Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pappy

Check out the information in the following websites:

Motorcycle Motor Oil

Moto Tech

What do you think about this information? I found it pretty interesting reading. I have been running Mobil 1 15W50 in my 400ex since the first oil change and haven't had a problem. I may switch to 20W50 Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil next summer. I would run the Amsoil as I think it is also a good oil, just not widely available in this area right now.

I am not really trying to save money when changing the oil. I want the best protection. I paid over $5,000 for this machine and I am not about to go "cheap" on the oil changes to save a few bucks. BTW, the 10W40 regular oil that Honda put in and recommends, was already starting to break down after about 10 hours and you could smell a little oil burning out the exhaust. Since changing to the Mobil 1 15W 50, it hasn't burned any at all.

I will be coming through your area on Saturday on my way down to Wayne. Another abusive day for the machine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2001, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

<< Given that conventional oil holds over 95% of the counter space in any given store, I guess most folks just aren't smart enough to pay a lot more for oil. >>

Spring

Given that rationalization, since 85% of the local convenience store is made up of beer, cigarettes, and chew, I guess these are the best products on their shelves?

They make different oils for different needs. I use regular 5W30 Castrol in my wife's car. It runs mostly highway miles and is never driven rough. In my truck, I use Mobil 1. It is primarily driven short distances during the week and is used for towing/hauling on the weekends. I want the extra protection that the synthetic offers for these uses. Since its my money, its my choice. I am glad that as consumers, we have these choices and not just one brand of regular oil to choose from.

Old 10-15-2001, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Two good articles MagnumMudMan, they reiterate earlier thoughts: running a good automotive oil won't kill your bike motor. As stated in the first article, there are reports of SOME owners experiencing clutch slippage, and motorcycle owner manuals (as stated in the first article) usually mention that the use of graphite and moly in the oil's composition isn't recomended (because of the wet clutch). I use Amsoil motorcycle oil in my 400Ex and Honda HP Trans oil in my 250R. I did use Castrol Syntec in the 250R a couple years ago as an experiment, and I did notice less contact in my clutch plates (not much, nothing to get excited about). After flushing and changing over, it went away. My boys ride MX 125 bikes and THEY could tell inmediately when I changed them over to Castrol, even though I didn't tell them (blind experiments are better). A 125 MX bike does get much more clutch abuse than a larger motor though, so that may have had an influence. Anyway, they disliked it so much that THEY CHANGED THEIR OWN OIL BACK! That took me by surprise, since they're always ready to ride, but not work.
Maybe I've found a way to get my kids to maintain their bikes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Hey MagnumMudMan, I've never rode in a National Forest, but I've heard they're a little crowded on weekends, with the two way traffic and all. Are they pretty safe in that respect?

Old 10-16-2001, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

Pappy

Where do you get the Amsoil motorcycle oil? There is a local store that sells Amsoil auto type oil, but not the motorcycle blends. I can't believe you live so close to Wayne National Forest and have never rode there. It has some great trails. As for safety, the only close calls that I have had with oncoming traffic were with dirt bikes racing each other two wide on the trails. Otherwise, most everyone is real patient and courteous. On most places on the trails, you are not going that fast and can see down the trails far enough to see other riders coming. Common sense also is a must. Don't cut blind corners and pay attention up ahead of you. I think Silver Lake is more dangerous than Wayne and Silver Lake is wide open riding. If you ever want to ride Wayne, let me know. I get down there several times a year. I generally meet a group of riders that I met at the another website.

Old 10-16-2001, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer

As for the Amsoil, there's an auto repair shop close by where I take the jobs I can't do (that require engine diagnostic equipment) and the owner is an Amsoil dealer. It's a little cheaper than ordering direct from Amsoil, about $4.50 a quart vs $6. I ride mostly at: Honda Hills, an occassional hare scramble, a friend's track, behind my house, and a couple of times a year at Silver Lake (but only during the week, I don't do Silver Lake weekends). If you're willing, we'll hook up next spring for a Wayne ride. Everybody says it's huge, that the trails go for miles. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2001, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

pappy

Is there an Amsoil dealer locator on the net? As for Wayne, look me up in the spring. I have been riding with a good group from the A-T-V- TIME website (silly that you can't type rival websites in this forum). We have a mixed bag of riders and really have fun covering some miles. Take care.

Old 10-16-2001, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

Yep, it's http://www.amsoil.com/ and you can order anything made by Amsoil directly from there, or go to the dealer directory. Actually, if you can get several orders together to make it worthwhile, you can pay the $20 yearly &quot;preffered customer&quot; fee, and get a very good discount, on a par with buying from a dealer, even with shipping costs thrown in. They have filters too, but I see no real need, there's plenty good filters around.
I'll contact you in the spring for that Wayne ride, bet on it.