Stealing a atv?(NO im not doing it,mine got stolen)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must say to all! After having my Atv stollen 2 weeks ago I know how it feels[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But from my exterence A chain nor cable nor lock will keep someone from taking a bike or anything. My bike was cable locked to back of camper bumper behind locked gates at hunting Club; and the scumbag cut the gate lock and my 3/8" steel cable behind the lock. Then drove with tilt trailer and pushed my bike onto it and drove away. (but did leave my camo tarp behind.) So a lock will keep an honest man honest, but a crook is a crook. (I just wish that an aftermarket product would come out that would keep wheels from turning when key is out of bikes! Or maybe something that would keep bike in gear after key was removed.)[b]As a anti -theft device......thats my sad story...2centsworth!

Old 01-19-2002, 01:06 PM
mrl
Weekend Warrior

I was actually wondering about this too, how to prevent theft. I just got my 250ex about 4 days ago. Someone mentioned an aftermarket part for anti-theft, and am curious if all atv's utilize a 'parking brake' like on my 250ex. While the left or rear brake lever (since it's got an automatic clutch) is pulled back you can lock it in place with a little clip, and was wondering if there's something you can put around this and lock, so that the brake stays locked. Right now, I have no shed to put my bike in, so it has to stay in the garage. I'm not worried about it being stolen yet, because they would have to lift it over two cars that have alarms on them, but in the future it will be moved outside into a shed, and i want it to stay where i put it. Does anyone make this, or could anyone rig something up to make an anti-theft device to work for them? That way the wheels won't move and you can't just roll it off. Pushing a 400lb+ bike that can roll, and carrying one that can't might be a little bit of a deterent. Who knows.

Old 01-19-2002, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

mrl,

I also own a couple of Harleys and keep them in my garage. I think I have the solution that you are looking for. When I bought them I was very concerned about someone stealing them as they are both custom bikes. I found a disk brake lock that is solid metal and would be very hard to cut off with either bolt cutters or a saw. There is no exposed pins or links that can be cut when it is installed. The thinnest part of the metal is about an inch thick and ,due to its shape, does not lend itself to being cut very easily. It is shaped like a "U" and installs on one of the holes in your brake disk. The opening at the front (top of the U) is just wide enough to allow you to slip it over the brake disk. I bought it at the local motorcycle shop and I think it is put out by Krypton. I now have one on each of my Harleys and both of my Quads. They also come powder coated safety orange so that you don't forget to remove them before riding. It won't stop them from manually carrying any of them off, but its some piece of mind when they are parked in the garage or in some parking lot. I use these locks and some 3/4" tempered long link chain that I got from my job off shore to secure them to the floor. This type of chain requires a torch or power hacksaw to cut. I've tried several times to cut it with a hacksaw and could barely dent it after 20 minutes of hard work. If they stand still that long....It won't be the police I call, maybe an ambulance...if I'm in a good mood.

Hope this helps.
Dale

Old 02-07-2002, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Where do you get atv insurance at?

Old 02-08-2002, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer

Most any insurance companies will sell you insurance for your ATV. IMO it is the only way to go. Most if not all lock, cable, chain combinations can be cut through with a bolt cutter that can be bought at any local hardware store. As far as needed to use a torch to cut something, most welding shops sell portable torch kits that can be carried with one hand. Don't get me wrong put a lock on it to make it more difficult, and insurance does not prevent someone from stealing you ATV.. But a least you will have the settlement cash to get a new ride. Good Luck!!!!