Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the heads up, I will run this oil till the next change which is next summer and then go to the regular. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I do not run the quads rough or in extreme heat conditions. We run them just for recreation.

Old 10-13-2001, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Some time ago a post was made which referenced an industry overview of motor oils. It rated the different brands of motor oil according to their performance in several different areas that are often used for this purpose. Rather than paying close attention to relative performance of each brand, what caught my attention was information the author provided about the makeup of multi-viscosity oils. In a nutshell, the author stated that you are best to use one that carries a more narrow viscosity range, say 10W-30 as opposed to 10W-40. The reason (which seems to make sense) is that it take more non-lubricating additives per unit volume to create an oil with a wider viscosity performance. In other words, a can of 10W-30 has more oil and less additives than a 10W-40 oil.

Old 10-13-2001, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

So let it be written, so let it be done....

Thank You, this forum is great. The web site is great and very informative.

Thank You again

Old 10-14-2001, 03:04 AM
Trailblazer

As I said earlier, most people do as they please and are perfectly happy using oil designed for cars. Motorcycle manufacturers don't void warranties if you use car oils, that is correct, and the reason is simple: oil designed for cars (with those little friction modifier rascals) don't damage notorcycle motors. In some cases they do damage the clutch plates and keep doing so for several flushings after. THAT ISN'T PART OF YOUR WARRANTY . "What's that you said? it damaged the clutch plates, why isn't it?": because the clutch plates, like your brake pads are NORMAL WEAR ITEMS; read any warranty, normal wear items aren't included UNLESS the dealer wants your repeat bussiness, and takes care of it on his own. Racing WILL void your quad's warranty (not your MX bike's warranty though, since it's "designed for it", also letting your dealer know that you've acted out your X-Games fantasies on your new purchase and broke an axle, frame, whatever, will acomplish the same thing. All that said, as stated earlier, it's not often that clutch slippage happens due to improper oil, though it does, and most folks CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE; a few can, usually people who are very sensitive to their bikes state of tune.

Old 10-14-2001, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

I've been using Mobil 1 15W50 in all our quads (TRX90, 250X, 318X, 250EX, Recon, & 400EX) since '95 and have had no problems at all. Mickey Dunlap of Four Stroke Tech is the one who recommended me to use it.

Old 10-14-2001, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer

I OWN A'01 GRIZZLY,HOW WELL ARE THESE SYNTHETICS IN THESE QUADS WITH AUTOMATIC TRANNY

Old 10-14-2001, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

see next post

Old 10-14-2001, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Synthetics are great for an automatic quad.
Even if you don't believe in extended drain intervals, or do EXTREME stuff with your quad.

The obvious benefits, because it is slipperier are reduced wear, reduced heat, better fuel economy and more power.

Synthetics will also keep the internals of your engine cleaner longer, resist formation of acids and sludge and burns cleaner.

Synthecis cling to parts better, leaving everything coated with oil for that crucial protection when the engine is first started. They flow better in cold weather, and protect better in high temperatures.
Your engine will start easier on those cold mornings, and put less stress on the starter, battery, and alternator.

Does the inside of your engine look like this?

I use synthetic oils, grease, gear lubbe, etc in EVERYTHING.

Old 10-14-2001, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

Given that conventional oil holds over 95% of the counter space in any given store, I guess most folks just aren't smart enough to pay a lot more for oil.

Old 10-15-2001, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

LOL

No, some are never gonna try anything new; just keep their heads in the sand.

Others have tried it and not been impressed (there is more than one brand of synthetic and they are NOT created equal).

Many others are watching to see how it works for everyone else - and synthetics' acceptance *is* growing. There are a lot less skeptics than there were 20 years ago.

And some are, well just face it: cheap!

It is interesting how little you see synthtics here in the ATV world, yet widely accepted over on the TDR website which caters to Dodge TurboDiesel pickup trucks. You will find a lot of AMSOIL users there; and very few AMSOIL users but many MOBIL-1 users over on the Corvette Forum (Corvettes have factory-filled with Mobil-1 and recommended for years) .. and of course, skeptics everywhere!

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil