Foot injuries and Riding boots