Full riding gear really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full riding gear really necessary?

If you ride trails wear all the protection you can think of. If you ride sand wear at least Helmet, gloves, boots, and chest protector. I've heard of way too many deaths where the chest protector would have saved the life. I need to buy one ASAP. As far as jerseys and pants that's just to look pretty IMO. lol.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helmet, gloves, goggles, boots, chest protector............ I ride with all that at the very least.....

Last year I landed wrong on a small double, my right hand slipped off the bars and my chest slammed my brake reservoir so hard it moved the perch. I really didn't even feel it through my Fox Air Frame but later when I thought about it, I realized that without that chest protector that could have been a serious injury. I could have easily broken a rib at the very least. At that point I was very happy I'd been wearing one and realized that I now take it for granted......

I ride aggressive enough to know that no piece of equipment is going to save you from every injury and crash, but the more you can put the odds in your favor the better. Several of my friends have started wearing the Leatt type devices too for spinal protection which is another step I might go soon also.

Boots too IMO are worth their weight in gold...... sneakers just don't offer anything for protection....... riding boots are just so much better. Of course good work boots will help but there is nothing like a nice riding boot to keep your feet in one piece.

Pants and jerseys, those are totally optional..... I don't think jeans or a sweatshirt offer that much less protection. As long as they are in good shape and comfortable jeans are pretty strong and will not burn quickly from exhaust.

Gloves too are optional I suppose.... I would not ride without them but I've seen some people do it with no problems.

Goggles, IMO are a must.... some guys ride without them, or with sunglasses. Which I guess is OK I just don't know how they do it.... I've tried to ride with sunglasses and my eyes end up getting everything in them from dust to dirt to bugs.....

Some people don't like safety equipment much and won't wear it for one reason or another..... I will say that once you get used to it, you won't even know it is there anymore and you will feel uncomfortable without it.....

Old 11-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: xFreebirdx

To Quote MWQ:

Dress for the crash.......Not the ride. </end quote></div>

I go by this one...

I didn't buy all this stuff for my wife's next husband. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer

Helmet, goggles, gloves, and boots. I do wear a jersey, but thats to just keep some skin on my arms and back in case I take a tumble, and they seem to breathe better in the desert heat then long sleeve shirts. Seems a lot of people start to wear more when they get hurt. Example, a guy I ride with got hit in the knee with a rock, now he wears knee pads.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was riding my friend's Banshee at Little Sahara in Okalhoma, I jumped a small dune and my foot slipped off the peg, and went under the rear tire,I was wearing a Wellington boot, like a cowboy boot, but it has little to no ankle protection, so needless to say, the tire spun on my ankle and lower leg until I got it stopped, not the best feeling in the world. Motocross boots would have saved me a skinned up ankle, but then, nerf bars would have probably saved me too!, but now I wear helmet, goggles, gloves and boots when I ride, if I know I'll be hitting it hard, the chest protector goes on,too, us old guys don't heal as quick !!

Old 11-05-2008, 03:33 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Helmet and goggles. Gloves and combat boots most of the time. I don't do any stupid stunts that I need to be covered in armor from head to toe for. I just trail ride.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got a 2003 z400 and i just bought some boots. I moved my shifter up as far as i could but still can barely get my foot under it cuz i wear a size 13. How can i fix this.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Why can't you get your toes under? Are your nerf bar nets in the way? If so, loosen the net so it sags a little more. I wear a size 13 also. I have no problems on my 450R.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wear everything you got, and upgrade/buy more as you can afford. Good helmet, goggles, gloves, and boots with ankle protection, pants, long sleeve shirt would be my minimum for general trail riding etc. Anything spirited where wheels start to leave mother earth requires chest protector and knee braces as well. I plan on a neck brace by next season also. Def have to dress for the crash!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wear full gear no matter what the condition is.

BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. =0)

Quick Reply: Full riding gear really necessary?