Octane Rating Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2000, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read an article 2 or 3 months ago about Octane Rating {higher number, slower burning}. I can't remember if it was in the Forum section or Tech. Connection section. Can anyone help me find this article? Thanks for any help!

Old 02-09-2000, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

You might try the search feature in the upper right hand corner of your screen. I'm not trying to be a smart a** but that has helped me several times.

Old 02-09-2000, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Rangercd
Yes, I have already tried the search feature. Thanks anyway.
Bluestreak

Old 02-09-2000, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Rangercd
Bluestreak

Old 02-09-2000, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Rangercd
Bluestreak

Old 02-12-2000, 02:41 AM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bluestreak.. This is a Quote from Dirtwheels:
What is the fascination with high octane fuel? It won't make your bike faster or more powerful.In fact it makes the machine harder to start in cold weather, because the higher the octane rating,the harder it is to get the fuel to burn. The idea behind a higher octane rating is to prevent pre-ignition or pinging when using higher compression ratios. There is simply no benefit to using a higher octane fuel in a stock motor once the pinging has been eliminated at a given compression ratio. You can go over 100 octane if you want and spend as much as you want per gallon, but it wont help a stock motor.

Old 02-12-2000, 02:42 AM
r34
Pro Rider

What is the fascination with high octane fuel? It won't make your bike faster or more powerful.In fact it makes the machine harder to start in cold weather, because the higher the octane rating,the harder it is to get the fuel to burn. The idea behind a higher octane rating is to prevent pre-ignition or pinging when using higher compression ratios. There is simply no benefit to using a higher octane fuel in a stock motor once the pinging has been eliminated at a given compression ratio. You can go over 100 octane if you want and spend as much as you want per gallon, but it wont help a stock motor.

Old 02-12-2000, 02:43 AM
r34
Pro Rider

Old 02-12-2000, 02:44 AM
r34
Pro Rider

Old 02-12-2000, 02:46 AM
r34
Pro Rider

Quick Reply: Octane Rating Question