GPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2001 | 10:22 AM
|
Pro Rider

I am wanting to get a GPS for trail riding. I don't know anything about them. So I am wondering what to look for? I basically want something that will show me where I have been and allow me to remember certain spots so I can get back to them. Please help!!!

Old 04-05-2001 | 02:37 PM
Range Rover

I too did alot of research before getting my GPS.I decided on the Garmin 12XL for several reasons. I am not sure what else you want to know since you have done some research.
I would suggest you get some type of protective cover if you mount the GPS on your 4-wheeler. Even though most units are waterproof, the dust and mud from trail rides will get down under the buttons and cause failure.
There is a picture of my 4-wheeler,GPS,Cover and mount at www.atvstuff.com. Look for GPS cover.
I like this set up because you can still operate the buttons when the cover is on and the GPS is mounted.
I have not had alot of time or experience using the GPS yet, however the GPS, cover and mount have been installed since last fall with no problems.
Good luck with your GPS.

Old 04-05-2001 | 02:51 PM
Range Rover

Sorry, I re-read your question. The Garmin line of GPS units have the most accessories so it seems. The Mag.315 is another good basic unit. I did not like the Garmin E-Trex due to fact the buttons are on the side.This makes the unit difficult to operate when mounted. I like the Garmin 12 models.They give you all the basic infomation,water proof, (not just water resistant)
the 12s have been around a long time and I think are more "user friendly".The only difference between the 12 and the 12XL is the built in US data base.Look at GPS City www.gpscity.com. you can see all the different models and compare.

Old 04-05-2001 | 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey,

I've got the magellan 315. Pretty easy to use and works well for trail riding...Maybe that cover is a good idea too.

Marking a "spot" is a one button operation. When you get to the spot, just press "Mark" and give it a name. If you ever need to find it again, press the goto button and choose the name you want to go to.

It has a real basic map which shows you in reference to your waypoints, a speedometer, compass and alot of other things I've yet to use. It will even make a route so you can easily backtrack.

Hope this helps.

JM

Old 04-05-2001 | 09:13 PM
Range Rover

Hi; The newer GPS receivers are 12 channel, and are much quicker in picking up the satellites. Don't get a used one unless you are certain that it is a 12 parallel channel type.
In Utah, I believe the need for an external antenna isn't necessary. If you do plan on riding in heavy woods, look for a receiver with an external antenna jack, and plan on buying one.
My 1st GPS receiver was (and is) a Garmin 12XL.
It has been extremely reliable and a faithful unit. I still use it for hiking because it is fairly efficient on battery power. When on my quad, though, I use a cigar lighter connection.
I decided to get a 2nd GPS receiver; a Lowrance GM100. It has the entire Paiute Trail in the CD database that came with my unit. (The CD is now optional extra). You can load the trails for your region using the supplied cables from your PC to the GM100. In addition, you can add your own trails using a third party program from "OziExplorer". The lowrance GM100 eats batteries, so I almost never use it without the cigar lighter. If your quad doesn't have one, it is fairly easy to install one.
There are a bunch of new GPS receivers coming out from Garmin almost every month, so go to Garmin's site and look them over. I'm waiting for a new Lowrance receiver that has been promised for over 6 months now and is still not available.
Plan on some quality time with your new GPS receiver manual. I found the learning curve fairly steep. It took a while for me to use the receiver without hauling along the manual, which is not oblivious to the elements.
There's a newsgroup on GPS receivers; "rec.geo.satellite-nav". They have a ton of info on receivers and topo maps, etc.
Good luck.

Old 04-05-2001 | 11:11 PM
Range Rover

I like my Garmin ETrex. Its simple to use, has a easy to see display for the units overall small size and it doesnt seem to need a protective case (so far anyway). It does what you are saying that you want it to. You can't load maps into it, but is good at making a route of where you have been and the backtrack function even tells you if you have a turn coming up. Its not as fancy as lot of others but for the money its a good buy IMHO.
I think though no matter what unit you buy, you will grow to wonder why you didn't get one sooner. I know I will never go to an unfamilar riding area without one. I like knowing exactly what direction I need to go to get back to the truck instead of driving around lost for an hour trying to figure it out

Old 04-06-2001 | 02:59 AM
Range Rover

Garmin ETrex. Simple to use, inexpensive ($120) - so if you break it - it won't break the bank. Very good features for the price. There is an excellent mount system available for your specific needs. For information on mounts and other GPS systems I recommend
www.freshtracksmaps.com/gps.htm - They are very good.

Old 04-09-2001 | 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

I don't have any experience with and other brands, but I really like my Garmin GPS 12 Map. I got the Mapsource CD, and like being able to upload/download info between it and my laptop. I also got a R-A-M Mount made especially for it from Cabela's.

Old 04-09-2001 | 11:59 PM
Range Rover

Do these units actually stand up to the constant bashings from the trails?I Best know as much as possible before buying one.And do you need a masters in communications to operate one?

2000 xplor 400 4x4
many xtras

Old 04-10-2001 | 04:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have to side with the guys who have the Garmin GPS 12 series. They were the best buy something like 3-4 years ago when I bought mine and I believe that the Garmin GPS' still carry more memory than any other brand. When I was buying, the Garmin units all had at least 500 waypoints and 20 routes, the Magellin units had 100 waypoints and 5 routes. I have come nowhere near using even 100 waypoints, but I guess I like having the ability to map 500 points in the world. If I had to do it all over again now, I might step up to the GPS12 Map, other than that, I'm sure I'll buy another Garmin GPS when I find a reason to buy one.