Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh knowledgeable ones,

This forum is great isn't it? I always find something new here. But now I must ask a question.

I run Mobil1 15-50 synthetic in my 95 Warrior and really like it. Immediatly I noticed easier shifts and what I think are lower engine temps. Top end seems quiter too. No clutch problems at all.

How does synthetic work in auto cluthes? (foreman 400) any problems? I hear some say it's OK and some say don't do it. Your thoughts please.

ER

Old 10-05-2001, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Fat head engineers with PHD after there names that work for the manufactures make recomendations in the owners manual. If they don't recomend it, I won't either.

Charlie

Old 10-05-2001, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

I've never had a single problem using it. My suggestion is try it, and if you don't like it, don't use it. You will not hurt anything.

Old 10-06-2001, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

Actually that's not entirely accurate: you might hurt something, though not seriously so. Motorcycle oils, whether synthetic or petroleum based, DO NOT have friction modifiers like car oils do. The reason is (you guessed it) the wet clutch system on most motorcycles/quads. What happens when you use a motor oil designed for cars/trucks, is that the additives designed to combat friction eventually are permanently absorbed by the clutch plates, this in turn will cause some unwanted slippage. Even though some riders never notice it, it's quite obvious to others (it depends on your sensitivity and actual oil used), but once you DO notice it, it's extremely complicated to get rid of it, since changing the clutch plates will not do it. The friction modifiers bond themselves to all metal parts (which is what good little friction modifiers are suppossed to do), and will migrate to the new clutch plates in a very short time, even if the correct oil is now being used. It takes time and a lot of flushings to get back to normal.
That said, most people do as they please, and many are quite content with oil designed for cars.

Old 10-08-2001, 09:32 PM
Range Rover

Some synthetics, fully or partially, contain polymer additives that are EXTREMELY bad for wet clutches, Mobil one being one...I made the mistake of using Mobil One, my entire clutch system shattered like glass....I only use Royal Purple 50w in my modded 400ex....I prefer it over the 20w-50, it doesnt burn as fast in this hot air cooled motor....I lost my drain plug on a woods ride one day, I rode for 45 mins, extremely hard before I burnt a clutch friction plate....I had zero oil, my motor was fine! I swear by royal purple, but be prepared to pay over 5.00$ a quart, but it is worth it.

Old 10-09-2001, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

Amsoil has a new 4-stroke motor oil that was made with all these considerations in mind.

Old 10-09-2001, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

I switched to mobil 15-50 and burnt the clutch in the ds and the 450ex ......my thoughts are DONT USE IT !!! peace

Old 10-09-2001, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

weird..I've used Mobil 1 5-30 in my highly modified 250R for almost 3 years, and I'm still on the same clutch.

Old 10-12-2001, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have used Mobile 1 for 4 strokes ($8.00 per qt.) for several years ain both my quads and have not had a problem. Are we using the Motorcycle type?

Old 10-13-2001, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

This topics has been thrown around a lot it seems. However here goes with what I have come to understand about synthetic oil in ATVs.

Synthetic oil will outperform conventional oil in extreme conditions such as high heat and long periods between oil changes. It's ability to outperform conventional oil under normal conditions is a matter of debate.
If you ride a sport bike very hard or pull heavy loads with a utility quad in high heat weather it may very well be worth the extra expense.

Common sense would seem to indicate however that most ATV owners are folks like me who really don't push such limits with their quads and that reason simply use conventional oil and change it at the required intervals. If it were not so, I truly believe these forums would be full of posts from owners crying to everyone else to only use synthetic oil.

As for the use of oil without "friction modifiers", again common sense would seem to indicate that an ATV manufacturer would severely limit their potential market by building one that requires such oil. And if that arguement doesn't suit you, please tell me of one ATV manufacturer that will void a warranty should the owner use a conventional oil. Heck, I don't know of any that will do so if you don't buy their brand in any form.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil