Blending Sport and Utility

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012 | 04:10 PM

this guy... ()

a rzr can supposably go where the utilities go... i go places i wont take the rzr. I even sit on an 800 outlander and i was disgusted! I found the nimble ds 450 right next to it was where i belonged....

(like my updated smile list? )

Old 07-10-2012 | 04:33 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by TacticalRedneckofKentucky

this guy... ()

a rzr can supposably go where the utilities go...
not really- some are wider than an atv- and they are not as easy to manipulate in the trails.

i go places i wont take the rzr. I even sit on an 800 outlander and i was disgusted! I found the nimble ds 450 right next to it was where i belonged....
I think if you rode an outty or rene you'd change your mind pretty quickly. where you live, there's a lot more area to ride a sporty...

(like my updated smile list? )

you really do amuse yourself- don't you

Old 07-11-2012 | 09:11 AM
Trailblazer

I have a Wolverine 450 and like it alot. As beergut pointed out on another thread the SRA is a little of a downer, but besides that I love it. I find that if it gets a little too bouncy on rough trails I find myself standing a little on the machine to adsorb the bumps a bit. I added bigger tires too which have helped alot.

Machine does have pluses too. Relatively small and nimble. And I go places alot of sports quads never could. Rocks, mud, steep loose sand.

For me I agree the best would be to have a whole lot of machines, sport and utility, but I can't afford to. This machine seems to fit the bill for about everyhting for me.

Old 07-11-2012 | 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by mcordani
I have a Wolverine 450 and like it alot. As beergut pointed out on another thread the SRA is a little of a downer, but besides that I love it. I find that if it gets a little too bouncy on rough trails I find myself standing a little on the machine to adsorb the bumps a bit. I added bigger tires too which have helped alot.

Machine does have pluses too. Relatively small and nimble. And I go places alot of sports quads never could. Rocks, mud, steep loose sand.

For me I agree the best would be to have a whole lot of machines, sport and utility, but I can't afford to. This machine seems to fit the bill for about everyhting for me.
Exactly! Again, to me, the terrain dictates what you need. If it involves a good dose of mud and large rocky hills, give me a mix. If you have terrain that's mostly sand, open roads, etc. the sport quads are a good bet.

Old 07-11-2012 | 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by beergut

1)I think if you rode an outty or rene you'd change your mind pretty quickly. where you live, there's a lot more area to ride a sporty...

2)you really do amuse yourself- don't you

1) The pricetag doesn't seem worth it. Well... i don't know, i heard a renegade road running at it sounded pretty awesome!
Normal utility vs normal sport same price range, sport wins in my book. The utilities you like aint the utilities we have around here.

2) Some say i am easily amused

Old 07-12-2012 | 04:17 PM
Range Rover

Sport wins what? How does a SxS have anything to do with the price of tea in China? Are you reading this thread or just randomly posting about how great a sport quad is?(If you ride on flat ground or sand dunes!LOL)

Old 07-12-2012 | 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by DogRunner2
Sport wins what? If you ride on flat ground or sand dunes)

read closely, a rzr is comparable to a utility quad. I was comparing the sport to the sxs.

A normal, plain jane utility is an overkill (fail) for trails, in my opinion...

Old 07-12-2012 | 04:50 PM
Range Rover

read closely, a rzr is comparable to a utility quad. I was comparing the sport to the sxs.

A normal, plain jane utility is an overkill (fail) for trails, in my opinion...
Hardly. A sxs doesn't compare to a utility. A sporty is a total fail for the type of riding I like to do. Pretty useless,actually.

Old 07-13-2012 | 12:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

for what it is worth, i wouldn't trade for my Grizzly 450. it does everything and more that i need or require of a quad. plenty of power, nimble, still a decent size, and racks. that sonofagun moves plenty fast and quick for me. i'd buy another if my wife would let me

Old 07-14-2012 | 06:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I love how everyone discounts a sports ability to handle ruts, rocks, mud, etc. A lot of it comes down to rider skill and a properly set up machine. If you don't believe me go to a GNCC or any local scramble sometime. The GNCC are great for this as the ams and utes run in the morning while the top riders get the track AFTER the utes have run it in. Mud-usually, deep ruts-absolutely, crazy steep technical climbs-almost certainly. Even on recreational rides I have done some technical climbs on my sporty that the utes refused to do. The machines are capable, but again it is more rider skill.

As for the original question, in a perfect world we could all afford a sport quad and a ute to ride as your mood and situation dictates. I really don't have an issue with those models looking to crossover between the two or with anyone choosing to ride them. To each his own and I would expect anyone buying/setting up a machine for that purpose is probab;y not going to use his atv as I would.

Quick Reply: Blending Sport and Utility