No spark on 98 polaris mag 425

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark on 98 polaris mag 425

I have a 1998 polaris magnum 425 4x4 and i have lost spark i check all ground and hots everything is good. I have no spark when pull starting and only one spark after i left off the starter i replace the cdi box,stator,plug wire and cap, volt regulator and starter solenoid and i also check for any play in the crank and everthing is fine. Im at a lost on what the problem is its been going on for year now. I rode it one day just fine the next day went to start it and it never fire up just always crank over.

also forgot to mention that i will get one spark turning the key off as well. I only get one spark after letting off the starter and one spark by turning the key off or sliding the run/stop switch off.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull the black wire from the cdi at the terminal board and see if you have spark. If you have spark then you probably have a wiring short or short in the ignition switch or left control switch that ties into the cdi kill circuit.Left control switch was a common item to have to replace.If you don't have spark after pulling the cdi wire, pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module(#17 on the break down) also and check for spark. These modules will fail sooner or later and they can cause problems.

Attached Thumbnails No spark on 98 polaris mag 425-5c38c0e70b3419ed921dd67cd2d8358bf244b629.png  
Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I tried pulling the black wire from the cdi box and i got no spark at all. Pulled the wire from the rev limit and still have the same problem as before only spark after i let off the starter.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by CaseyF
I tried pulling the black wire from the cdi box and i got no spark at all.
May be wrong but sounds like the problem is between the stator,pick up coil and the cdi. Also see if you have spark just using the recoil starter with all blacks unplugged. If you don't have spark,possible that you have a problem between the stator and the cdi even though they may be new. If aftermarket Chinese parts I'd go through the stator specs in the manual as some Chinese parts are hit and miss. 1998 Polaris Magnum 4X4 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 11-14-2017, 04:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
May be wrong but sounds like the problem is between the stator,pick up coil and the cdi. Also see if you have spark just using the recoil starter with all blacks unplugged. If you don't have spark,possible that you have a problem between the stator and the cdi even though they may be new. If aftermarket Chinese parts I'd go through the stator specs in the manual as some Chinese parts are hit and miss. 1998 Polaris Magnum 4X4 Service Manual PDF Download

i just put all of my old parts back on expect for the pulse trigger. And now i only get one spark once i hit the starter and not after i let off the starter. And i check all the black wires like i did to the new parts as you said and it all comes out fine. Do you think that my stator is bad or the pulse trigger is bad. Ive seen other post about the trigger.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look at the problem this one poster had on aftermarket parts. He enlarged the pick up coil bracket holes to be able to move the coil inward. This solved his problem. May help on yours. Look at post#5.https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...-no-spark.html

Old 11-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did look at that and i just respace it and now i can get a spark with my pull rope but just one. Now im wonder if my spark plug coil is bad. My new and old one give me one spark but at different times. Now when my new stator was on i got a spark when i let off the stater and no spark pulling starter but now with my old stator i got spark once i hit the starter and one spark pull starting. Do you think before i buy a new one that my coil is bad?

Old 11-15-2017, 01:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Primary (Coil Tab to coil ground) .3 ohms
Secondary (Coil Tab to Plug Wire End) 6.3 K ohms
(Spark Plug Cap Removed)
Plug cap 5 K ohms resistance.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry it toke a long time to reply but i ohms it out 3 times and its never the same but it always ohms out highter then its supposed to be. Mind you im useing a lowes ohm meter as well.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If in doubt on a meter buy a good one or borrow one. Not that much more for a good auto ranging meter. Just check around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Updated-Aut...8AAOSw1T5ZnErX