Foot injuries and Riding boots

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foot injuries and Riding boots

THIS looks like a good boot for the price.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys foots getting better!
I can walk around allright with a brace on, no crutches!
even took the scrambly out for a night ride!

Well I ended up snagging these off ebay!
Not the biggest fan of the color, but Im sure they will look better in person

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...E:B:EOIBSA:MOTORS:1123

Old 09-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Cake em mud and you'll never notice the color. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Congrats!!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Will do!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear combat boots most of the time and haven't had any foot problems except heel spurs making it hard to walk. Most of my friends wear hunting or work boots. I only know one guy who wears motorcross type boots when he rides an automatic, and not all the time. The only reason he has the boots is because he used to have a foot shifter with no floorboards. So far I haven't seen anyone with an automatic and floorboards get a serious foot injury no matter what they wore. I did see a guy on an old trike almost get his foot torn off. I think he hit a stump with his foot. His foot bent down and he hit so hard it flipped the tryke. It was black and blue and swelled up so bad he could barely get his shoe off a couple minutes later. HE should have been wearing good motorcycle boots. I think it's about what you ride and how.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Well I got the A stars in today, they seem like nice armor for my foot..

The boot pretty much splits down to the foot,

Do I adjust this, and then slip my foot in the top from then on,

or do I completely adjust it each time..

came with no directions

thanks

Old 09-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kukerdan

Well I got the A stars in today, they seem like nice armor for my foot..
The boot pretty much splits down to the foot,
Do I adjust this, and then slip my foot in the top from then on,
or do I completely adjust it each time..
came with no directions
thanks</end quote></div>

Hi There,

I have AplineStar Tech 8's... I love them... best $325 I spent! yea.. expensive.. but I bought them when I rode dirtbikes over 5 years ago! They are still holding up quite well... slight overkill for an ATV... but I'd buy another pair of Tech 8's in a second...

Yes they offer good ankle protection.. I know as I was climbing up this muddy trail.. and the rear end slipped into a rut.. well I put my foot out to prevent from tipping and sure enough my foot got lodged between the rear tire and a rock... If I was not wearing my boots.. my ankle would have been busted for sure!

I love the support the offer and the fit of the Tech 8's is nice for sure! And they have removable booties incase you swamp them.. I bought a second set of booties ya never know...

In regards to fitting the boot, usually you open and disconnect the latches each time you remove them and adjust them once... It sounds like you are not releasing the latch from the hook part, as it will stay there if you simply release the pressure from the buckle... You have to un-buckle it and keep pressing the buckle in that direction and it should snap off the metal hook.... Does that make sense?

I can take pictures when I get home later if ya want so I can show you what I am Attempting to say...

Good choice of Boot! I love my A-Stars!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Range Rover

my wife was just suddenly stricken with a terribly painful foot and it swelled up over the past few days. Doc thinks it's some kind of infection but I dunno. A co-worker suffered the same thing.
So perhaps it's nothing to do with riding a quad.

A stiff arch and sole is better for riding, since you tend to have concentrated points of contact like pegs that are higher than the floorboard (if you have them). So you want something stiff to distribute that pressure.
Over the ankle support is a must. A couple times I've gotten out of shape on a trail and my foot came off the machine and the rear tire got ahold of it (luckily nothing bad yet) and twisted it up. For that one rare occasion alone, I wear boots with ankle padding as well as just being tall.

Also, that support comes in handy off the machine as well in uneven terrain, or when you need to lift heavy objects - like righting an upside down ATV -

Waterproofing just adds comfort in not having soggy socks all day.

So real riding boots are a good idea, although it's not the only option. I even know one guy that usually wears snake proof hunting boots to ride because he rides in southern Colorado where rattlesnakes abound. Not the best 'riding' boot, but when he steps to the tree line to take a leak, he's better protected than any riding boot can offer.

I use my Icon Super Duty street boots to ride. They only cover the ankle, but it's thickly padded right there (I shattered my ankle racing motocross, so in my case that padding and support is required) and steel toed. The sole is very stiff but it distributes the pressure of my pegs better.

That's what works for me, but I'm a cripple so your mileage may vary. I need specific things to compensate for my limitations. Overall though, my criteria work for anyone.

On utility ATV's I almost always see people with hunting boots on, and sport quad riders tend to have motocross boots. Obviously the motocross boot is better in protection, but offers little in mobility off the machine.

Plus I was crippled in full race gear with Thor race boots- and still crushed my foot and pulverized my navicular bone, so even the best boots can only do so much in a truly bad situation.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TheSollyLama

So real riding boots are a good idea, although it's not the only option. I even know one guy that usually wears snake proof hunting boots to ride because he rides in southern Colorado where rattlesnakes abound. Not the best 'riding' boot, but when he steps to the tree line to take a leak, he's better protected than any riding boot can offer.
</end quote></div>

Maybe it's just me, but at that point, getting bit on the ankle would seem a lot better than some other options the snake might have. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Hahaha

Crazy Steve,
what I meant was Like can you set the boot up, so you can just slip it on each time without unwrapping the whole thing,
But Ive since put them on and off a few times, its no big deal, and you get it nice and snug, but not to snug, each time