Stealing a atv?(NO im not doing it,mine got stolen)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 07:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I've never had anything stolen from (go figure). I would have never even thought of locking my ATV down (I'm in a really nice subdivision), but after reading these forums I wasn't about to take a chance. I figured 30 or so bucks and a couple minutes of my time wasn't bad though. I only lock it up in the truck, because I usually meet people before a ride, and eat breakfast or lunch. I've heard many stories of ATV's being stolen right out of the back of the truck. If I knew how to hot wire an ATV, I would probably be smart enough to follow some wires back to a hidden switch, and bypass. That's why I went with brute force method (tempered lock and cable).

Anyway, I would recommend to take ATV theft seriously, I hope anyone out there never has to learn the hard way.

Old 12-29-2001, 03:22 AM
Pro Rider

Another trick might be to put a little plastic cap on top of the sparkplug so that it couldn't get any current through it. That would make it impossible to start and i don't think a thief would even look at the top of the spark plug.

Even if an atv is impossible to start on the spot, that might not stop someone from throwing it in the back of a pickup(unless it is a ds, they're heavy!) and driving off. Locking up an atv is probably the most reliable way to protect your atv.

JaMeS

Old 12-29-2001, 10:22 AM
Range Rover

That's what I figured yamahagye, since many ATV's that are stolen aren't even in rideable or running state when they're stolen. So simply disabling the ATV from being started might not discourage most thieves. Lock 'em up, with a cable through the frame, with a good lock and tempered hooks. Also, if you can afford it, get insurance (range from 100 to 150 a year).

Old 12-30-2001, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This past summer my 400ex was stolen out of the back of my pickup at 3:30 in the morning at a hotel. I had a3/9 steel cable and a 1/2 Kritonite cable and another cable on it to my truck bed. They had some kind of cutters that were able to cut all of the cables. The 400 was pushed to the other truck and loaded up. So, if they want it they will take it, just locks on your house. All someone has to do is break a window. I found out the had way that insurance did not cover it, I thought that being in the truck it was insured, wrong.
It took 6 months but I did get it back last week. I now have a 1 inch cable and also a Kritonite lock thought the rear sproket so it can't be rolled. But, the best now is that it is insured.
The only down fall is that I had to go and buy another 400 to ride and now I have 2 and can only ride one at a time.

1999 400ex found
2000 400ex for sale

Old 12-30-2001, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

I always belived in making it as hard as you can for them and yes if they want it bad enough they will get it. Back of truck lock tailgate, park where the back of your truck is up against something, chain the bike to the truck, and a motion alarm on your truck. House in the shop behind locked doors with motion lights chained downed.
Also be ready if it does get stolen notify police right away have vin # ready, pic. ready. Also i will not lie to you a stolen quad may not be top case at the time. So be ready to do some of your own investigation go to the riding areas have your riding buddy's look for it do what you can to help us. Like i said stolen atv's usally end up where we dont go often but where you go and where you know people go.

Old 01-03-2002, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider

those cables are way too easy to go through... i had to cut one the other day(nevermind the explanation) a hacksaw and 3 minutes is all it took.
a chain is the only way to go for any peace of mind, and the more difficult it is to get at, the better.
an alarm helps to scare them off.
insurance is a must if your machine is of any value.

Old 01-03-2002, 07:35 AM
Range Rover

Like some one posted earlier if they want it they will have it. If you will think about who would want your ride and secure it accordingly you will do yourself a favor. For example my 2000 SP 500 would/does not apeal to the younger riders that much. So I put a good quality lock on the rear brake rotor, if you don't know its there it would slow you down. I am also in the military and live on base, another plus. I think? But if I had DS 650 or a Raptor I would approach the situation a little diffrent. How long does it take to remove one tire? When you see a vehicle or quad on a jackstand or block what do you think. Its broke, right. Who wants to steal a broke quad and get laughed at by their buddies? nobody! When its in the back of your truck the best bet is a tailgate lock. On a trailer, take a tire into the motel room with you. Once again most thieves don't wanna work to much thats why they are thieves. But ins. never hurts until you have pay the premeium.

Kuntry
2000 SP 500
ETC....................

Old 01-11-2002, 10:25 PM
Range Rover

hey dual-sporter, I think you meant that the smaller cables are way too easy to cut (8-12mm). I had a chain (a large one) for our German Rotty, and it broke it. Hooked it up to a 15mm cable (made by kryptonite), and the dog never broke it again. You don't even have to hack saw chains, just hit them with a hammer and open a link. If you get a high quality cable that is 15mm, I promice you won't hack sawing through it "Way too easy".

Old 01-14-2002, 12:20 PM
Range Rover

<< I was wandering how they could steal an atv and when u file a report they dont ctach them?Are they that easy to take?Some one took mine and funked with the key swith so u plug two wires up and hit the start buttonand she fires right up.Is there a way to &quot;steal proof&quot;it?? >>

According to this thread it looks like you did steal a quad. Whats the real story here?

Read the theft story here..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

YellowTRX400EX
(Trailblazer)
Mooresville, North Carolina

Saturday, January 12, 2002 9:24 AM

Well yal aint gonna like this but i helped steal an atv.The boy said he baught it so i took it home in my truck.Then i got arrested and all.I really didnt steal it like yall talkin about,but im gonna make sure next time ones paid for

Old 01-16-2002, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

I have to agree with all of you about taking extra precautions against theft. I was returning from Xmas vaction and decided to stop for the night in Dallas, Tx. Trying to save money, we decided to stay at a Motel 6 that had a seven ft. high security fence, one entrance or exit, and a roving security guard at night. I parked the truck and trailer directly under a security light with the tail of the trailer against a brick building to try and make it as secure as possible. None of this helped prevent the theft of my 2002 Lakota. It was stolen between 4:30 &amp; 7:30 in the morning. All the straps (8) were cut and my tool box with $700.00 in tools was taken as well. I did get the quad back within a week but with some damage. It was discovered abandoned in a bayou about 2 blocks from where it was stolen from. The low life theifs painted the fenders and front hood with black spray paint. It also suffered two dented rims on the right side. I have to replace the plastics, decals, signage, key switch, and rims. Locals Kaw shop stated $674.00 for the parts. Plus I had to pay a $129.00 fee to the Dallas PD Impound for impound fees and towing. Dallas is 400 miles one way from my house as well. The tools and toolbox were not recovered. I feel lucky to have my Lakota back and will gladly pay for fixing it as it a great little quad and very fun machine to ride. All together I am out $1874.00 in this ordeal. It was an very expensive lession, but one that I will learn from. From now on, I only hual my quads in an enclosed trailer with a battery powered alarm system. It cost me some bucks get the security system set up to be battery powered, but at least I can sleep at night. As far as the house...I'm also a card carrying PROUD NRA member and believe that everone has the right to defend his home and property. Enough said.

Best Regards to All
Dale

Quick Reply: Stealing a atv?(NO im not doing it,mine got stolen)