Numbness?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Numbness?

Ok.. This is starting to annoy and worry me.. The past couple of times I have gone riding, after about 20-30 minutes into the ride, my right hand starts to go numb? I only experience this when riding my wheeler, no other time? So I have to stop for few minutes, shake it and flop it around until the feeling comes back.. Then about 10 minutes later it goes numb again? It does this the whole time I ride?

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

Old 10-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Default Numbness?

Sounds like not getting good blood flow to your hands. Do they stay cold all the time? Sometimes massages can help increase blood flow to your body's extremities.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Default Numbness?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koopa

... massages can help increase blood flow to your body's extremities.</end quote></div>

Whoa, didn't mean that to sound nasty.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:28 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Numbness?

I had carpal tunnel surgery about a year ago to stop that same thing in my left hand. Mine got real bad and I would wake up at nite with most of my arm going numb.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default Numbness?

Man, I think that might be what it is!

I DO wake up at night with my hand and sometimes arm totally numb! It seems every night is like this and then its sometimes sore the next morning.. I guess I had better go get the doc to check me for that? How DO they check you for Carpal tunnel?

Thanks guys!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:42 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default Numbness?

Sounds like it to me... it it worse the more you ride or do with the hand?

My doc sent me to a surgeon who sent me to a lady who did a shock test in my hand. Not a lot of fun but nothing as bad as waking up at nite. The test checks the nerves in your hand and arm.

The last nite I woke up with a numb arm/hand was the day before my surgery. Its like there is a new hand on my arm. I used to shake my hand all the time when riding. Now it just sits there on the grip and pulls in the clutch.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Numbness?

Yea, if I have been sitting at my desk a lot during the day it starts to hurt as well. But it does get worse as I ride. Takes the fun out of it because I barely have the ability to push the throttle in with my thumb.

Thanks again.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:06 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default Numbness?

I waited about 10 yrs longer than I should have...kinda stubborn ya know.

Go to the doc and get it checked out.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default Numbness?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: B-Dawg

Yea, if I have been sitting at my desk a lot during the day it starts to hurt as well. But it does get worse as I ride. Takes the fun out of it because I barely have the ability to push the throttle in with my thumb.

Thanks again.</end quote></div>

Do you use a computer alot? My brother is a computer guru anddoes nothing but play with them all day. He is getting carpal tunnel and my grandmother had carpal tunnel as well. And everything the docs have always said is "do you use computers alot?"

Apparently it's a major cause of it. Just a thought.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default Numbness?

Yeah, I do sit at a computer a lot. I'm a programmer of sorts so I am either using the keyboard or reading up on the equipment I am working on and when I am not using a computer I am usually installing the equipment using screwdrivers, nutdrivers, etc. So my hands usually get a good working of twisting and what not.

I just got off the phone with my mom who had this same problem a while back; hands going numb while riding her Recon and going numb other times. She said it deff. sounds like carpal tunnel to her and she urged me to go get it looked at ASAP because if it goes too long the damage can be irreversable. Plus, with it coming up on the holidays I don't want to be all bandaged and bound up from recovery. So the sooner I can get it looked at and taken care of, the better off I will be. Now its just a matter of telling my supervisor that I might be out for a few weeks. I am sure he will go all red faced and start stuttering like he does when he gets info he doesn't like. We have a bunch of system upgrades scheduled for the next few months and with me being the lead tech of our department, I get am in charge of all of them. So I am sure he will moan about waiting and all this. But hey! My health is far more important than this job is!

So keep me in your prayers guys! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Numbness?